Adventures in Babysitting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adventures in Babysitting Reviews

½ May 20, 2016
Back after a brief reviewing hiatus.
Adventures in Babysitting, the directorial debut of Chris Columbus, is mediocre at best. It's not necessarily bad, but there's a lot of cringeworthy, eye roll worthy bits that make the film have a very corny, outdated, and overdone atmosphere. It's Baby's Day Out with the babysitter and an annoyingly blatant Anthony Michael Hall influenced character.
A teenager babysits three kids for a night but when going out to the big cities of Chicago to pick up her friend, she runs into all kinds of zany trouble, all the while running away from two carjacker empire lords.
The setup of Adventures in Babysitting may have one of the first to do it, but isn't the last to do it. Tons of films have done it better, take another Columbus movie Home Alone - the scenario of kids stumping criminals is a trope of the late 80s and early 90s and when you've seen it once, you've seen it a million times. I think a big issue with Adventures in Babysitting is how it's not funny in when it's supposed to be - these zany setups of when things get gradually worse for the bland, annoying characters lack humor entirely. It has a lot of potential for humor because some of these setups are original and admittedly entertainingly to see evolve - the carjackers, although repetitive for an experienced film watcher, are not so much bumbling than they are a threat to the characters - obviously the bumbling criminals idea is overused, but not at this point in film history. The characters are bland and annoying, especially the oddball best friend of the oldest kid, Darryl - he's a mix between Anthony Michael Hall and Ferguson from Clarissa Explains It All, as best as I can compare, and that should give a good explanation on what you're in for. There's some dumb bits here and there, but nothing too bad to ruin the film - in all fairness, there's some entertaining bits and some really bad ones - hits and misses all around. Adventures in Babysitting isn't meant to be taken so seriously, I guess, but isn't one of the finer family flicks of the 80s.
½ May 16, 2016
I was nervous revisiting this film that I absolutely adored growing up, because many of my childhood favorites don't age so well. But Adventures in Babysitting is so wonderful, and doesn't feel like it has aged at all. The story totally holds up, and I love pretty much every aspect of the film. Each little dangerous twist and turn that the plot takes adds to the fun, and the logic of why they end up in each place makes total sense. There are certainly some silly moments (like the scene in the blues club) but I just chalk that up as movie-logic utilized for a joke. This film was actually Chris Columbus' directorial debut, and he does a great job with it. One of the things that Columbus seems to be able to manage remarkably well are child actors. He almost always casts kids that are quality actors, and directs them so they will realize their full potential. Of course the cast entirely hinges on Elisabeth Shue, who is simply adorable in this movie. I had a pretty big crush on her back in the day, but seeing it as an adult I can still say her performance is superb. I particularly love the scenes where she starts to panic because of all the insanity going on around them, but simultaneously fights to maintain her role as babysitter watching over the kids. There's very little that I don't enjoy about Adventures in Babysitting, and as I said it holds up pretty well today, so I would highly recommend it.
April 27, 2016
An entertaining typical 80's movie. Has a bit of everything for a family movie night
March 19, 2016
I really liked this movie!!
½ February 23, 2016
And then he went on to make Home Alone and Harry Potter...
½ February 15, 2016
They really don't make them like they used to...
Classic 80's family film
½ May 2, 2009
1/31/2016: A fun 80's movie. It is entertaining and Shue was beautiful.
December 3, 2015
This movie has not aged very well, however, it still has several moments that still make me laugh. Decent enough 80's film, but not overly great.
October 22, 2015
While the events become increasingly unlikely the film never loses its momentum or its levity.
August 26, 2015
Classic! Can't believe my wife had not seen it till tonight!
August 9, 2015
very interesting comedy with some really great moments.
July 29, 2015
Hilarious - best of 80's charm on the screen.
½ July 26, 2015
Very funny! "You can't leave until you sing the blues..."
July 22, 2015
Slip me the cash, and I'll slip you the wiener!
I don't have any cash!
Then I don't have a wiener!
That is what makes the whole movie great!
½ May 13, 2015
81% on my Tomatometer.
½ August 16, 2013
classic 80s me movie
April 14, 2015
Back in the 80's I used to skip class and smoke pot and watch one of three movies that were always on HBO at the time. This was one of them.

Turns out, it's racist, sexist, and homophobic, but Shue is cute and it has Vincent D'Onofrio as Thor (what?).

Did I mention it was the 80's? And I was super high?
½ April 8, 2015
I am not the people this movie was shooting for but this movie bored me to tears.
April 6, 2015
Still holds up as good by today's standards. Funny characters and even funnier plot and dialog.
January 31, 2015
And you thought Full House was stale!