Action Jackson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Action Jackson Reviews

November 27, 2015
There hasn't been any pussy at your house since your mother helped you move in.

A corrupt business man has a grudge against former Lieutenant Action Jackson after his son was busted for sexually assaulting children. The incident led to Jackson being demoted. Jackson and the businessman run in some of the same circles, especially when it comes to women. When Jackson discovers the businessman is abusing some of his favorite dames, he springs into action for both revenge and justice.

"Have you ever had your head forcibly rammed up your ass?"
"Well, mark your calendar...that day is coming."

Craig Baxley, director of Twilight Man, Stone Cold, Bad Day on the Block, Sniper 2, The Glow, Twisted Desire, Revenge on the Highway, and Deconstructing Sarah, delivers Action Jackson. The storyline for this picture is just okay but contains some unique characters and character interactions that make this worth a viewing. The acting is cliché action genre and the cast includes Carl Weathers, Sharon Stone, Vanity, Craig Nelson, Bill Duke, Robert Davi, and Bob Minor.

"You nearly tore that boy's arm off..."
"So? He had a spare."

I must have watched this one hundred times as a kid as this was another film that was always on cable/HBO when I was a kid. This is very average and cliché but contains some great one-liners and action sequences. The film is a very mediocre action genre addition, but is a "so bad it is good" action picture for diehard fans of the genre.

"If that's for me don't answer it."

Grade: C+
½ October 26, 2015
This may be the most stereotypical 80s cop action film (think Beverly Hills Cop, Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours). All the tropes are present here: a cop with relationship problems and a temper has a boss who wants to rein him in despite being close to breaking a case. Coach plays the stereotypical sleazeball bad guy. The Black copper takes down an evil White capitalist in the over-the-top style popular in films of the genre and time. Vanity was hot. Apollo Creed as a BAMF was cool to see, and I'd love to take acting lessons from him. I wish he would have ran for governor.
½ July 3, 2015
Craig T. Nelson is evil. Action Jackson is cool. Vanity is so hot. This may be the best representation of '80s Detroit on film, ever.
May 10, 2015
Easily one of the best action films of the 80s. Legendary actor Carl Weathers stars as Jericho "Action" Jackson, a cop who is investigating a corrupt Detroit industrialist when Sharon Stone shows up and Vanity sings a song or two. Like scenes involving testicles in jars with a strong Jesus message? This film is the one you're looking for!
May 2, 2015
The plot development in this 80's action movie was so fast paced, it felt like an expression of 80's cocaine use.
½ March 22, 2015
Not a bad action movie but really not one to see a 2nd time either.
December 21, 2007
Carl Weathers deja los guantes de Apollo Creed y se convierte en un rudo policía ochentoso, en una cinta hiper-violenta, llena de clichés, superficial al máximo y con las bellas Vanity y Sharon Stone como adorno. Solo en los 80.
½ August 1, 2007
One of my favorite Carl Weathers movies from my childhood. Watching it now it seems very dated, and Craig T. Nelson is pretty laughable as the villain, but it is still a decent watch if you like 80's cheese.
January 24, 2014
Can't understand the 10% this movie has. It's a fun action flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's not THAT bad. It kept me watching.
½ December 23, 2013
This was a childhood movie that for some unknown reason (maybe cuz of the boobs?) I really thought it was cool. I watched in again for the first time in a very long time over the weekend. This has 80's cop movie all over it.
December 19, 2013
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
October 29, 2013
Comical, Sexy and Entertaining
½ April 19, 2013
Cheesy late 80's action at its finest. You really can't go wrong with this late night classic. We got Carl Weathers kicking ass, Craig T. Nelson and as the scummy bad guy with a pony tail. We got Vanity and Sharon Stone before she exploded in the early 90's (Both Nude). We also get a cast of great 80's and 90's Character actors that you know from everything. If you can get this in a multi pack this will be the highlight of your collection.
½ June 20, 2013
Following his producing success creating a series of classic 80s action films that include "48 hrs," "Lethal Weapon," and "Predator," Joel Silver produced an action film starring Carl Weather as Jericho "Action" Jackson. This film seems much smaller compared to Silver's other films, such as "Die Hard," which was released the same year as Jackson, but it's still kind of a fun 80s time capsule to unlock. Craig T. Nelson is the kung-fu fighting bad guy and Prince's ex-girlfriend Vanity is along for the ride, getting to sing a few times, and you also have Sharon Stone before she hit it big, along with Thomas F. "Biff" Wilson. You also get some iconic 80s character actors Al Leong (the Asian guy who tortures Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon," has the cleavers in "Big Trouble in Little China" and eats a candy bar in "Die Hard") and Ed O'Ross (the guy without the mole on his forehead who always played evil Russians). You also get to see 80s familiar faces Bill Duke as an archetypal shouting police captain, and Robert Davi as a tweaker. There's even an excellent 80s style music score by Herbie Hancock and Michael Kamen, with sharp action cinematography by Matthew F. Leonetti. However, the key missing elements are a witty script, which really makes you appreciate what Shane Black and Steven E. de Souza brought to their films, and a star who brings self deprecating charm or humor to the film. Arnold was not all that self deprecating in his action films, but he did almost always bring humor. Weathers is a big dude with some charisma, but he lacked the humor and charm of the best action stars. I suppose Stallone managed to get by on Rambo being a humorless characters, but he wasn't so successful in films like "Cobra." If you're in an cheesy 80s action flick sort of mod, it's worth watching, but it's far from being a n 80s classic.
May 26, 2013
When Action Bronson explained he got his name from Action Jackson, I was once again reminded I have to see this movie. Maybe I watched it as a kid, on VHS - I had some slight flashbacks - but watching it now was pure joy. It's like The Last Boy Scout, only sillier and more over the top. You've got Apollo Creed as Jackson, 80s one hit wonder and Prince's protege Vanity as the bad girl gone good (but she was always good, yo, just in the wrong crowd), Craig T. Nelson as the slimy villain, Sharon Stone as his naive babe, and a bunch of assassins and goons that are just perfect stereotypes of the action genre. Action Bronson is a loose cannon cop, has a police captain that is always on the verge of insanity because of the damage he does while busting crime, he can fornicate with women just by looking at them, he can destroy cars with his bare hands, and has biceps as big as The Rock himself. As far as fun, action-packed, 'so bad it's good' movies go, this is a stellar masterpiece.
May 20, 2013
At least shazza kept her legs closed for this one
½ May 22, 2011
I love these 80's henchmen with their black outfits, mullets and inability to shoot straight. Add to that some extremely over the top action sequences and a large piece of wood in the form of Weathers and there you have it, a perfect 80's action film.

This film is your typical tough guy flick with the same kind of action as many many other classic films like 'Lethal Weapon' and 'Red Heat' etc...Funnily enough this film has a few main cast members from the Arnie vehicle 'Predator' with Landham and Duke alongside Weathers. Talking of the cast this film has a mega cast of stars/80's faces...Robert Davi, Thomas F. Wilson, Craig T. Nelson, Sharon Stone, Ed O Ross, Miguel A. Nunez Jr and the ultimate henchman Al Leong. Only guy missing here is Arnie himself.

I gotta admit I never really liked this flick as it just seems like a big action vehicle wannabe and just can't quite compete with the real big boys. I think Weathers is coming off a hot streak of films where he wasn't the main lead so the film didn't rest entirely on his shoulders.

Weathers is a good tough guy, looks good and talks the talk but I just don't think he's got enough swing to hold an entire blockbuster film all on his own. For me he works better with other big names to spar with (no pun intended) eg. 'Rocky' and 'Predator'. The same goes for the main bad guy played by T. Nelson, he's slimy but isn't quite evil or threatening enough.

Overall its a slightly unimpressive outcome but that lively 80's buzz is hard to ignore. Bit of a hit n miss non event action flick in an already flooded genre at the time.
April 1, 2013
Wow this was really bad! The plot was borderline incoherent, the editing very poor and there really was not that much action in a movie called "Action Jackson". Still there were enough so bad its funny moments to keep this from being a 1 star film.
½ March 24, 2013
Although destined never to be mentioned in the same breath as Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sly Stallone (a pity one might argue), Carl Weathers has a good old crack at 80s action stardom in this typically ludicrous adventure, starring as Jericho "Action" Jackson - Track & Field star turned Detroit cop - with a Harvard law degree (!) - who finds himself up to his neck in explosions, mulleted assassins and gratuitous nudity when local auto empire boss Peter Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson) makes a bid for power. It's good fun, a must-see for any fan of 80s action, but held back by a plot that becomes unnecessarily drawn out after the fast-paced first act and a disappointing lack of action for the leading man (over 30 minutes go by before he even gets a fight scene!) The best thing about the film (apart from the taxi somersault of course) is the cast - perhaps the best collection of 80s action stalwarts outside of Tango & Cash: Bill Duke, Sharon Stone, Al Leong, Robert Davi, Ed O'Ross, James Lew and Charles Meshack to name but a few.
July 6, 2007
At least Carl Weathers had charisma. Whatever happened to him?