67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Accidental Tourist Reviews

Cynthia S

October 14, 2010
William Hurt sure made some really great movies back in the 80s and 90s. I cant say that I have watched anything lately that he has starred in. This movie was very good. I had a hard time getting past Geena Davis and her horrible 80s fashion, but I guess that I cant blame the movie itself...just the era. This movie had a very nice ending, which is always a plus for me.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

March 22, 2009
The Accidental Tourist starring Geena Davis, William Hurt and Kathleen Turner is a very good film based on the best selling novel.

William Hurt and Kathleen Turner play a couple who's child passes away which places a lot of strain on the marriage. The couple divorces and in comes an off the wall lady into his ife (Geena Davis). She re introduces a new passon in his life...Geena Davis won the Oscar for the Best Supporting Actress and rightfully so.
Alice S

February 23, 2008
The thing I really love about Kasdan's scripts is that he tells us what happened without TELLING us what happened. A little slow past the first half but still neatly wrapped with great underscored humor. I love Welsh Corgis!
deano
deano

November 19, 2006
Average gentle, wryly amusing study of love triumphing over indifference.
Mark A

August 3, 2011
A marvelous cast and an interesting story pretty much insures that this film would strike a chord with this viewer. Geena Davis as Muriel Pritchett, William Hurt, as Macon Leary, and Kathleen Turner as Macon's ex-wife, Sarah, headline, but the supporting cast, including Amy Wright, Bill Pullman and Ed Begley, Jr. are outstanding as well. The tale revolves around a travel writer who slides through life trying to remain unaffected by his travels and inspires others to do the same. But, the murder of his son devastates his world and it takes the prodding of a quirky dog trainer to force him to awaken from his resulting stupor. There were many lighter moments in the film, mostly supplied by Macon's eccentric siblings, but the loss of a child hung over the film like a pall, and was accentuated by Macon's inability to connect to his feelings, or the wider world as he passed through it. There were some poignant moments in the film, when the camera revealed the otherwise masked feelings of some of the characters. There were also moments of deep frustration when it appeared that Macon was not going to make it out of his funk. This turned out to be an emotional ride, and a story of growth through what has to be one of the most devastating events any parent can endure.
Byron B

May 1, 2007
William Hurt's character, Macon Leary, is the opposite of Anthony Bourdain. He's a world traveler, but unwilling to try new things or actually experience other cultures.
John B

June 19, 2007
Cute film if not terribly memorable. If it is on free TV, it is worth giving up the time to watch.
Alec B

August 13, 2012
The fact that two relatively interesting and attractive women would fawn over William Hurt's sad sack character over the course of the film (even after they've told him that he's too cold and distant for them to handle) is entirely unbelievable.
Erin C

November 30, 2009
I didn't like this movie. I thought it was really boring, especially with Hurt's performance, and Davis just annoyed me.
DrLappos
DrLappos

October 18, 2007
Great film.....
February 22, 2013
Unusual and off-putting romantic(?) comedy(?) wherein Geena Davis won an Best Supporting Actress Award for being unusual and off-putting. William Hurt is monotone and flat in his delivery for 99% of the movie. It had something to like about it, but was, again, very, very strange.
March 7, 2009
the quirkiness of the characters wins me over - hurt is appropriately socially inept and davis carries the film with her bubbly contagious character.
youngnastyman88
November 17, 2011
I watched this film with great anticipation, knowing it was an Oscar nominee for best picture. It looked like the kind of movie I would like. Description reading like a thoughtful viewing experience, a mixture of comedy and drama. It started out pretty good, the whole thing about his son dying, but the movie quickly begins to get silly and unfocused. The main characters journey just simply is not compelling. It only scratches the surface of Hurt's character. I never once got a clear feeling of what was inside. Turner is given very short shrift in this movie too. There are no insights to her. Geena Davis's character is the film's saving grace, and I found his family of dullards to be more annoying than quirky. I was bored by this movie.
January 8, 2011
Kind of lazy in its metaphors, maybe that's the book's fault, I don't know, I can't read. Good cast though.
jscottcorley
June 30, 2009
Hurt & Davis were good and the story and characters were interesting & original but I cannot fathom how this film backed its way into a Best Picture nomination. Good but not great.
August 27, 2007
surprisingly dull. William Hurt is one of my favorite actors, he does a good job, but he couldn't save this snooze fest. I don't get what they were trying to accomplish with this movie.
MovieGuruDude72
August 15, 2007
Cute, but not downright hilarious as it's hyped. William Hurt can be a very good comedic actor when he wants to be.
March 27, 2014
I wanted to like this film. I even gave it a second chance years after my first viewing to see if I missed anything. I didn't. It's dreary. I specifically remember finding the main character's family more annoying than funny in a quirky way. (The description on the video case would lead one to believe they are a highlight of the film.) I was glad reading other comments online knowing I was not alone in having had a hard time getting through the film. Geena Davis's character is not enough to breathe life into this meandering tale of redemption, which was decidedly not "bittersweet", just bitter. (Love Geena, but Michelle Pfeiffer should really have won the Oscar that year for Dangerous Liaisons.)
July 5, 2011
I really really liked William Hurt in this. He's mastered the subtle character that he plays so well, especially in this very funny and interesting movie.
June 11, 2013
Low-key and civil. Deep and delicate meanings cleverly wrapped together.