50% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Adam's Apples (Adams ębler) Reviews

Lewis C

December 29, 2010
"Let's stop with the accusations. It was an old cat. He just happened to fall down while we were shooting."

There are dark comedies. There are pitch black comedies. And then, there's Adam's Apples.

If you want to watch a movie that takes some of the most depressing, horrible things you can think of, and makes them absolutely hilarious, this is the movie for you.

I won't spoil much of the story, as watching what unexpectedly happens throughout is one of the pleasures of the movie. It begins with a priest named Ivan driving an unrepentant neo-Nazi named Adam from prison to the church where he will be performing his community service. Ivan gives Adam the choice of one goal to set for himself to complete, before he leaves. Ivan, completely uncaring, chooses to make an apple pie from the apple tree outside the church, once they are ripe.

From there, things quickly get out of hand. Let's just say that the sensitive need not apply.

I recommend Adam's Apples to people with a dark sense of humor, who are fine with laughing at incredibly inappropriate (yet incredibly amusing) things. This movie was made for people like you and me.

I'm not referring to low-brow humor. This is a different animal. An utterly unique (as far as my experience goes), intelligent comedy that ultimately brings sunshine forth from some of the darkest clouds you've ever seen (both figuratively and literally).
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 13, 2009
On the one hand we criticize films for conforming or being unimaginative, but when something totally original comes along we're not quite sure how to take it. Such is the case with Adam's Apples. I had to watch it twice. First to be repulsed by it's violence and cynicism, then once again to be open to it's dark humor and wonderful bizarreness. Freakishly delightful.
Jens S

October 7, 2007
The idea of sending a neo-Nazi into community service with a priest is pretty fantastic stuff for a mix of comedy and drama. And for the first half this Danish film makes good use of a handful of pretty funny situations, thanks to the colliding characters of the ex-con and the just as crazy priest and regular signs of a pretty sick sense of humor. Some parts around the middle maybe turned a bit too bizarre, dramatic and unbelievable, but the great actors make up for it and by the time of the solution the film is back on track. Worth seeing.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

April 7, 2009
[font=Century Gothic]In "Adam's Apples," Adam(Ulrich Thomsen), a neo-Nazi, has just been released from prison into the care of Ivan(Mads Mikkelsen), a reverend who runs a halfway house for released convicts. So good is he at his job that two of his former charges, Gunnar(Nicolas Bro) and Khalid(Ali Kazim), have stuck around long after their terms were over to help out around the church. As far as Adam goes, Ivan asks him what goal he would like to aim for. To which, he replies that he would like to be able to bake an apple pie in a few months. So Ivan puts him in charge of taking care of the apple trees on the property. The local crows of course have different ideas...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]The bad news about "Adam's Apples" is that five minutes in I knew exactly how the movie was going to end. The good news is that it is so delightfully warped that hardly any other part was predictable at all. In general, the movie fails to keep to any preconceived ideas as to who these characters might be, especially Ivan. In this fable about sanity and faith, what is important for Ivan is the final destination, not necessarily the route taken.[/font]
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

August 13, 2009
Unexpected, very dark , very funny and very Danish film from Anders Thomas Jensen about the battle between good and evil, starring a newly released neo-Nazi ex-con who's sent to live with a odd set of characters;, Ivan the delusional priest,Gunnar the overweight kleptomaniac drunk ex-tennis player, Khalid the terrorist and Sarah the ambivalent mother-to-be. Excellent film, full of surprises, I loved it.

From REBEL22's favourites list.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

April 22, 2009
This movie had so many deep meaning and points of interests, it is a simple tale of hope, meaning of life and personalities, I liked Mads Mikkelsen's acting, it blew me away, and the plot, if you aren't too sensitive to black humor, I recommend you to watch Adam's Apples. I'd like to say that I was not used to Danish humor, and sometimes I did not understood some scenes, and that made me feel bad. Concept of the movie revolves around themes like religion, mental dis-behavior and good vs. evil.
Summary, it was just perfect!
alienmindtrick
April 10, 2010
This movie is so fucking bizarre that I'm almost at a loss of words to describe it. It's half 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind', half 'The Shining', and half (?) Hanna-Barbera cartoon. But in reality, it's none of those things at all. It's D-A-N-I-S-H. (Did you see me nod and wink when I said that?) Yep, it's Danish. This movie was made by the same people who terrified England a thousand years ago, whose language morphed over time into what we now know as English, and who we named that silly pastry after. Say it with me "Day'-nish". Right. The story goes like this: A neo-Nazi skinhead gets out of prison and is put in the care of a man who MAY, or may NOT, be a priest, but who is certifiably nuts, and has a brain tumor the size of a volleyball. Said priest also tends to an Arab terrorist, a former tennis star, and his son, who's confined to a wheelchair and never once speaks or moves during the entire film. Then, much silliness happens followed by more, and so forth, until God gets angry, blows up the cooker (stove), causes lightning to strike the plot-device-apple-tree, forces the former tennis star to rape a drunk woman whose role in the film serves no purpose, and makes the skinhead's other skinhead buddies shoot the priest in the head (but who later wakes up and walks out of the hospital having only the aforementioned brain tumor shot out of his skull). AND, the only song other than a hymn in the ENTIRE film is....a BeeGees song. And THAT'S the weird part. Follow me? 'Cause if you did, you'll get this movie just fine. I liked it!
jpnittolo415
January 29, 2010
This film is also extremely funny but also dark its definetly got its serious sequences aswell which is why i love the director Anders just cause hes got so many genre elements that always work together. Smoke a blunt and get readyy to laugh
January 26, 2008
Darkly humorous story with a conclusion that is a bit more idealistic than realistic. Fun watch with good characters none the less.
August 8, 2014
No comedy is as black as the Danish kind. This film is a superb gem, Thomsen and Mikkelsen shine as always and you'll want to see more Danish comedies. Even if the noises coming out of their mouths make no sense whatsoever.
July 30, 2014
A quirky dark comedy that comes together in a quirky fashion. The synopsis itself is really bizarre, a neo-Nazi in community service with an extremely troubled priest and the strange fight between good and evil. Overall, I enjoyed the movie as a whole, everything came together and is quite original, in its own way. The odd bunch of characters fit together well somehow, making it just that much more enjoyable. I don't see it as a movie that most people would go out of their way to see, but I'm glad I did. Surprisingly.
June 20, 2014
Dark, crazy and twisted - great movie.
"Goddamnit, I wanna go someplace, where people die when they are sick, and don't sit in the yard eating cowboy toast when they have been shot through the head."
April 28, 2014
"Let's stop with the accusations. It was an old cat. He just happened to fall down while we were shooting. " possibly the best line in the movie! Black Comedy at its finest !
February 23, 2014
Wicked Danish Black Comedy featuring a Priest (Mads Mikkelsen) that lives in the state of perpetual denial and is in charge of the rehabilitation of 3 men! Adam the Neo Nazi, Gunner the Alcoholic, Rapist and Klepto, Khalid the Statoil terrorist!

I guarantee you have never seen a film quite like this sinfully delicious bizarre avant-garde film! A film where even the audience goes amuck, and actually finds themselves enjoying perhaps even cheering on the brutality inflicted by the Neo Nazi on the priest!
July 21, 2013
It was sooo fucking good. I love Mads and this movie is so funny. It reminds me of a movie George Clooney would play in if it was American. Just watch it...it's funny, sad, and weird all at the same time.
Madmartigan
July 19, 2013
Unique, props to Jensen. Pretty funny and interesting. Mads does a great job with his character. Good acting and timing overall.
June 15, 2013
Shocking, hilarious and touching. A great black comedy.
June 10, 2013
Utterly confusing at times, but don't stop watching if you have started it
May 19, 2013
Weird....but enjoyable!
ollie
August 27, 2009
Great movie ... absolutely hilarious. This is probably what is classified as a black comedy, so if you have easily offended moral sensibilities, you might wish to avoid it. But it has a great moral, or more than one. I, for one, loved it.