Adventures of a Teenage Dragonslayer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adventures of a Teenage Dragonslayer Reviews

BG Movie Reviews
August 12, 2011
Okay - there is one thing that should be a rule of films: if it appears on the front cover, it should resemble the film. This film breaks that rule abismally! The main character is not blonde, the dragon is a pathetic CGI image rather than something realistic, and the castle on the back of the DVD case does not feature ANYWHERE in the film! Another major flaw is that the main character is NOT A TEENAGER: he's 12! And to add to that he look so much younger.

The script was not special in any way, shape or form and showed exactly what can go wrong with indie film making. Unlike what some reviews say, the acting is not poor, it was mediocre - nothing amazing, but not really bad. What suprised me the most was that a scene very resemblent of the first Saw film featured, yet it remained a PG! There is a part where a blue troll cuts his own foot of with a saw, leaving blue blood everywhere. I just don't get why that was even necessary, it seemed an excuse for violence; and not a good one at that.

About the only decent thing in the film was the part where one of the children hotwires a van so they can escape and when ask where she learnt to do that she said "At scouts."

On whole, it is enough to entertain smaller children, but is not of great taste, nor of a position that allows it to be considered so bad it's funny. If you really want to entertain children, show them some Disney classics, not this indie failure.
DrLappos
½ August 19, 2010
This is so silly it was almost watchable...right up until the troll appeared and tried to be Schmeegle out of the Twin Towers...The kids loved it I suppose but adults should steer clear.
February 27, 2015
You know there are issues when the title says teenage, but the lead character is only 12. This is pretty sad fantasy fare. The effects are bad, the story is simple and silly and the acting is on the poorer side of fair. Not sure even most kids would find this entertaining.
½ August 23, 2012
I feel sorry for everyone that was cast or took part in the making of this horrible sham of a movie. I could only get about 10 whole minutes into it before I realized that I was not going to watch anymore of it. I can't classify this as a "B" movie...It kinda' falls into the "D" movie category.
January 9, 2012
Anybody remember those God-awful after school, "live action" shows for kids that used to air on FOX in the afternoon? Yeah. This is pretty much an extended episode of one of those shows, complete with terrible makeup and costumes, worse music, and even more horrendous acting. This is bloody awful.
November 23, 2011
I might have found it interesting if I was eight years old, but viewers any older than this will cringe at the low-budget special effects, awful cinematography, and utter lack of foreshadowing or character development. It tries to be an 80's movie in the vein of "Little Monsters" but fails pretty spectacularly.
August 18, 2011
So the Caroline in the City reuinion seems like it would be better than it was. It's UBER cheese-tastic! Even the kiddies will be making fun of how cheap they were on this. Seriously a comicon with hardy any weirdos dressed up...seriously?
½ May 7, 2011
I some hopes for this one. Sounded interesting. Not the best movie I have seen. I liked the characters and how the plot was in the movie; but they could have done so much more with this one. I think in a way it was cheaply made. More money and more time spent making this one it might have been a better movie. Kids might enjoy it but they might be scared as well I would say for audiences 10 years and up. I am glad I watched it but I don't think I would ever watch it again.
½ September 27, 2010
Absolutely atrocious in every way. Terrible opening sequence. Awful first five minutes. It never picks up from there. It deserves negative stars.
February 27, 2015
September 13, 2013
I like this movie. It's different, the style is great for kids and adults who want a more realistic approach to camerawork, so we can more believe it's real. The troll was funny and I like his voice, and the dragons -2 of them, were the best parts of the film. so much personality and nicely animated. Not the same old Hollywood perfect everything so its some other world. Good stars too.
½ October 8, 2012
If it wasn't for some shitty acting and crap effects, this coulda been dope!
½ August 29, 2012
Awful made for TV movie that offers nothing at all
½ August 23, 2012
½ April 18, 2012
Probably one of the worst things I have ever seen; though it was so corny I did laugh at times at it rather than with it. At one point I thought it had been hijacked by the smurfs.
March 9, 2012
Really cheap looking film due to terrible special effects; could've been better as the storyline has potential. Anyway would avoid.
½ January 13, 2012
not a bad kids movie. These kids have a good imagination.
January 9, 2012
November 23, 2011
October 9, 2011
I couldn't even make it through the whole movie. No.