Five Favorite Films with M. Night Shyamalan

Summary

M. Night Shyamalan's latest film, After Earth, is a movie about finding the essence of your power in the face of great adversity. My feelings about my interview with the director seemed similar to those of Jaden Smith as he exited his grounded ship in the film, not knowing what lurked outside, but not having the luxury of letting it stop him, either. Would an interview with M. Night Shyamalan require a decoder ring? An encyclopedia? A tranquilizer dart? Back to Article

Comments

The Connoisseur

arnold kumar

Great list of films and we can really see where he draws inspiration. To bad that "After Earth" got horrible reviews, it isn't even that bad. It's an average flick.

Jun 3 - 12:58 PM

Bigbrother .

Please don't try to defend M. Night, he's more than earned the critical scorn heaped upon him. The Happening and Last Airbender along should make any director tickled they're even allowed to make films anymore.

Jun 4 - 09:22 PM

Alberto Balsalm

Alberto Balsalm

Only one Hitchcock film? Interesting. Still, nice to hear from Shyamalan. The poor bloke is plagued by a misconception that he is inept as a director.

Jun 3 - 02:13 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

Love these first two comments!

Jun 3 - 05:15 PM

Bigbrother .

Yep, because everything he's done since Signs has been a great advertisement for his skill and talent. I pray he's just inept, if not that would mean he subjected us to Lady in the Water and The Happening on purpose.

Jun 4 - 09:24 PM

Alberto Balsalm

Alberto Balsalm

Okay, perhaps I went a bit overboard in terms of defending my boy Shyamalan. What I mean is, you should only criticize a movie of his if you have seen it, rather than jumping to the conclusion that it is terrible. Saying that I wasn't too impressed by the After Earth trailer.

Jun 6 - 02:44 PM

Bigbrother .

I've seen enough, I wasted enough money waiting for Shaymalan to come around, now I'm more than content to ignore his movies until I hear rave reviews of one of his films which I don't expect anytime soon.

Jun 6 - 08:55 PM

Greg Miller

Greg Miller

"...plagued by a misconception that he is... a director." Couldn't agree with you more.

Jun 5 - 06:41 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

Love these first two comments!

Jun 3 - 05:15 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Generic list. I smell hoax.

Jun 3 - 05:55 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

I was expecting him to choose a really crappy movie for the last one, given his love of twist endings...

Jun 3 - 06:06 PM

Benjamin Yates

Benjamin Yates

I thought he'd pick one of his own

Jun 4 - 12:56 AM

Tom B.

Tom Beltran

Maybe the twist is he made those movies

Jun 3 - 08:52 PM

Saetre

Saetre Saetre

What a pleb

Jun 4 - 12:08 AM

Benjamin Yates

Benjamin Yates

I thought he'd pick one of his own

Jun 4 - 12:56 AM

bijio

biji badness

ok, let's be honest - i DEFINITELY wasn't the only one totally sure he'd put his own "lady of the water" in as number 5 or a bonus or something...right?? then he'd go "but nobody GOT it. nobody understood my unique ideas in that movie and my attempt to revitalize the idea of STORIES -- i mean, i even named one of the protagonists "story"! nobody gets my genius!" (i seriously think LiW is one of the biggest stinky piles of chee that hollywood's ever released.)

Jun 4 - 05:03 AM

John Dooms

It's amazing that you can read his mind like that BJ. Tell me, what am I thinking right now ace?

Jun 5 - 04:28 PM

Christopher B.

Christopher Browne

I personally think that Lady in Water was his biggest missfire. As for the other movies that people dont like. The Happening was ruined by Walberg's terrible acting, Last Airbender just wasnt Shyamalan's area of expertece, which is why it failed, and I havent seen After Earth yet, though I plan to.

Jun 16 - 07:32 AM

Dave J

It was Rod Serling that solidified M Night's name on the map, so it's ironic that he didn't at least mention anything from him or a mentioning of his name at least!

Jun 4 - 12:16 PM

John Tyler

John *

This list should prove that Shyamalan is FAR from an inept filmmaker.

Jun 4 - 12:54 PM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

Jun 4 - 01:21 PM

Eric Steffe

Eric Steffe

Haha his latest film had a career high 29% fresh...Just because you know something tastes good it doesn't automatically make you a good cook. However I believe M Night has become slightly underrated because most of his newer stuff is horrendous. He made 3 very good films in Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable....not a lot of people can say that. So while you can't forget about crap like After Earth, The Happening, Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender you also have to respect what he has done.

Jun 4 - 02:04 PM

John Dooms

Very good point. Look at the film makers he speaks of. Friedkin's made his share of trash and Coppola and Spielberg have been in Averageland many times. They can't all be classics.

Jun 5 - 04:30 PM

Hari Narayanan

Hari Narayanan

Are you really comparing M. Night Shyamalan (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs) to Uwe Boll (of B-Movie infamy)?

Jun 4 - 06:16 PM

Bigbrother .

I think he's comparing Shyamalan post Signs to Uwe Boll which isn't that much of a stretch. It's a close thing, but I'd actually say that pap with Jason Statham, dungeon seige or whatever is a little more watchable than The Happening. Can't believe there are still this many M Night apologists out there. No wonder he gets to keep torturing us with his dwindling talents.

Jun 4 - 09:28 PM

John Tyler

John *

At least The Happening had dialogue less unintentionally hilarious than in any of Uwe Boll's schlockfests.

Jun 5 - 04:05 AM

Bigbrother .

Yeah, the dialog between Wahlberg and the plant had to be intentionally hilarious or M Night just has that much talent as a natural comedien.

Jun 5 - 05:08 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"We have to get to where this isn't Happening!!!"

Ed Wood quality inanity.

Jun 5 - 07:45 AM

John Dooms

Tell us what you've ever done of value in your small, pathetic existence, Big Brother.

Jun 5 - 06:27 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Personally, I've never been so noble as to call out pathetic online comments with a pathetic online comment.

Jun 5 - 07:26 PM

Bigbrother .

Well, I've served in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan, and I got a degree in European history at Trinity College Cambridge, but I suppose that doesn't count in the greater scheme of things as much as subjecting people to my increasingly asinine movies like The Happening. Seriously, is that enough? I didn't realize we needed to be Martin Scorcese to call a crap movie a crap movie on the internet. I'll notify the RT staff to cut all of us except Marty off from the comments section.

Jun 5 - 08:00 PM

Dave J

Comparing M Night to Uwe Bowls is like comparing apples and oranges for they're two entirely different directors! While you're doing that compare Scorsese to Spielberg to Coppola to Kubrick to Roger Cormon while you're at it!

Jun 6 - 01:19 PM

Bigbrother .

If you can't compare Scorsese/Spielberg/Coppola and Kubrick you can't compare any directors and it's not exactly an in depth comparison to say both Boll and Shaymalan suck to great or lesser degrees.

Jun 6 - 08:54 PM

Dave J

No, I disagree, almost all of Scorsese movies are radically different than Spielberg's because Scorsese films are violent and are intended for the adult audience period, and Spielberg's consist of mostly family friendly films (with the exception of a few like Saving Private Ryan)!
Shaymalan directs big budget movies with big name actors, and Bowe is a low budget director with some offensive overtones- theirs simply no comparison to their styles except that their movies as of late are not very inspiring which can said about hundreds and thousands of films!

Jun 7 - 01:41 PM

Mitch Jones

Mitch Jones

How does his taste in movies prove he is a good director? Are you being sarcastic? I like the Godfather too but it doesn't mean I can direct. The guys Rotten Tomatoes page is like a race to the bottom. Each movie keeps getting worse.

Jun 4 - 05:18 PM

John Tyler

John *

I made that comment to mindfuck people.

Jun 5 - 04:06 AM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

Oh.

Well, I feel stupid now.

Jun 5 - 12:29 PM

John Dooms

Oh. That's why all my blood went to my head...

Jun 5 - 04:37 PM

Kirk Orebaugh

Kirk Orebaugh

How do you arrive at that John? I can make lists of my favorite ice cream flavors and I dont believe it makes me Ben or Jerry.MNS seems to bought into the hype after Sixth Sense that he was the next Spielberg. Thinks he had the midas touch and just had to show up and people would bow. But in retrospect he looks like a one trick pony, with diminishing returns since the much overated and unoriginal "Signs". IMO it looks more and more like JJ is the heir apparent to Mr. Spielberg. Just sayin!

Jun 6 - 11:46 AM

Jun 4 - 09:28 PM

John Tyler

John *

Jun 5 - 04:05 AM

Jun 5 - 05:08 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"We have to get to where this isn't Happening!!!"

Ed Wood quality inanity.

Jun 5 - 07:45 AM

Jun 5 - 06:27 PM

Jun 5 - 07:26 PM

Jun 5 - 08:00 PM

Jun 6 - 01:19 PM

Jun 6 - 08:54 PM

Jun 7 - 01:41 PM

Eric Steffe

Eric Steffe

Jun 4 - 02:04 PM

Jun 5 - 04:30 PM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

I thought there'd be a twist in that list somewhere.

Jun 4 - 03:44 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Where was this hiding? Stealthy Shyamster. These are great movies all right, although "Rebecca" is an unexpected Hitchcock choice, and he goes on about Hitch's hand on top and something about a super anal place. And he keeps talking about this "docu-style". It's called "realism" I believe.

Jun 4 - 05:04 PM

Mitch Jones

Mitch Jones

Jun 4 - 05:18 PM

John Tyler

John *

I made that comment to mindfuck people.

Jun 5 - 04:06 AM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

Oh.

Well, I feel stupid now.

Jun 5 - 12:29 PM

John Dooms

Oh. That's why all my blood went to my head...

Jun 5 - 04:37 PM

Hari Narayanan

Hari Narayanan

Jun 4 - 06:16 PM

Jun 4 - 09:28 PM

John Tyler

John *

Jun 5 - 04:05 AM

Jun 5 - 05:08 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"We have to get to where this isn't Happening!!!"

Ed Wood quality inanity.

Jun 5 - 07:45 AM

Jun 5 - 06:27 PM

Jun 5 - 07:26 PM

Jun 5 - 08:00 PM

Jun 6 - 01:19 PM

Jun 6 - 08:54 PM

Jun 7 - 01:41 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup