The Accidental Tourist Reviews

October 14, 2010
William Hurt sure made some really great movies back in the 80s and 90s. I cant say that I have watched anything lately that he has starred in. This movie was very good. I had a hard time getting past Geena Davis and her horrible 80s fashion, but I guess that I cant blame the movie itself...just the era. This movie had a very nice ending, which is always a plus for me.
mwilliams078
½ March 22, 2009
The Accidental Tourist starring Geena Davis, William Hurt and Kathleen Turner is a very good film based on the best selling novel.

William Hurt and Kathleen Turner play a couple who's child passes away which places a lot of strain on the marriage. The couple divorces and in comes an off the wall lady into his ife (Geena Davis). She re introduces a new passon in his life...Geena Davis won the Oscar for the Best Supporting Actress and rightfully so.
February 23, 2008
The thing I really love about Kasdan's scripts is that he tells us what happened without TELLING us what happened. A little slow past the first half but still neatly wrapped with great underscored humor. I love Welsh Corgis!
deano
November 19, 2006
Average gentle, wryly amusing study of love triumphing over indifference.
August 3, 2011
A marvelous cast and an interesting story pretty much insures that this film would strike a chord with this viewer. Geena Davis as Muriel Pritchett, William Hurt, as Macon Leary, and Kathleen Turner as Macon's ex-wife, Sarah, headline, but the supporting cast, including Amy Wright, Bill Pullman and Ed Begley, Jr. are outstanding as well. The tale revolves around a travel writer who slides through life trying to remain unaffected by his travels and inspires others to do the same. But, the murder of his son devastates his world and it takes the prodding of a quirky dog trainer to force him to awaken from his resulting stupor. There were many lighter moments in the film, mostly supplied by Macon's eccentric siblings, but the loss of a child hung over the film like a pall, and was accentuated by Macon's inability to connect to his feelings, or the wider world as he passed through it. There were some poignant moments in the film, when the camera revealed the otherwise masked feelings of some of the characters. There were also moments of deep frustration when it appeared that Macon was not going to make it out of his funk. This turned out to be an emotional ride, and a story of growth through what has to be one of the most devastating events any parent can endure.
May 1, 2007
William Hurt's character, Macon Leary, is the opposite of Anthony Bourdain. He's a world traveler, but unwilling to try new things or actually experience other cultures.
June 19, 2007
Cute film if not terribly memorable. If it is on free TV, it is worth giving up the time to watch.
August 13, 2012
The fact that two relatively interesting and attractive women would fawn over William Hurt's sad sack character over the course of the film (even after they've told him that he's too cold and distant for them to handle) is entirely unbelievable.
November 30, 2009
I didn't like this movie. I thought it was really boring, especially with Hurt's performance, and Davis just annoyed me.
DrLappos
½ October 18, 2007
Great film.....
½ February 22, 2013
Unusual and off-putting romantic(?) comedy(?) wherein Geena Davis won an Best Supporting Actress Award for being unusual and off-putting. William Hurt is monotone and flat in his delivery for 99% of the movie. It had something to like about it, but was, again, very, very strange.
½ March 7, 2009
the quirkiness of the characters wins me over - hurt is appropriately socially inept and davis carries the film with her bubbly contagious character.
½ November 17, 2011
I watched this film with great anticipation, knowing it was an Oscar nominee for best picture. It looked like the kind of movie I would like. Description reading like a thoughtful viewing experience, a mixture of comedy and drama. It started out pretty good, the whole thing about his son dying, but the movie quickly begins to get silly and unfocused. The main characters journey just simply is not compelling. It only scratches the surface of Hurt's character. I never once got a clear feeling of what was inside. Turner is given very short shrift in this movie too. There are no insights to her. Geena Davis's character is the film's saving grace, and I found his family of dullards to be more annoying than quirky. I was bored by this movie.
January 8, 2011
Kind of lazy in its metaphors, maybe that's the book's fault, I don't know, I can't read. Good cast though.
June 30, 2009
Hurt & Davis were good and the story and characters were interesting & original but I cannot fathom how this film backed its way into a Best Picture nomination. Good but not great.
August 27, 2007
surprisingly dull. William Hurt is one of my favorite actors, he does a good job, but he couldn't save this snooze fest. I don't get what they were trying to accomplish with this movie.
August 15, 2007
Cute, but not downright hilarious as it's hyped. William Hurt can be a very good comedic actor when he wants to be.
April 4, 2015
Being the film that won Geena Davis her Academy Award, The Accidental Tourist sounded like a well-acted feature.

Part of me expected The Accidental Tourist to be a lighthearted comedy-drama, so it was quite a surprise when the narrative dropped the bombshell on me that the central premise revolved around a character whose 12 year old son was murdered. This gives the fim an intense concept and one which would have been fairly striking back in the day of its original release. Nowadays it has been dealt wth countless times in films that I have enjoyed more, but The Accidental Tourist is still an effective example of a film which pushed the boundaries on its depiction of social issues. Looking back on it, I feel like The Accidental Tourist could have been a lot more. For its time it would have broken through the ceiling a bit, but I felt that it didn't soar because it failed to really examine the complicated depth of the characters facing such grim subject matter. The film was appropriately atmospheric because its slow pace allowed for a melancholic emptiness to proceed while John Williams' musical score did a wonderful job dramatizing the film at times. The atmosphere in the film was good, but the slow pace didn't justify itself that much.I know it is intended to give the characters time to develop and viewers time understand everything, but I felt like the film itself didn't fully understand just how complicated the situations it presented were or what it could have done with the relationships it was depicting. There was potential to get a lot deeper with The Accidental Tourist, but it was severly limited by its source material. Much of this was compensated for by the quality of the performances, but there is no denying that The Accidental Tourist could have gone a lot deeper for a film which progressed at a pace as slowly as it did.
Still, though I have never read the source material for myself I found that it had concepts which translated well to film, and this was largely thanks to the directorial work from Lawrence Kasdan. I found that despite the limitations set by the script, Lawrence Kasdan did his best to ensure that the drama developed on its own while also using a sense of style to enhance it at times. The scenery in the film is enhanced by a sense of lighting which makes eveything look a rather grim grey through its use of shadowing and the way that the camera really puts focus onto the faces of the actors above all. This help audiences feel closer to the characters and that they are really experiencing what lies beneath. But most importantly, Lawrence Kasdan really empowers his cast.
William Hurt does a very strong job carrying The Accidenal Tourist in the role of protagonist Macon Leary. He finds the right level of drama to express in the role as he is able to hold a lot of his character's pain on the inside yet expressing it in other ways. He doesn't show many emotions, but you can tell through the monotonous nature of his facial expressions that he has taken too much from life for him to keep on going as he once could. The restrained nature of his line delivery reinforces this and creates a strong chemistry with both Geena Davis and Kathleen Turner, but his role is more built on the physical expression of emotions. You can see more spirit emanating as the narrative develops and his chemistry with Geena Davis gets better. The way that these two cast members interact shows them actively getting into the spirit of their characters very admirably. William Hurt works really well as the lead in The Accidental Tourist, and in the areas that the narrative comes up short he manages to still come out strong, proving himself to work very well with Lawrence Kasdan once again.
Geena Davis is the screen stealer in The Accidental Tourist. With the film promoting such a grim tone, her character is the most uplifting and spirited. It seems like a natural spirit which just emanates from within her. She doesn't separate herself from the drama in this regard because she still grasps the dark melancholy of the story with ease, but she seems so invested in bringing her character to life that she succeeds easily. She provides an excellent character for the story because of how much she assists the developent of protagonist Macon Leary. She keeps her emotions subtle enough not to fall into melodrama but expresses them effectively through her stern line delivery. Geena Davis' dramatic charisma just lights up the screen in The Accidental Tourist because it is such a serious role for her and shows just how much she can bring out in the character. Geena Davis' performance in The Accidental Tourist is most definetely one of the finest of her career because she is very many things. She is touching, she is charming, she is very likable. But above all, she is really the best reason to see The Accidental Tourist.

Kathleen Turner appears on screen a lot less in The Accidntal Tourist than you would think which is a shame considering it is another film where she teams up with director Lawrence Kasdan and actor William Hurt after their powerful work on Body Heat, but she still manages to pull her weight as part of the film. Kathleen Turner's strength comes from her ability to portray a character who is thoughtless towards protagonist Macon Leary but sympathetic at the same time due to her emotional situation. Her role is surprisingly small, but Kathleen Turner really makes a meaningful contribution to The Accidental Tourist.

So The Accidental Tourist has a powerful premise and strong directorial work from Lawrence Kasdan, and while the lack of ambitious depth and slow pace of the film may wear it down, the cast and particularly the wonderful Geena Davis really keep it going.
December 1, 2010
Movie with good purpose, but more gentle than impressive or interesting. You feel empathy for the fragility of the characters, and it has some points of fun and emotion, but donīt expect one of marvels of the world.
March 27, 2014
I wanted to like this film. I even gave it a second chance years after my first viewing to see if I missed anything. I didn't. It's dreary. I specifically remember finding the main character's family more annoying than funny in a quirky way. (The description on the video case would lead one to believe they are a highlight of the film.) I was glad reading other comments online knowing I was not alone in having had a hard time getting through the film. Geena Davis's character is not enough to breathe life into this meandering tale of redemption, which was decidedly not "bittersweet", just bitter. (Love Geena, but Michelle Pfeiffer should really have won the Oscar that year for Dangerous Liaisons.)