• PG-13, 1 hr. 50 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

Against the Ropes Reviews

Sandman1968
August 29, 2014
Despite the fact that it's loosely based on a true story, there's not a lot of authenticity to "Against the Ropes," a watered-down boxing melodrama filled with sports movie cliches and boring, stock characters.

I get that spunky Meg Ryan being cast against type as real-life promoter Jackie Kallen is the big draw here, but the actress is terribly unconvincing in the role. Her persona doesn't have the weight to pull it off, but it's really the screenplay that lets everyone down here.None of these characters are written very well, and the relationship Ryan has with her boxer is especially weak. Omar Epps is just fine in the role, but not once do we believe the bond between him and his manager, and that's essential to the success of the picture.

The weakness is further strengthened by the fact that the Ryan character isn't very likable most of the time , especially when it becomes apparent she's only concerned about herself. The first-time direction by Charles S. Dutton is very stiff and mechanical, and it's even more distressing in the boxing scenes. They aren't very exciting, and they should have been the centerpiece of the film.

Instead, since the writing is so weak, we don't have much interest invested in these people or their story. Even the championship fight feels anticlimactic, but the whole things ends predictably enough. "Against the Ropes is as routine and by-the-numbers as movies get, a lazy and uninspired drama centered around a story that didn't need to be told.
December 31, 2013
Meg Ryan is trying herself at something new but she fails to truly convince as a boxing coach in this otherwise pretty entertaining film.
May 16, 2013
Ryan is better off playing the romantic interest.
January 28, 2013
Good! An average fighting scenes since I didn't expect that the last fight would end very soon as if there was no chronic bruise Omar Epps had received for the 1st 2 rounds., Although it would teach us a lesson that somewhere in the middle of our career, the track would change due to temptation presents to us by greediness., as we would realize afterwards that we didn't gain anything, rather, we lost everything that was important to us., that without them, we would not be complete., After thourough pondering what had happened, we would know that we have live the life we've been dreaming, only too dumbful to notice it.,
December 7, 2012
May watch...
September 11, 2012
Lots of cliches,some cute regular Ryan-looks and that's all. Boring.
Elinix
April 25, 2012
I barely remember it, but I know I lkied this Meg Ryan.
April 22, 2012
Doesn't look good... poor meg.
CryptKPR1
January 12, 2012
Awful chick flick. Corny as hell.
F. Garcia
October 31, 2011
cant relly review this one too much because i couldnt finish watching it.this movie would probably only appeal to mid 20's to middle age women who want some girl power.the only thing i could say i really liked was the DMX song they play in it.
January 7, 2011
Held my attention, but just okay - not great.
M. Bison
August 22, 2008
This was the worst boxing movie I ever saw. Against portrays the story of woman boxing manager and pioneer Jackie Kallen. What makes it so bad is this movie is fictionalized and steps into the usual Hollywood underdog-against-all-odds storyline when the truth about Kallen's life is far more interesting. It would have been great to see a story about her managing James "Lights Out" Toney and their eventual falling out and their often times tumultuous business relationship. Or what was she thinking constantly matching Bronco McKart up against Ronald "Winky" Wright? We will never know because this movie does not delve into that. It is the usual formula taken from Rocky Balboa. It would be nice to see a movie based on the true story of Jackie Kallen much like you would see with Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull but this isn't it.
carloslotr
September 3, 2010
Bad film... Meg Ryan is always beautiful but this film is horrible.
Zeppo1
July 30, 2010
** (out of four)

Meg Ryan tries to halt her career from being KO'd, but it doesn't work in this predicatble time waster.

Ryan plays legendary female boxing promoter Jackie Kallen. It follows her as she battles the man's world of boxing promoting as she pushes her own boxer to the top.
carloserm1000
February 5, 2010
Bad film... Meg Ryan is always beautiful but this film is horrible.
lilyjlh66

FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 24, 2008
quite a hated movie!
although it isnt original its not a terrible movie and is quite a good movie, it kept me entertained and interested in the movie and i thought it was pretty interesting.
I enjoyed the story and its based on real events as well and i enjoyed the acting and writting of the script i think the movie showed how men are predujice and sexist when a women does a supposed male job that no women should do, and i think it projected that across brilliantly i really enjoyed the movie.
Meg Ryan is brilliant and so is omar epps i love tony shalhoub in this hes brilliant as the horrible trainer businessman.
Meg Ryan pays a women whose bossed about and finally gets the chances to take on a fighter for boxing but she takes a risk with an unsuspeciting surprise that turns to be a huge bonus, but will the fame get to her and will she continue to have the fighters best interests at heart?
Funny in places and keeps you entertained and a real good emotional journey through the life of a women who gets everything good movie!
August 6, 2006
Fantastic story about one woman's rise to the top of what was once a male dominated industry!
Her story proves that women can be just as good as men... if not better!
She accomplished something that we should all strive for... excellence!