91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

A.I. Artificial Intelligence Reviews

Phil H

April 15, 2013
Damn it Spielberg you did it again! I thought you wouldn't get me but once again you made me cry whilst watching one of your films, sheesh!. Right...'A.I.', batten down the hatches mateys, this could be a big one.

From the collective minds of Kubrick and Spielberg comes this lavish epic about a little robot boy who is brought into a young couples life. Based on a short story by a writer I admit I've never heard of, yet the idea could easily be mistaken for work from the brains of Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov or Philip K. Dick.

Lets begin, this film gave me a headache, not a bad headache, more of a problematic headache. I was stuck and didn't know what to think. The film is a massive story betwixt two ideas or genres almost, on one hand you have the first half of a film that centres around the human angst and emotion of trying to adapt to adopting a robot child. The pain of a mother who's child is at deaths door from disease, and the decision by her husband to offer her a brand new state of the art robot child that for the first time can learn and express love for its owner.

The second half of the film then changes completely, gone is the sentiment and powerful family bound plot as we enter into a more seedy grim world. One could almost say the film adopts many visual concepts from other sci-fi films/genres, which do work on their own, but maybe not together with this story.

The story is enthralling and draws you in...but oh so many questions arise Mr Spielberg, where to begin!. Once we leave the comfort of the family orientated first part of the film we pretty much straight away hit the Flesh Fair. Now this really did seem too harsh for me, a completely disjoined idea that harks back to a 'Mad Max' type world. Why would people of the future act like this towards simple machines? the whole sequence looked like some freaky red neck carnival. It also seemed like a huge setup for not very much, just a few minutes of carnage, was all that fan fair really required?.

This lead me to the question of why do this to old, lost, outdated Mecha's? (the term for robots in this film which sounds a bit Japanese to me). Now surely these robots cost a lot to make, much time, effort, design etc...went into creating them, so surely destroying them is a complete waste. Wouldn't fixing them up for simple labour tasks like cleaning or whatever, be more useful? maybe selling them on? and even if you did have to shut them down, just do it more humanly, why the need for all the violence?. The whole sequence just didn't seem sensible really, and it was thought up by Spielberg!.

Eventually we get to Rouge City, where is this suppose to be? why not use a real city?. Again the whole concept seemed out of place, the city seemed much more futuristic than everything else we have seen, plus the architecture was truly odd. The huge tunnel bridges with a woman's gaping open mouth as the opening? it seemed very 'Giger-esq' to me, quite sexual too, kids film anyone?. Then you had buildings shaped like women's boobs and legs etc...geez!. Its here we meet 'Gigolo Joe' who is superbly played by Jude Law I can't deny, but really at the end of the day, was he needed at all?. He is a nice character, very likeable but virtually bordering on a cartoon character, and why the need for the tap dancing?.

The makeup was very good for the Mecha characters, simple yet effective for both Law and Osment. Kudos to Osment of course for his portrayal of the robot 'David', I honestly can say its probably the best performance for a robot I've ever seen. Brilliant casting too I might add, Osment can act but his looks are half the battle won right there, he has this almost perfect plastic looking young face, its all in the eyes I think.

Speaking of characters how can I not mention the star of the film, 'Teddy'. Now this little guy was adorable, I still find myself wanting my own Teddy *whimpers*. Every scene this little fellow was in I loved, I loved to see him waddle around and assist David in his simple electronic voice. I found myself caring for all the characters in this film but especially Teddy, he was just awesome. Sure he seemed to have some kind of infinite power source but that made him even cooler damn it!. What really broke my heart was we don't know what happens to lill Teddy, we see him at the end but what becomes of him?? what Steven WHAT??!!. I loved that lill guy *sniff*.

As you near the end of the film and its multiple ongoing finales you literately get submerged in questions. 2000 years pass from the time David is trapped under the sea and his rescue (the ferris wheel didn't crush the helicopter/sub thingy??), in that time the planet has gone from global warming jungles to a MASSIVE ice age? I mean a REALLY HEAVY ice age. Now I'm no scientist but that doesn't seem right. I might quickly add, in the future why are all the skyscrapers in New York in tatters? as if they've been burnt out?. Sure the bottom of them has been flooded but they look like skeletons! as if a nuke hit them, eh?.

The we get to the evolved Mecha's (or 'Close Encounter' aliens). How would these robots evolve into these angelic liquid-like creatures?? I don't get it, if the human race became extinct tomorrow would computers evolve into alien-like creatures?. Sure these robots can fix themselves and update themselves but that far? really?. Then you gotta ask yourself why would they be digging up old human remains? they know humans created them, OK they might not understand why but does that matter?. They clearly have highly advanced technology so why don't they travel space and look for new similar intelligent life?. Why bother with the human race, of which many despised them anyway, treated them like crap.

This then leads onto the resurrection part of the story. I still can't quite work out why David's mother would only live for one day when brought back. There is an explanation from the advanced Mecha's but I couldn't follow it. Again we then have all manner of plot issues...why his mother doesn't recall her husband or son when she wakes, she doesn't question why David is there, she's disorientated but doesn't question anything. She doesn't seem to remember anything like the fact she was probably an old lady when she was last awake, and she doesn't ask to go outside! they stay inside the whole time. You could say the advanced Mecha fixed it so she wouldn't recall anything so not to jeopardize the situation, but when she wakes she acts as if nothing happened and its just a new day.

Where the plot really gets silly is the fact this is all possible simply because Teddy kept some strands of cut hair from David's mother about 2000 years prior. Where on earth did he keep these hairs? its not like he has pockets, and what's more...why did he keep the strands of hair??!!. On top of that, and again I'm no scientist, but surely you'd need the roots of human hair for the DNA, not just cut strands, no?.

Now there are a lot of whines in there but unfortunately there are a lot of plot issues in the film. I won't and can't say its a bad film, its a truly fantastic bit of sci-fi with some lovely design work and visuals, but there are problems along the way. First half is a decent sci-fi story similar to 'Bicentennial Man', second half is really a rehashed rip off of the classic 'Pinocchio' tale set in the future.

The film garnered a lot of interest due to the involvement of Kubrick and Spielberg admittedly but its still a wonderful bit of work. Part sci-fi but all fairytale in the end, the film slowly becomes more of a children's tale the deeper you go, the narration nails that home if you think about it. The very end is kinda tacked on and doesn't feel correct, true, you can see they had trouble ending the film and a weepy ending was required so they made one. But god damn it works *sniff*.

The final sequence of David lying besides his motionless mother still brings a lump to my throat as I type this now. We then see Teddy join them on the bed and just sit down to watch over them both, like a guardian. Does David actually die here? does he voluntarily switch himself off somehow? again...what happens to Teddy? I'm not sure. But as the score swells and the lights dim, you can't help but wipe away a tear.
Cody Fairless-Lee
April 22, 2014
The legendary Steven Spielberg and the late Stanley Kubrick has made something very rare in film: a sci-fi tearjerker! The futuristic and visually-stunning take on the story of Pinocchio is breathtaking and powerful that it's hard to keep your eyes dry when you first see the whole movie and it's ending! This is a summer blockbuster that has mostly been ignored, but it's still one hell of a story!!!!
April 20, 2014
I know a lot of people give this movie crap, but I love it to death. The ambition of Spielberg to try to pull off Kubrick's vision is pretty amazing. I love the acting, the "Pinocchio" like story, the design, the effects, and the ending (ok, maybe the ending somewhat ruins it). But still, this is one of my favorite movies because of the heart that is put into such a dark story.
December 20, 2009
A collaboration between two of the biggest filmmakers of the past half century, Steven Spielberg and Stanley Kubrick, "AI: Artificial Intelligence" sounded like a good idea but the end result is a disaster. Kubrick had discussed the project with Spielberg over the years even showing him storyboards. After Kubrick's death, Spielberg wrote a script for "AI" based on their collaborative efforts while inputting his own take on the material. In the simplest terms, this is a retelling of "Pinocchio" set in a dystopian future where a boy robot (Haley Joel Osment) wants to be real to earn the love of his adoptive human mother. Despite similar gifts for visual imagery, Spielberg and Kubrick seemingly have diametrically opposed sensibilities and so the movie is divided in spirit. "AI" has passages that are as dark as anything Spielberg has ever done but it contains the worst elements of both filmmakers - the misanthropy of Kubrick and sentimentality of Spielberg. The movie has an earlier resolution that works but Spielberg tacks on a twenty minute coda set 2000 years later that is clearly meant to be an homage to "2001". The sequence is so unbearably cloying that it throws the audience out of the picture. It causes us to feel hostile towards the movie so that everything else that came before feels irrelevant. Jude Law as a robot gigolo, William Hurt, and Frances O'Connor also star. Impressive cinematography by Janusz Kaminski and score by John Williams. Voice cameos by Robin Williams, Meryl Streep, Chris Rock.
April 13, 2014
Deeply philosophical and engaging. This film forces us to question our sense of self, reality, and the value of faith. Jude Law and Haley Joel Osment each deliver nuanced and powerful performances. This film is, in my opinion, definitive of great science fiction.
Cle S.
April 9, 2014
That's another example for a movie that could have been much better. The first half is really great and sometimes terrifying but to the end the film begins to lack substance. The ending itself is simply annoying. Though I love Spielberg movies I think Kubrick would have solved it way better. Finally it's a good but definitely not great piece of science fiction.
April 7, 2014
i really liked this when I first saw it, but it doesn't hold up to repeat viewings, and the coda ending makes the whole story sappy.
October 29, 2007
Kubrick's brashness and Spielberg's warmheartedness are often great on their own, but they work against each other creating a very inconsistent feeling movie.
March 13, 2014
A.I. is on a grand scale of movie making. One of Steven Spielberg's most underrated movies and yet one of his best movies at the same time.
February 22, 2014
A great movie with a suberb cast & a heartbreaking ending.A must see.
July 28, 2013
Pese a llegar a ser, por momentos, estupida, ilogica y un poco cursi... Funciona. Tiene propuestas bastantes interesantes y llamativas... Eso sí, el final es una vil bazofia. . . . . . . .
Así que esta cinta es una idea de Kubrick aparentando ser Spielberg para que este la dirigiera, quien pensó que lo mejor sería que la dirigiera Kubrick, quien murió dejandole su trabajo a Spilberg, quien intentó hacerla aparentando ser Kubrick (quien anteriormente pretendía, con esta cinta, hacer algo al estilo Spielberg) (?)
September 13, 2007
So many places that this film could have gone. I didn't know it was a Spielberg film while watching it though I had a feeling. Really though, Spielberg could have done so many more interesting things with this premise.

We could have had the Mecha's learn to rise against the humans. We could have had more Jude Law and less... everyone else. By the way Sam Robard (especially) and Frances O'Connor can't act. This is a pretty good problem seeing as they have a ton of scenes in the film.

Unique idea, not executed well. Beautiful scenes. Horrible acting from about half the cast. Slow and dragging pace. Not good.
April 2, 2012
Mr. Spielberg has made his most haunting, profound, and thought-provoking story yet, and it is a superior experience - not always consistent but ever mesmerizing.
February 7, 2014
This is one of the most underrated and shamelessly forgotten films. Its story is heavily reminiscent of Pinocchio, but Spielberg and Kubrick manage to make that story worth seeing again by adding it a couple of excellent twists and changes. With strong acting, fantastic visuals and emotional, fascinating ending, A.I. is a stupendous and hugely underrated film which is, after Minority Report, the best to come from the director.
Lee P.
February 2, 2014
just weird, stupid, and creepy
January 26, 2014
Beautiful effects and interesting look at technology but somewhat jumbled and drawn-out.
March 30, 2012
I love the way the kid acts! really effective.
January 22, 2014
An in depth perspective of the thought of a machine being able to feel the emotions of a human being. Very complex and neither a perfect or imperfect film. It leaves you thinking very deeply about a lot of things. Personally, I think the film is intelligent, especially in thought. I cannot think of a machine as a human or something alive, but after this film, I feel I would at least not treat them as inanimate objects, especially if one begs for mercy and fears ceasing to exist.
January 20, 2014
I like "Pinocchio" better. The first half (which I have been told is Kubrick's half) is a lot better than the second.