Aeon Flux - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aeon Flux Reviews

February 21, 2011
Just feels so...meh.

Set in the year 2415, four hundred years after a virus wipes out all the humans on Earth except those in one city. That city was saved due to one inhabitant, Dr Goodchild, discovering an anti-virus. The city is now a (seemingly) benevolent dictatorship, run by the descendants of Dr Goodchild. However, strange things are afoot, thanks to the government. A rebel group does exist though and it counts among its members one Aeon FLux...

Though the broad plot didn't seem overly original there was some room for an interesting story. That potential is wasted through style-over-substance direction which disguises a fairly weak and silly plot. The director does her best to create an air of mystery and suspense but this involves meaningless scenes, just there to confuse the audience. Cue the inevitable action scenes and explosions...

Performances are pretty weak too. Charlize Theron seems listless as Aeon Flux. The character had the potential to be a great symbol for female empowerment through being a strong, invincible female action figure. Yet the writer and director hedge their bets and make her also a femme fatale and a sullen mysterious figure (to go with the superficial mystery of the movie). No wonder Theron seemed out of it - the character was so inconsistent!

The remainder of the cast seem to be phoning it in too.
June 15, 2007
i love this movie. even the differences between it and the original tv series didnt make it any less amazing
½ May 23, 2006
Why must Hollywood continue to remake (and therefore ruin) everything? Don't even acknowledge the presence of this; watch the anime instead.
June 21, 2015
The movie is visually interesting.
May 26, 2015
I am quite surprised, astounded even, that this movie has not received better ratings. It holds a meagre 5.5 at IMDb. Rotten Tomatoe's ratings are, as usual, pure nonsense with a 10% rating and a big rotten icon. Personally I think this is much undeserved. Yes the movie is a bit silly at times and yes it does not take a genius to figure out roughly what is about to happen nor what has happened in the "mysterious" past.

Still the movie is visually stunning. I would not say that this is a special effects movie in the traditional sense. There are no insane outbursts of explosions, no car chases, no space fights. However, the scenery is quite good and the martial arts stunts are really really good. Maybe I am biased by the fact that I am a male and the main character happens to be a woman in (very) tight suits but to me many scenes where simply visual poetry. There is an especially noteworthy scene where Aeon and a colleague (who have hands instead of feet by the way) are traversing a "garden of death" in order to get to their target. The whole setup is fairly ludicrous. I mean, in an advanced, highly technological, society who would resort to so bizarre means of protecting their main base of operations? Regardless of that, the sequence is just so cool and visually pleasing.

The first two thirds of the movie is probably the best. In the last third it goes a bit overboard with pretty ludicrous gun fights which pretty much defies any logic, science fiction or not. If you have seen old Western movies where the good guy just walks down the street against a hundred "baddies" who all constantly misses him as he, on the other hand, blasts them just by pointing his gun in the general direction...well then you get the picture.

Charlize Theron was doing a quite good job of portraying Aeon Flux but my favourite actor was really Marton Csokas as Trevor Goodchild. His mostly calm yet quite imposing appearance was very enjoyable to watch. I had more difficulties with Jonny Lee Miller in the bad guy role. I felt that he was a bit bland but then I am watching Elementary on Netflix right now and there he is a so much more dynamic and impressive character.

Anyway, if you are a science fiction fan, do watch this movie. It is much better than the ratings give it credit for as far as I am concerned.
½ May 22, 2015
An interesting trans-humanist look at a dystopian future.
May 21, 2015
Olvidadiza y soporífera cinta de acción.
Cuando se trata de una adaptacion de una obra maestra de la animacion general del mismo nombre (este caso siendo sangrienta, bizzarra y psicodelica la serie de 1991), en este caso fracasan miserablemente, y la personificacion de los entes es peor.
Lo salvable serían un par de escenas de acción vistosas y la localización.
Lo demás, desperdiciado a muerte.
Si buscas una cinta de acción independiente, ESTA NO ES TU PELÍCULA.
January 26, 2015
Aeon Flux has nice action sequels. and has beautiful scores throughout the entire film. It has surprises. It has good casts, and lead. But what it doesn't have is a story.
Scene after scene that lead to one big boring event. But doesn't spend enough time on exploring it.
What let down the most in the unnecessary twist that keeps pop up from the beginning to end.
Although Charlize Theron put emotion into Aeon Flux. she can't help the real disaster.
January 24, 2015
Todo un despropósito.
Esta pelicula desperdicia su concepto en otro filme de accion generica.
Es aburrida y carece del concepto desafiante de la caricatura en la que se inspira.
A Peter Chung le debe de haber dado un infarto al ver esta cosa.
½ January 21, 2015
I wonder, do they have a clue why their movie sucks so bad?
½ December 21, 2014
Aeon Flux is pure, violent fun. With a minimal emphasis on character development, the film is nonetheless entertaining. And despite its shortcomings, there are the threads of a rather interesting science fiction premise buried deep in all the leather and marital arts.
½ December 20, 2014
Interesting dystopian imagery and some contemporary themes, but dysjointed plotlines and a poor 'out of sync' script disappoints in what could have been the beginning of a hit female led action hero franchise.
½ May 24, 2009
Lame movie. Charlize Threon is cool but this movie sucked.
½ October 24, 2007
La adaptación fílmica del dibujo animado de Peter Chung, merecía una estructura narrativa fuera de lo común y unas secuencias de acción impresionantes. Esta versión en carne y hueso no tiene ni lo uno ni lo otro. El casting es pésimo (Charlize Theron no es para nada creíble como el estilizado personaje y Marton Csokas no es para nada el amanerado Trevor Goodchild). De todas maneras, "Aeon Flux" no es tan mala como otras películas sobre superheroínas como "Tank Girl", "Catwoman" o "Elektra". Pero es una buena premisa llevada al traste.
March 24, 2013
A worthy action/fantasy movie... Seeing Charlize in a sexy action suit will truly blow me away... and I like the character of Sophie as Sithandra, having an original hands for a feet... absolutely creepy yet bold and brave =)
June 30, 2007
LOVE Charlize Theron. This is the weirdest movie. I love the plot though, it's radical! Crazy fun to watch. For serious.
February 7, 2014
Flashy, over-stylized, and way too self-important. This is one of those films that would have been more entertaining had it been more campy or more of a train wreck.
½ January 9, 2014
Interesting story, let down only by some unbelievable action sequences.