Agatha Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 31, 2013
Agatha is a powerful drama that is brilliantly acted and directed. This is an engaging film experience that boasts a wonderful cast with a great story. Dustin Hoffman and Vanessa Redgrave truly shine here, and it is a film that will certainly delight classic film fans. Michael Apted's direction is fluent, and near perfect, and he can clearly craft a movie that stands out in terms of rich storytelling. I really thought that Agatha was a wonderful film, which based on a real life ordeal of famed crime author, Dame Agatha Christie. Vanessa Redgrave is spectacular and perfect in the lead role, and the rest of the cast fit nicely along Redgrave. What we have here is an entertaining film that is engaging from start to finish. The plot is interesting and compelling. There are things that could have been improved upon, and the script could clearly have been polished up a bit, but for what it is, it's a worthwhile film that is very good and is a must for viewers that enjoy a good drama. Agatha does fall short in some areas, like I've stated before, but it is nonetheless a picture that is held together with strong performances, and in the end, that's all that matters because what we have here is a film that overcomes its shortcomings by its cast. Sometimes that's all you need. Maybe one day they'll be a fully fledged, well detailed biopic on the life of Agatha Christie, until then, a film detailing a mysterious period of her life will suffice. Consideri8ng that Agatha Christie is such an icon of 20th century literature, you'd expect a slightly better film. Well, this is a good film, but it is flawed, and it could have been much better than the final product.
May 15, 2014
well done to all concerned .
½ November 2, 2013
More drama than mystery, 1979's 'Agatha' is certainly a worthy addition to the long line of quality British period films. With a top cast, led by an impeccable Redgrave and Hoffman, and terrific cinematography by Storaro that gives a lot of colour and atmosphere to the historical setting, 'Agatha' makes for solid entertainment, though the fictionalization of history and it not being as layered as one of Christie's own tales will leave some empty.
February 8, 2011
Hoffman and Christie at their best....great cinematography as well
½ May 11, 2010
This is one of my all time favorite movies; I even bought it when I could no longer find it in the rental stores anymore becuase it was so old. The tension and intelligence in this movie make it completely worth seeing; the main characters solidly hold their own on screen - especially Dustin Hoffman. The time warp is also interesting in that it is set in 1926, with Vanessa Redgrave playing a very convincingly upset and frazzled Agatha Christie - but still stable enough to organize an amazing coup on her rival for her husband. Totally worth seeing; if you don't, you'll miss a great piece of history that may or may not have happened.
½ June 11, 2005
FASCINATING AND INTERESTING MYSTERY ABOUT THE REAL LIFE DISSAPPEARANCE OF WRITER AGATHA CHRISTIE. EXPERLY PERFORMED BY VANESSA REDGRAVE AND DUSTIN HOFFMAN.