Agneepath - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Agneepath Reviews

½ April 25, 2012
1990's blockbuster Agneepath (starring Amitabh Bachchan, Mithun, Danny, Neelam, etc.) is remade to pay a homage to it. Strike blockbuster. To the best of my knowledge, it was a mega flop. However, as Karan Johar claims, the movie did acquire a cult status, although the alleged audience seem to be more or less limited to the film industry. They're quite generous there. Likewise, our Vijay Dinanath Chauhan also happens to be a legend. Amitabh Bachchan played it loud, and here Sanjay Dutt gets to do the honors. Of playing loud, that is. His characterization of Kancha is pathetically loud. Thankfully, Hrithik is restrained as Vijay while Rishi Kapoor marvels in the role of a pimp/gangster Rauf Lala. Priyanka Chopra is okay. And so is the movie. While I can recall the box office flopping of the old film, I can't remember much about the movie itself. I saw it years ago and did catch it on TV a few months back, but didn't finish it. So I can't compare the two, and tell you which one sucks more. Go for the remake only if you have the guts to sit through nonsensical exaggerations.
April 28, 2012
The first half is brilliant. The second half is brilliantly stupid. Its a shame. Gritty characters, good actors and spectacular cinematography was wasted due to the lack of direction and commitment in the second half.
½ February 1, 2012
You know how some movies start with a prologue or, if it's a sequel, a recap and then segue into the story? You always know when the recap ends and the movie begins. The style is different. The music is different. In the prologue/recap here's no time wasted on detail; just hit the dramatic highlights, crescendo, and move on.

"Agneepath" is like a recap that never ends. The close shots and quick cuts. The dramatic music with its percussive drive, dramatic horns, and majestic strings. The apparent assumption of interest, since the characters are never really introduced, just presented. Occasionally the music would rise to a climax and the scene would cut to a quiet medium or long shot and it felt like now the movie was starting. But then we'd be right back in to the rapidly repeated crescendos again a few minutes later.

The movie did finally evolve a somewhat more narrative style the last quarter or so to finish up the story and became more engaging.

And it's a good looking movie. Colorful, well shot and well composed images, very good dance numbers, and pretty leads.
½ February 14, 2012
If Revenge were a dish best served cold, Mukul Anand made it icy. Rather, as Vijay Deenanath Chauhan rose through the echelons of the underworld in his white suit, eye liner and hoarse voice, Amitabh Bachchan sizzled with one of his most memorable performances. His, was a character powerful enough to speak through actions and as the movie centered around his vendetta, Mukul Anand extracted commendable performances through the supporting cast while engaging us in Vijay Chauhan's story. Now, Dharma Productions tries to recreate the magic with debutant director Karan Malhotra, whose violently intense but hollow remake is everything short of the legend. 'Agneepath' shouldn't have been re-made in the first place. Not with Hrithik Roshan.

The story's premise remains the same with Mandwa's school teacher Deenanath Chauhan being betrayed by the villagers in a malicious scheme devised by Kancha (Sanjay Dutt), that has him lynched from the village tree. As his son (Hrithik Roshan) vows to avenge his death and his family's humiliation, he uses Raut Lala's (Rishi Kapoor) influence to rise in the underworld. After an elimination round, Vijay Chauhan proposes a deal with Kancha directly to obtain control over Mandwa in exchange for Bombay, which was in his shoes at that point. Kancha is a mean, monstrous, evil Raavan of his Lanka and obviously that offer doesn't go down well with him. However, Vijay's entire life has been full of sacrifices only to regain his village and family's honor. He must succeed in ousting Kancha's evil reign over Mandwa.

Normally, Vijay Chauhan could've pulled this off easily. Not because he's sarva shaktimaan but because he had to be powerful enough to overcome any obstacle and defy death itself against such nemesis. Karan Malhotra instead, chose to make Vijay Chauhan more subtle, calm and ordinary. Hrithik Roshan's performance is devoid of any glamour, memorable dialogue, authority or even anger. His remorseful, guilt-ridden, secondary existence hardly match up against the challenges in store for him. 'Agneepath''s remake will be remembered if at all, for all factors other than Hrithik Roshan. Those factors include Kancha and Raut Lala. Rishi Kapoor portrays the inhuman, manipulative and authoritative Raut Lala convincingly. Never before have we seen him pull off such a negative character and his incredible acting sheds the charming image and creates a magnetic aura of evil. Apart from being a necessary character in Vijay Chauhan's rise to power, Raut Lala is also the film's big surprise with Rishi Kapoor's brilliant portrayal.
As Kancha walks into Mandwa upon his father's calling, with The Geeta in his hand, wearing a long dark kurta over a monstrous body and an evil smile upon his daunting face, we realize how weak Vijay Chauhan will be and how impervious his revenge will be. Kancha gets all the good stuff including the eerie looking lair in Mandwa, mythological quotes, canny humour, action and a chance to beat up Hrithik Roshan. Sanjay Dutt plays the part with ease and gets to exploit his versatility in his most evil role.
The writers laid more emphasis on the villains with situations, dialogues, style and degrees of evil. Thus, it shouldn't be a surprise that Hrithik Roshan gets shrouded by two terrific actors who exploit favorable conditions to deliver monumental performances. With less confidence, a couple of white shirts, glycerined eyes, lack of development and subdued characterization, Hrithik Roshan's Vijay Chauhan fades in the shadow of Amitabh Bachchan's. Barring the excessive violence, the villains will leave an impression in a movie that was supposed to be about the hero's vengeance.
To top it all, we have Priyanka Chopra's irritating character that is overly peppy, hyperactive and na├┬»ve. She does the same thing in every big movie as though the director leaves her on her own and she goes on to ruin 'Krrish', 'Dostana', 'Don 2' and now this.

Another disappointment is the film's music. The much hyped Chikni Chameli is perhaps the worst item song ever, completely disposable from the movie and inappropriate for Katrina Kaif's standards. Deva Shree Ganesha is a good theme but tends to overwhelm the situation at hand. Shah ka Rutba is perhaps the film's only relevant and memorable song.

Ravi Chandran's cinematography captures the mood and the larger than life characters brilliantly. The colors and saturations make every scene look remarkable while set designs, costumes and make-up artists create the rest of the magic for Raut Lala and Kancha.

Karan Malhotra's ambitious attempt to recreate Vijay Deenanath Chauhan's incredible story has more evil engrained within. To the extent that it lost the importance of Vijay's suffering, sacrifice, ambition and greed for power. He lacks all the shades that make a hero and the script fails to support the cause as well. If Bombay was truly in his shoes, why doesn't he have the authority to go with it? Is he ruling it with a bunch of eunuchs from the chawl along with two henchmen? It's one thing to portray him living a simple life but austerity is quite the extreme, literally. Was he even recognized in town? He was supposed to have a huge following that would lead to an uprising in Mandwa. Here, he is begging for attention for acts that do not warrant it. These and many other aspects have been ignored for Vijay's character and therefore, the story has little impact upon the viewer. All they will remember is how powerful the villains were in comparison and how unconvincingly, Vijay Chauhan defeated them.
This was not what Mukul Anand created. A remake should atleast align itself with the original's vision if not other aspects. Raut Lala was a great creation but elsewhere, the innovation seemed to lack in a fatal manner.
As Vijay Chauhan struggles to breathe after severe beating by Kancha, in the background of a gloomy Mandwa and blaring background music, he narrates the Agneepath poem aloud and hangs Kancha up the same village tree that saw his father's lynching. It should've been an epic ending to all the violence and evil and a celebratory victory for the hero but Hrithik Roshan seems to be trying too hard to convince the villagers and the audience that he has done it! That he has achieved what Amitabh Bachchan had two decades ago. Karan Malhotra, had other plans.

6.33 on a scale of 1-10.
½ January 29, 2012
Agneepath celebrates the revenge dramas of Bachchan Era. A bit unapologetically ..........and totally Bollywood way.

Despite being a remake it has a feel of its own. The best aspect about the movie is that it never compels you to compare with the original.

The film has got rid off many scenes and characters from the original but The Iconic dialogue, Vijay Dinanath Chauhan...Poora Naam, stays. It is well delivered in an original style. And It works.

It has all the cliches of revenge dramas of 80s & 90s. An Anti Hero, An Ideal Mother, An Exploited Sister, A Psychic Over the top Villain, An Item Number in Villain's Den. Lots of Gore and Violence. The kind of Cinema we have grown up with.

As a Kid we used to love these stories.

Hrithik does a good job with his intense act. But at some point you miss the elegance of Mr Bachchan in his white suits. As promos showed, Sanjay Dutt is menacing, even with an over the top performance. He will be among all the awards next year. Its a refreshing experience to see him doing SOMETHING rather than being wasted in the recent senseless comedies. But the surprise package of the film is Bollywood's ever Romantic Rishi Kapoor with Mean act of Rauf Lala. He has been showing some class act recently with Do Doni Char, Chintuji, etc.

The film is bit long with some yawn moments here and there but it is a good watch if you loved the revenge dramas we grew up on. A good attempt from a debut director who never competes with Original Cult Movie.
January 28, 2012
God Bless Mr Mukul Anand, for he is in a restful place...cos if he was alive today he would have kiled himself...this movie just doesn't move...I am just amazed by the talent of a director to totally screw up fabulous talent and already proven story line. I face a new found respect for Mr. Amitabh Bachan, for giving us the original...cos this movie just ruins everything Agneepath was to us....
Painful and Seriously disconnected....
January 27, 2012
remakes are supposed to be dull and boring.....but this one is a completely different movie with lots of action and enertainment. Hrithik Roshan and Sanjay Dutt were terrific!!!
August 21, 2013
Certainly not a popcorn movie,it saw Hrithik reprise a legendary role in his own way to success. Rishi Kapoor's performance is one of his best ever.
July 14, 2014
Almost perfect but not exactly. I needed more insight into the protagonist's mind to see more clearly.
½ April 15, 2012
hindi hindi but very good acting by roshan
½ February 17, 2014
Monday, February 17, 2014

(2012) Agneepath
(In East Indian with English subtitles)
HISTORICAL FICTION ACTION DRAMA

I've always liked Bollywood movies, but they're mostly the ones with a lot of action in it. This one happened to be on TV, and I decided to record this one on VHS so that I can fast forward all the commercials. Anyways, this is another one of those movies which the protagonist does absolutely nothing until the main bad guy kills much of the good guys family and friends, and that is when the protagonist finally does something. It's similar to any Chinese chop-sockey movie except that they're no martial arts involved, nor was the action scenes any good, since much of Bollywood action movies with plenty of fighting usually have the actors just swinging their punches through the air while the other people who're getting hit would pretend to get hit. Now, I watched only a small fraction of this movie, while I used my fast forward button while playing the rest just because it's so predictably standard.

Bomb
December 5, 2013
While I always enjoy Hindu themed and colorful productions, this was not my cup of tea. I appreciate the visual richness, as always, but too bad it is showered by cheap drama and cliched Bollywood traits such as a male dominated story, glorifying a gang member in the name of family honor, and the violence surrounding the movie is just disgusting. As disgusting was the special appearance of Katrina Kaif, of my gosh, watch that song without the music, and read the subtitles, it is awful! I sure would not want any little girl watching that and thinking it is cool to move your butt surrounded by hundreds of males doing the same and watching you move like that... plus the typical female roles of mothers, sisters, wives and prostitutes whose lives go around the male protagonist, while this has an artificial muscular torso which he just loves to show off... the music is not bad, it is the lyrics that were too corny or too dramatic. Overall, I which Nandita Das would have this kind of money to produce epic and colorful films...
September 14, 2013
Nice movie but violent
½ September 2, 2013
Great acting by Hrithik Roshan, overall a great film with alot of action
½ January 6, 2013
Very disappointing for me. The story was predictable and nothing much new, and no, I haven't even seen the original
December 7, 2012
A Remake which is a must watch and its completely new.
½ November 26, 2012
Vijay Dinanath Chuhan VS ( Rauff Lala+Kancha Chenaa) in Mandva..
toatally revenge movie...on the path of Agneeepth
October 24, 2012
Really well remake of the cult action movie. Although Hrithik can't match the performance of living Legend Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay excels as his role of Kancha, he looks menacing and evil. The vetirian Rishi Kapoor is also great in his role.
October 19, 2012
Agneepath directed by Karan Malhotra is an hard-hitting and gripping movie.Hrithik Roshan is marvelous.Sanjay Dutt as Kancha Cheena steals the show.Rishi Kapoor as Rauf Lala is terrific.Priyanka Chopra has little to do.The music is good.The action sequences are brilliant.
½ August 13, 2012

As a Kid we used to love these stories.