Movies Like Action Jackson

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Action Jackson Reviews

Phil H

May 22, 2011
I love these 80's henchmen with their black outfits, mullets and inability to shoot straight. Add to that some extremely over the top action sequences and a large piece of wood in the form of Weathers and there you have it, a perfect 80's action film.

This film is your typical tough guy flick with the same kind of action as many many other classic films like 'Lethal Weapon' and 'Red Heat' etc...Funnily enough this film has a few main cast members from the Arnie vehicle 'Predator' with Landham and Duke alongside Weathers. Talking of the cast this film has a mega cast of stars/80's faces...Robert Davi, Thomas F. Wilson, Craig T. Nelson, Sharon Stone, Ed O Ross, Miguel A. Nunez Jr and the ultimate henchman Al Leong. Only guy missing here is Arnie himself.

I gotta admit I never really liked this flick as it just seems like a big action vehicle wannabe and just can't quite compete with the real big boys. I think Weathers is coming off a hot streak of films where he wasn't the main lead so the film didn't rest entirely on his shoulders.

Weathers is a good tough guy, looks good and talks the talk but I just don't think he's got enough swing to hold an entire blockbuster film all on his own. For me he works better with other big names to spar with (no pun intended) eg. 'Rocky' and 'Predator'. The same goes for the main bad guy played by T. Nelson, he's slimy but isn't quite evil or threatening enough.

Overall its a slightly unimpressive outcome but that lively 80's buzz is hard to ignore. Bit of a hit n miss non event action flick in an already flooded genre at the time.
movieguru12
movieguru12

May 6, 2008
I had just started liking Carl Weathers after I first started watching him in the Rocky movies.Boy,did my opinnion of him become greater,but I realize after his great acting in the Rocky movies as Apollo Creed,his acting as Jericho "Action" Jackson is PHONOEMENAL!!!
deano
deano

October 1, 2006
Average furious action of a black cop trying to nail the professional and evil gang.
qtmemoe
qtmemoe

July 9, 2007
one for the worst of list...
May 13, 2012
Typical 80's movie. Still good though. Doesn't have that feeling of cheap movie anywhere throughout it.
December 4, 2011
August 21, 2011
March 17, 2010
Hmm...Vanity! She can't act her way out of a paper bag, but man is she like hot...The movie was crappy, so sorry Carl
March 10, 2008
The prototypical 80's action movie. A guilty pleasure for the ages.
They really wanted Carl Weathers to be a huge action star, but he didn't have that extra something to put him Over the Top (Pardon the 80's sly flick pun)
But this definitely watchable...
Sharon Stone is smokin! and so is Vanity!
dharp3r
August 4, 2007
This movie had potential but definitely didn't live up to it. The script was bad and at times didn't make sense (I guess this was typical of movies in the 80s).There needed to be more "action" in this movie. Still, this movie is worth checking out at least to notice the flaws and admire Vanity's beauty.
February 10, 2007
This is a film that deserves credit, a great action flick starring Carl Weathers. A very underrated movie from 1988.
December 28, 2006
Craig T. Nelson, the original Karate gangsta aint no match for Carl Weather's plate glass breaking skillz!
stevesparks1971
November 15, 2006
Carl Weathers was very good in this movie. I always thought he should have been in more movies based on his preformance in this movie. He is a good actor.
steve c

April 14, 2006
favorite scenes were topless vanity and action jackson driving the car up the stairs in that fatass house.
January 24, 2014
Can't understand the 10% this movie has. It's a fun action flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's not THAT bad. It kept me watching.
filmlover1994
December 19, 2013
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
May 26, 2013
When Action Bronson explained he got his name from Action Jackson, I was once again reminded I have to see this movie. Maybe I watched it as a kid, on VHS - I had some slight flashbacks - but watching it now was pure joy. It's like The Last Boy Scout, only sillier and more over the top. You've got Apollo Creed as Jackson, 80s one hit wonder and Prince's protege Vanity as the bad girl gone good (but she was always good, yo, just in the wrong crowd), Craig T. Nelson as the slimy villain, Sharon Stone as his naive babe, and a bunch of assassins and goons that are just perfect stereotypes of the action genre. Action Bronson is a loose cannon cop, has a police captain that is always on the verge of insanity because of the damage he does while busting crime, he can fornicate with women just by looking at them, he can destroy cars with his bare hands, and has biceps as big as The Rock himself. As far as fun, action-packed, 'so bad it's good' movies go, this is a stellar masterpiece.
April 1, 2013
Wow this was really bad! The plot was borderline incoherent, the editing very poor and there really was not that much action in a movie called "Action Jackson". Still there were enough so bad its funny moments to keep this from being a 1 star film.
July 6, 2007
At least Carl Weathers had charisma. Whatever happened to him?
February 10, 2013
If your scraping the bottom of a barrel for more Carl Weathers films, then look no further. I got this gem in a walmart bargain bin for $5.