Afternoon Delight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Afternoon Delight Reviews

May 21, 2015
Wasn't as good as I hoped, but still not bad movie. I actually thought it would hit the fan way worse than it did!
Interesting idea for a movie dealing with a marriage gone stale and the fascination caused by a young striper met in a vain attempt to spice things up. Clearly moving her into the house was never going to end up well for anyone!
I did like how it blurs a little who is actually at fault.
Juno Temple is great, I am liking nearly everything I see her in. Maybe my expectations for this were a little higher based on that, but still worth a look.
MANUGINO
March 18, 2014
The cure for the common marriage.

Good Film! Afternoon Delight plays a bit like a Judd Apatow flick, from a female perspective. This is a perfect example of a movie that is not done justice by its trailer. If you watch it you will expect a raunchy sex comedy. What this is a very personal and sometimes depressing movie about how a women goes to drastic measures to change her life. This is a true dark dramedy about what a woman will do when she feels trapped. Overall, this is the definition of the saying "be careful what you wish for." A real surprise that I really liked and recommend.

Rachel is a quick-witted and lovable stay-at-home mom. Frustrated with the realities of preschool auctions, a lackluster sex life and career that's gone kaput, Rachel visits a strip club to spice up her marriage and meets McKenna, a stripper she adopts as her live-in nanny.
YodaMasterJedi
February 4, 2014
three stars...
SC007
September 21, 2014
Kathryn Hahn and June Temple's performances are the best reasons to watch this film. They shine here. They have a great on screen chemistry. It is great seeing Hahn play a leading role in a film. The film did surprise me. I thought it was well written and has some great dialog.

I thought there was some solid supporting work by Jane Lynch, Jessica St. Clair, and Michaela Watkins. The weak link in my opinion was Josh Radnor. I didn't think he had a good chemistry with Hahn. I think another actor in that role would have done a better job. I keep thinking someone like Jason Bateman or Zach Braff would have done better.

I still recommend this film, especially cause of June Temple and Kathryn Hahn's performances.
PantaOz
½ February 14, 2014
Refreshingly different comedy-drama written and directed by Jill Soloway for which she received the directing award at the last Sundance Festival! She's clearly got a taste for raw material, but maybe she should consider using top actors and just let the events flow without any pressure - but even like this it was wonderful.

Starring very bravely cast Kathryn Hahn as Rachel, Juno Temple as McKenna and Josh Radnor as Jeff, it is mostly enjoyable film about challenges in life and lacks of the appreciation of things we already have. It is told through the eyes of a woman who reaches sexual awakening in a sexless marriage. Contrived and raucous comedy which needs to be taken seriously most of the time, even if could be as serious as an adult girls'-night-out attraction.

Rachel (Hahn) is a quick-witted and lovable stay-at-home mom. Frustrated with the realities of preschool auctions, a lacklustre sex life and career that's gone kaput, Rachel visits a strip club to spice up her marriage and meets McKenna (Temple), a stripper she adopts as her live-in nanny.

Maybe I enjoyed Hahn's Rachel more than the others because I am not familiar with her sitcom characters and I took her for serious truly self-reflective soul. I found the ending a little bit forced and unrealistic, but everything else I enjoyed immensely.
½ March 11, 2014
Afternoon Delight is a 'day in the life' kind of story of a mother played by Kathryn Hahn. She's typically known for her comedy, but like most successful comedic actors, they have an ability to be serious while still flashing a tinge of hilarity into their work to keep you honest. We've seen movies like "This is Forty" or that movie Will Ferrell was in or Tom Hanks was in when it was all about the male midlife crisis, but on a different take, we get to see the woman's crisis.

I enjoyed Hahn's character breaking out of the rut of her lifeless marriage with stripper (sex worker) Juno Temple. She was pretty excellent and may even deliver the best performance of the film even though it's Hahn's show. Josh Radnor gives a performance as a cooler Ted from HIMYM, but I'm still not convinced he has any greater acting ability with any dimension.

The few holes I was left thinking about afterwards happened to be with the immediate relationship nix of Temple and Hahn's character near the end of the film. I thought it would get more attention considering the Hahn's character evolves purely through Temple's, but then the film redirects on goes back to the marriage. There's plenty of material to make you think the marriage is slowly wilting, but only on the outside. I wasn't as interested in that as I was in Temple and Hahn being on screen together and stealing the show.
½ August 30, 2013
Excuse the pun, but Juno Temple is a delight. Unafraid of her sexuality and always adding a deeper level to any of her characters, no matter how shallow, she is so enigmatic that even scenes where she's in the background, she can be caught stealing it. Innocent and down-to-earth, her characters take on a reality and authenticity that many young actresses fail to grab. In "Afternoon Delight", she plays a full service sex worker that the leading characters meet at a strip club and although she's a supporting character, she's the highlight of the film, which would be a completely different dynamic without her. Alongside her, Kathryn Hahn leads the film as Rachel, a stay-at-home mom who doesn't quite fit in with the prissy mom's at school and is feeling the effects of motherhood and the lull in her marriage, with Jeff, the always impressive Josh Radnor, who feels more at home in these independent films than anywhere else. When McKenna (Juno Temple) ends up on the street, Rachel takes her in, despite her husband, friends, and therapist's (Jane Lynch) vague warnings. The subject matter of the film is handled significantly and differently, offering subtle changes in the characters as these new living arrangements progress. The characters are open to experiences and never completely shut down anything, with "yes" being the most beneficial responses to any enthralling drama. McKenna has her effect on all the adults of the film, with Temple delivering one of the most well-rounded performances as a stripper I've ever experienced. Of course, the downside to living with a sex worker creeps its way into the film and Rachel discovers that some people just don't want to be saved, but as with most coming of age stories, she learns something about herself and is able to move forward (without giving anything away). The film's only downfall are several overly long, drawn out scenes including a strange discussion of abortions which carries on far too long (perhaps that's the point), allowing these scenes to become stale and repetitive, with no apparent point or significance to the rest of the plot. "Afternoon Delight" is an impressive dramedy, mixed with splendid performances all around and an original story lead by two very strong female leads in Hahn and Temple.
October 13, 2014
Funny and heartbreaking and emotionally compelling, Afternoon Delight is a film about the hopes and dreams of marriage, and how sometimes those dreams fall apart. With a great first attempt from writer/director Jill Soloway, the film explores the intricacies of marriage in a way that feels genuine, if not very profound. Kathryn Hahn delivers a performance that proves she's a powerful on-screen presence, and Juno Temple continues to impress with this film. I liked seeing Josh Radnor in a role where he wasn't necessarily the "good guy". The entire cast is great.
½ September 19, 2014
There was two reason why I wanted to see Afternoon Delight, the cast, and director Quentin Tarantino said that this is one of the best films of 2013. While I don't think it's one of the best, I can kind of see why he thinks that. Not only the cast is good, but the writing felt real, like that is really how people talk. I was interested in the film and some parts were actually unpredictable. The characters are complex but that's actually in a good way and they are interesting. The comedy is a little silly but couldn't help but smile at it. While not entirely original, it is something that people would actually do, and they did a good job on it.
August 9, 2014
Watched this for the lead, she's funny in several things. Movie overall just weak. The boyfriend and friends just difficult to like.
½ June 12, 2014
Utterly absorbing and wildly unpredictable, while almost never feeling contrived, the film's most impressive achievement may be making its Eat, Pray, Love-style protagonist infinitely more relatable & sympathetic. Although she may have little to complain about on the surface, most of what she has isn't just dysfunctional, but numbingly banal. She's also not at all the type to engage in Oprah-style navel-gazing that equates world travel & fine dining with "spiritual fulfillment". On the contrary, she's a woman with no easy answers who seems very much aware of how good (and bad) she's got it, which is why the abruptly easy resolution rings so hollow. Given that everything that preceded it is so bracingly honest about the quiet despair even the most privileged can feel, such an ending can't help but feel false.
½ May 31, 2014
I was most pleased when I came across this indie film because it stars an actress still unfortunately unknown (imo) to the vast majority of American audiences. Kathryn Hahn is generally a brave and ballsy -- yes, crass but fitting -- comedic actress who has frequently co-starred with and sometimes outshined Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd; but it was her superb dramatic turn as an idolizing neighbor of Kate and Leo's in Revolutionary Road that made me a fan of hers. I hoped that she would one day get a lead role that'd fully showcase her considerable talent and acting range. She gets that in Afternoon Delight but alas ... it is not a great movie. Hahn stars as Rachel, a married and affluent mother with a (mostly) content hipster/bohemian life. One night she happens upon a young stripper (Juno Temple - Killer Joe) whose life she believes she can "better" by welcoming her into her home as a live-in nanny to become a positive influence upon the misguided youth. Rachel's "good" intentions are mired by her own insecurities, curiosities, prejudices and uncertainties and she regrettably makes a mess of things as she goes along ... much like the film itself. Both Rachel and the movie have good intentions but the inexperienced direction of the first time, full-length filmmaker Jill Soloway keeps them from succeeding as the film frays. Hahn and Temple are both quite good here but the film itself isn't much of a delight as much of the serious/heavy drama is lessened by the ill-conceived attempts at laughs that do not work. I believe this would have been better as a simple drama.
December 6, 2013
A terrifically nuanced performance by Kathryn Hahn is just enough to hold together an interesting yet unfocused story.
April 19, 2014
I expected very little from this movie- I watched it mostly because there are several actors in it who intrigue me. I got much more than I bargained for. This is one of the most awkward, uncomfortable films I've ever seen, and not in a good way, but I couldn't tear myself away. The acting is phenomenal, and the story is heartbreaking. This is definitely not an easy watch, but if the mood is right, I recommend it. It's fascinating.
February 21, 2014
Jill Soloway, who has previously written for and served as a produced for shows that include Six Feet Under and How to Make It in America, pens and directs Afternoon Delight. The film stars Kathryn Hahn as Rachel, a mother of one that spends her days either at home, planning preschool activities, and with a therapist, Lenore (Jane Lynch) - talking about her sexless marriage.

Rachel is married to Jeff (Josh Radnor), and the couple's obvious comfort level has led to a stale marriage to the extent that neither of them appears to be overly happy. In order to spice things up, Rachel takes the advice of her close friend, Stephanie (Jessica St. Clair), to take her husband to a local strip club.

At the club, Jeff buys Rachel a lap dance from a stripper, named McKenna (Juno Temple). Rachel is quickly intrigued by McKenna's choice in lifestyle and repeatedly uses her love for coffee as an excuse to keep bumping into her on the street. As it just so happens, McKenna finds herself in a bind without a place to live. Naturally, Rachel thinks it's a good idea for McKenna to stay with her and Jeff - and also serve as their live-in "babysitter."

The more information Rachel learns about McKenna, the more she's intrigued by what she discovers about her. It turns out that not only does McKenna dance at the club, but she also serves as a "sex worker" - in other words, a call girl. Even though the news is shocking at first, it's still an element of excitement that Rachel decides to incorporate into her life. But, it turns out that McKenna's "free" lifestyle doesn't translate very well to the suburban household of a married couple with a child - or to the lives of their neighboring friends.

Kathryn Hahn, probably most recognizable from her roll in the former NBC TV series, Crossing Jordan, portrays a mediocre character. She's what you might call under whelming, not because Hahn does a poor job with the character, but because the character itself is written in such a shoulder-shrugging manner. From one scene to the next, she goes about her day - continuously making choices like a two-year-old child that's doesn't understand the consequences of her actions. In essence, it's only a matter of time before Rachel screws up her life.

Rachel, the obvious focal character of the film, is undoubtedly a boring character. However, it's hard to believe that an individual of her mental build would require therapy - but without the therapy, there'd be no reason to have Jane Lynch in the picture. It's funny how that works. Normally, Lynch brings a high does of creativity and excitement to her roles, but in this case, the therapist seems like an absolutely worthless character that does very little to move this film in either a positive or negative direction.

One of the other main characters of the film, Jeff - portrayed by Josh Radnor, who most will recognize as the central character in NBC's prime time comedy, How I Met Your Mother, is another bland individual that will garner viewer indifference. Jeff is a relatively emotionless personality that simply goes through the everyday motions of being a typical husband and father. He goes to work, comes home, goes to sleep - and occasionally hangs out with the guys. The substance of this character is virtually non-existent, and that noticeably translates to the lacking chemistry between Hahn and Radnor.

While both Hahn and Radnor basically chug along on cruise control, Juno Temple is able to be the shining star and set herself above the rest of the pack. What happens when you introduce a seemingly innocent young stripper in a boring world of predictability? Fireworks. Temple's character introduces the unknown (some might even call it chaos) into a sheltered, average neighborhood - thus creating the underlying theme and point of the story. Temple's portrayal is delightfully unhinged, though charming when she needs to be, and downright sleazy when she's out for revenge. Without a doubt, Juno Temple is the driving force that makes this film go.

Overall, Afternoon Delight is far from captivating, but still manages to present a relatively fresh story - even though it takes quite a while to really gain momentum. The characters are often drab, lack substantial depth, and simply don't create that much interest. Juno Temple is easily the bright spot of the film, serving no real purpose other than adding spice to a married couple's completely boring life. Still, this film is one of those stories with an array of hidden messages within it - like "you don't know what you have until you lose it" or discovering that not everyone is capable of being saved or reformed. Regardless, unless you're a diehard fan of any of the four semi-famous stars of this film, there's really not much to see to make it worth a view.

GRADE: C-
February 15, 2014
It absolutely chugs along up untillllllllllllll the wreck...
Which, for some, will only make this masterpiece better.
A brilliant work of art with a cast of fine actors.
½ February 14, 2014
An interesting tale of a thirtysomething mom who after encountering a young girl she recieved a lap dance from at a gentlemen's club decides to try and help her get her life back on track...and maybe her own in the process. The story is pretty good, although the script and characters waver somewhere between mediocre and so-so. If there actually IS a standout, it'd have to be Josh Radnor as Jeff, the put-upon husband of the aforementioned mother. Otherwise, it's a decent movie that is semi-enjoyable while you're watching it and almost entirely forgettable as soon as you're done.
July 1, 2013
Very good comedy-drama, and although it was more of a drama because it had some intense scenes, it had its natural funny moments. Kathryn Hahn was really a revelation. And eve though she's had a long career, this is really her break-out role. She delivered an excellent very insightful performance, some of the few and outstanding female characters of the past year, 2013. It surely was a great year for female characters and this had very pod performances. Also Juno Temple was great as always, and the whole supporting cast did a great job too. I liked the fact that it started with more comedy, but as soon as it got started with the whole story, it slowly became more dramatic and straight to what the real problem was. Overall, excellent "dramedy" with equally good performances by Hahn & Temple.
½ September 29, 2013
What's pleasing to me is: that it explores a completely different sort of female friendship. And I'm still thinking about the Vicks VapoRub foot massage McKenna gives to Rachel. I really want one, it would be so cool and warm and reach every chakra!
½ April 24, 2016
about as dull as it gets