The Accidental Tourist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Accidental Tourist Reviews

October 14, 2010
William Hurt sure made some really great movies back in the 80s and 90s. I cant say that I have watched anything lately that he has starred in. This movie was very good. I had a hard time getting past Geena Davis and her horrible 80s fashion, but I guess that I cant blame the movie itself...just the era. This movie had a very nice ending, which is always a plus for me.
mwilliams078
½ March 22, 2009
The Accidental Tourist starring Geena Davis, William Hurt and Kathleen Turner is a very good film based on the best selling novel.

William Hurt and Kathleen Turner play a couple who's child passes away which places a lot of strain on the marriage. The couple divorces and in comes an off the wall lady into his ife (Geena Davis). She re introduces a new passon in his life...Geena Davis won the Oscar for the Best Supporting Actress and rightfully so.
February 23, 2008
The thing I really love about Kasdan's scripts is that he tells us what happened without TELLING us what happened. A little slow past the first half but still neatly wrapped with great underscored humor. I love Welsh Corgis!
deano
November 19, 2006
Average gentle, wryly amusing study of love triumphing over indifference.
August 3, 2011
A marvelous cast and an interesting story pretty much insures that this film would strike a chord with this viewer. Geena Davis as Muriel Pritchett, William Hurt, as Macon Leary, and Kathleen Turner as Macon's ex-wife, Sarah, headline, but the supporting cast, including Amy Wright, Bill Pullman and Ed Begley, Jr. are outstanding as well. The tale revolves around a travel writer who slides through life trying to remain unaffected by his travels and inspires others to do the same. But, the murder of his son devastates his world and it takes the prodding of a quirky dog trainer to force him to awaken from his resulting stupor. There were many lighter moments in the film, mostly supplied by Macon's eccentric siblings, but the loss of a child hung over the film like a pall, and was accentuated by Macon's inability to connect to his feelings, or the wider world as he passed through it. There were some poignant moments in the film, when the camera revealed the otherwise masked feelings of some of the characters. There were also moments of deep frustration when it appeared that Macon was not going to make it out of his funk. This turned out to be an emotional ride, and a story of growth through what has to be one of the most devastating events any parent can endure.
May 1, 2007
William Hurt's character, Macon Leary, is the opposite of Anthony Bourdain. He's a world traveler, but unwilling to try new things or actually experience other cultures.
June 19, 2007
Cute film if not terribly memorable. If it is on free TV, it is worth giving up the time to watch.
August 13, 2012
The fact that two relatively interesting and attractive women would fawn over William Hurt's sad sack character over the course of the film (even after they've told him that he's too cold and distant for them to handle) is entirely unbelievable.
November 30, 2009
I didn't like this movie. I thought it was really boring, especially with Hurt's performance, and Davis just annoyed me.
DrLappos
½ October 18, 2007
Great film.....
April 3, 2013
I do believe that it's the only Lawrence Kasdan movie that I really enjoyed. Terrific performances from all actors, besides I'm on traveling right now, and gotta learn from Hurt's character.
½ February 22, 2013
Unusual and off-putting romantic(?) comedy(?) wherein Geena Davis won an Best Supporting Actress Award for being unusual and off-putting. William Hurt is monotone and flat in his delivery for 99% of the movie. It had something to like about it, but was, again, very, very strange.
½ October 15, 2012
The performances were nice, and the script was surprisingly a lot smarter and more clever than most romantic comedies coming out at the time. But William Hurt was ungodly boring as the lead. He was so unenthusiastic and monotone throughout the whole thing that he had me falling asleep during crucial scenes.

I like Hurt in a lot of stuff, but this is not one of his better roles. I still recommend you go see the movie though. It's one of the few 80's adult comedies that actually stands the test of time.
½ March 7, 2009
the quirkiness of the characters wins me over - hurt is appropriately socially inept and davis carries the film with her bubbly contagious character.
August 17, 2011
A great film, it balances scenes of emotional horror and humor to make the most poignant, well-acted character study I have ever seen. Filled with so many authentic, beautiful moments, we as viewers feel the relationships of the characters, causing the film's final moments to have incalculable impact.
½ January 8, 2012
How to Travel and Never Connect

Okay, so business travel isn't the same as non-business travel. Still, I can't believe that it would be your goal to avoid all semblance of actually being in a place, even if you're only there because you have to be. I've never had a job where I was going to travel for it, but I know people who have. At least one of them has asked me for suggestions about what there is to do in a city he was only visiting on business, too. I suppose it's probably true that the majority of people going places on business would rather be home. But the idea that you would go to Paris, London, New York for any reason and spend your time there trying to pretend you're home is not one which quite fits in my head. Yes, okay, I'm probably more inclined toward a fake American restaurant in most cities than I am toward eating the local cuisine, but I'm a remarkably fussy eater, and with luck, a fake American restaurant would be close enough to American food that I could eat it. Even there, it's only some American food! But I really can't imagine going to London and not having any interest in seeing nothing but crappy restaurants, my hotel, and wherever I was going on business. Isn't that just making things more miserable?

Macon Leary (William Hurt) writes a series of books about business travel wherein he is the eponymous Accidental Tourist. The person who travels because he has to, not because he wants to--which is great, in a way, because Macon hates traveling, too. His son (Seth Granger) has died, and he and his wife, Sarah (Kathleen Turner), have grown distant to the point that she leaves him. Macon has to leave for London. Sarah's building does not accept dogs. The last place they boarded the dog, who was his son's, will not take him again, because he bit someone. So Macon leaves the dog in a new place, where Muriel Pritchett (Geena Davis) works as a dog trainer. A Goldbergian series of events, after Macon returns home, end with the dog's causing him to break a leg, and this convinces him to accept Muriel's repeated suggestion of obedience training. The more time he spends with her, the more he comes to care for her. Caring is foreign to him in a lot of ways, despite the appearance of closeness of his eccentric family. None of whom quite approve of Muriel, who is not Their Kind of People.

To their credit, I don't think it's ever that she's poor. Or lower class. She is, of course. She is also brash and tacky, which seemed to be the theme for the year, at least for actresses; Davis won Best Supporting Actress for her role, and Melanie Griffith in [i]Working Girl[/i] lost to Jodie Foster in [i]The Accused[/i]. But I think it's more that there was so much of her. Muriel has a great deal of personality, almost more than will fit even in her six-foot-tall frame. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the entire Leary family, Sarah and Ethan excepted, fall somewhere on the autistic spectrum. Probably Apserger's. Rose (Amy Wright) insists on alphabetizing their pantry, and she is very upset that Macon didn't know that "elbow macaroni" doesn't go under "noodles" or "pasta." Charles (Ed Begley, Jr.) and Porter (David Ogden Stiers) aren't drawn as clearly, but they are still that sort of distant absentminded which suggests an intelligence which doesn't know how to come out from behind itself. Porter, for example, will not accept anything to do with feelings as a positive about Muriel.

Graham, glancing at the movie at one point, commented on how impressed he was by the cast, and it's true that there are some big names in it. I haven't even mentioned Bill Pullman as Julian, Macon's publisher, yet. But I think probably the best-known of the lot at the point the movie came out was Stiers, who had been on a very highly rated TV show for some years. And I suppose there was Ed Begley, Jr., and [i]St. Elsewhere[/i]. Everyone else had made a splash of one kind or another in the years leading up to this--in fact, Geena Davis apparently read the book to Jeff Goldblum as he was in makeup on the set of [i]The Fly[/i]. However, none of them were exactly A-list. Actually, none of them ever quite made it to A-list, at least I don't think so. I think they all kind of hover somewhere between the C- and B-lists, with Geena Davis occasionally looking to rise higher. In part on the strength of the Oscar she won for this, of course. But I think this is another one of those movies which cashed in on a lot of rising stars to get attention instead of spending the money on a single big name.

While I think Muriel could be good for Macon, I really don't know what Macon could do for Muriel. I suppose she'd be living better with him than she is on her own with her son, Alexander (Robert Hy Gorman). But I think that, unless Macon learns to communicate, things would just go for Muriel the way they did with Sarah. I think Muriel is better able to force the issue than Sarah, but I don't think she ought to. I think if she stays with her work, she'll be able to afford a better life on her own soon enough, too. I think it's a common failing of this sort of movie that we aren't supposed to ask the question, though. She love him, for whatever reason, and she makes him a better person, and that should be enough. I think it's just more evidence of the idea that the assumption in movies is that the common experience is to be a well-off straight white male. We aren't supposed to have lived the life that Muriel is living; she is supposed to be the breath of fresh air who makes us realize that our own lives aren't good enough. But I think that may be what she sees in Macon--his life is better than hers, and she sees how she could be living it better than he does.
December 17, 2011
Not a great movie but it manages to change tones with ease. You're dealing with a man losing his son, his wife leaving him and he's dealing with his own issues as a very private, depressed man. But there is alot of laughs in here. The fact that i still cared about Hurt's character and wanted him to be happy is a testament to his performance.
½ November 17, 2011
I watched this film with great anticipation, knowing it was an Oscar nominee for best picture. It looked like the kind of movie I would like. Description reading like a thoughtful viewing experience, a mixture of comedy and drama. It started out pretty good, the whole thing about his son dying, but the movie quickly begins to get silly and unfocused. The main characters journey just simply is not compelling. It only scratches the surface of Hurt's character. I never once got a clear feeling of what was inside. Turner is given very short shrift in this movie too. There are no insights to her. Geena Davis's character is the film's saving grace, and I found his family of dullards to be more annoying than quirky. I was bored by this movie.
January 15, 2011
Kasdan is a deeply gifted writer and often gifted director. He takes on some different material here and turns away from murder plots and westerns. This is a thick story of strange characters and numbed emotions. Hurt portrays a steady writer who quietly carries the burden of his slain son. His wife, Turner, leaves to try and start a new life. Davis, is an odd, dog training chatter box. As husband and wife on the rocks, both leads stick to their guns and deliver with a low pulse and not quite human like Davis. She invokes more attention for her time. Loud dressing and eager to please, she courts Hurt at all costs. I liked watching her take Hurt out of his comfort zone and not give up on him. She shows us her fear in asking him to stay and not hurt her. That is her honesty and what perhaps most what Hurt was drawn to (that and perhaps her young son). Overall, the film has some laughs and some good performances but I must say that is mostly stayed at the same temperature and never got too hot or cold. It starts off flat on a plateau and never gains any ground or climbs any higher. While the writer surely prepared for this reaction and take us into the lives of some interesting people, I needed more of...something. Anything to jolt the experience even a little bit would have sufficed. (D)
January 8, 2011
Kind of lazy in its metaphors, maybe that's the book's fault, I don't know, I can't read. Good cast though.