Affinity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Affinity Reviews

June 19, 2013
What a lot of angst about lesbian relationships. Margret falls for Dawes (Selena), but it appears that Dawes is just using everyone to achieve her ends.
June 19, 2013
It looks very beautiful (the costumes are great), but the set designers seem to have ignored the point of the panopticon setting. Margaret is perhaps a bit too assertive, Selina perhaps not serene enough, and the subplot of Margaret's proposal offer lessens the pathos of her character from the book, but it is perhaps more problematic for such a prominent media to portray a lesbian as a plain spinster, as we are trying to do away with old assumptions in the new millennium.
However, the overall atmosphere of control and oppression is still put across well, and at least they didn't tamper with the ending too much.
June 19, 2013
Any movie based on a Sarah Waters novel is going to get good reviews from me... however, I didn't think this was as strong as, say Tipping the Velvet or Fingersmith. While the novel is my favorite of the three, the film is my least favorite. That being said, it would be really difficult to mess up such an intense story with such crazy plot twists. Definitely a must-see. On a relatively unrelated note, I went back to my copy of the novel and found a note I had written that said I imagined Selina Dawes' character played by Keira Knightley... I thought Zoe Tapper was about as close as we could have gotten to a Keira Knightley lookalike... interesting
½ June 19, 2013
Ahh! Sadly, I have to admit I am shallow..I was pissed that there weren't any sex scenes. Affinity began with an okay idea, but the plot did not develop well so the ending just seem disappointing although it wasn't what I have expected.
July 28, 2014
enthralled more than "tipping the velvet" did.
June 19, 2013
Being " Affinity " one of my favourite books, I wanted to see the movie adaptation. I must say I am very pleased with it. Haunting ending....
June 19, 2013
I didn't know what to expect from this film, the cover said it was a uncoventinal love story with a twist that's all I had to go on. I was really impressed with it, the acting was good and I found the story interesting. I think this film shows what great film makers the english and BBC truly are. It was set in the late 1800's to the early 1900's I think there really captured the period. The film is part love story part thriller and does both very well I might add.

Some of it had a Illusionist/Prestige feel to it that work very well. a simple story with a great twist. I enjoyed the fact that is was different to most things I've seen. Hollywood watch out english films and film makers are to stay.
June 19, 2013
Saw it and loved it. the twist at the end left me hanging! If you loved Tipping the Velvet, which i did, you will love this! It's not as long, but it is beautifully acted, shot and presented! highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good love story!
½ June 19, 2013
Sarah, you did it again! Although this was the least of my favorite adaptations, Sarah Waters' brilliant twists and revelations never cease to leave us in awe!
June 19, 2013
I love this film! It's so amazing!
½ June 19, 2013
i can't believe that margaret will fall for selena, the one who w/c is in the prison. a melo-dramatic movie. i felt sorry for margaret cause she was used by selena and her maid.
It was a heart-breaking movie...
June 19, 2013
Affinity toward same gender (lesbian).
June 19, 2013
bella solo la scena finale.
½ June 19, 2013
British filmakers are so special to show Victorian times. Delicacy, great dark colors, great! Love this movie.
½ June 19, 2013
Sarah Waters combines two of my favorite things -- lesbians and the Victorian period -- so I wanted to like this movie, but there were several problems with it. The story was interesting, but there were holes in the plot. It made the movie feel disjointed in a way that didn't seem intentional. That was my biggest complaint. Oh, and the sucky musical score.
½ June 19, 2013
Enjoyable but I was a little confused about the ending.
June 19, 2013
U never get the end before u finish watching it. Great movie
June 19, 2013
different kind of movie, has a paranormal / love storyline. It's ok.
June 19, 2013
This is a good adaptation. Having read the book, I was curious to see how "Affinity" would work on the small screen. Overall, not too bad. Anna Madeley was the perfect casting for Margaret Prior. This is a bit more fast paced than other Sarah Waters/Andrew Davis' adaptations. This fast paced style of adaptation suited the book well, don't think it would have worked well as a serial adaptation. Some changes were made for poetic license, but still a very good adaptation
½ June 19, 2013
Rather mediocre, slow and un-exciting movie adaptation of a great novel (1 of my favourites ever). Good acting by the 2 protagonists, not sure (yet) how I feel about the changed ending.