—— The Identical Sep 05

Airport '77 Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 28, 2012
Third film in the series departs from the first two films and offers something new. The plot works well enough to keep you interested from start to finish, and though it's nothing special, it's actually an improvement over the previous films. However like the first two in the series, this entry still has its limitations. Despite its good plot, and its effort to try something different, the film's script suffers from underdeveloped writing. However the cast here are good and it is one of the best casts in any Airport films. I really enjoyed the film, and this is the perfect little thriller to watch if you're looking for mindless entertainment. But like every other film in the series, don't expect a superb film, and you're sure to enjoy it. I thought this was an underrated entry in the series and because it departs from the first two films, it does something new and exciting. As a disaster flick, this third film works well, and along with the first film in the franchise, I'd have to say this is the best one. However, all of the entries have their strengths and weaknesses. As a third film usually is one of the worst films in the series, this is not the case with Airport '77 is a good film filled with suspense, thrills and has you hooked from start to finish. Disaster films of the 70's were meant as pure popcorn flicks, silly, yet very enjoyable. If you enjoyed the first two films, check this one out. Despite its flaws, this one is good due to good performances from the cast that are good in their roles, and make the film what it is.
Dean !

June 22, 2011
Another airport disaster film, if I remember right this was interesting as it dealt with a plane that had crashed and was deep underwater in the ocean. Quite an intriguing film as they try to problem solve how to save the passengers.
AJ V

March 9, 2011
This movie follows the same formula as the other airport movies, but I think it has the most stars yet of the series. It's rather slow going, but the ending is pretty cool (until they remind you that it's not a real story, which was stupid). Overall, it's just okay.
jjnxn
jjnxn

August 23, 2007
great cast ,ridiculous premise but fun if you like the genre.
alanjayh
alanjayh

October 9, 2009
Not up to par with the original Airport or even Airport 1975. The storyline weakens (guess airport security was pretty lax in those days). How a 747 can crash land in the water and stay in one piece and THEN only sinks 100 feet or so in the bermuda triangle off the Atlantic Ocean is unplausible, but one has to suspend belief I guess! Jack Lemon is no Dean Martin (or Charlton Heston for that matter). A weaker "all-star" cast than the original, this story does have some suspense to it if you can simply disregard the obvious holes in this catostraphic scenario. An ok watch only...
phaup55
December 21, 2011
Really the only ties this film has to the previous two is George Kennedy, who only appears in it for a short time. Bringing back Dean Martin, Burt Lancaster or even Charlton Heston didn't even figure into the production meetings? Anyway it's a watch partially once on TV worthy film.
Sloirishbud
September 1, 2009
I will explain the plot in one sentence : An airplane underwater in the Bermuda triangle. Does that sound good to you?
jam233
January 8, 2010
It is hokey, downright stupid at times, way to melodramatic, far fetched, the plot is riddled with holes, the acting is over the top by most, it's cliche ridden but I still liked it. It had some very suspenseful scenes and it was fun to watch.
December 8, 2009
Thank God this franchise didn't continue...Like how many freakin' disaster movies about airplanes can you make"
firstamb
July 5, 2008
Well, ya can't mention the spoof and not mention the original airline diaster flick that started it all. It was good.
May 1, 2007
One of those cheesy, 70's, disaster films. Good fun when you are bored and find it on tv while surfing the tv channels late at night.
EminenceFront
August 7, 2006
Really? Airplane survival at the bottom of the ocean? I'm fully aware that the third installment in a series requires a bit of reaching, but comeon. Great cast, not-so-great concept.
discodog01
June 8, 2006
Pretty darn good entertainment here! I'm a sucker for these disaster films of the 70s. And once again George Kennedy rocks.
KevinRobbins
August 24, 2014
Either we all drown or we will suffocate.

A group of art thieves decide to highjack a 747 and hide its disappearance behind the legend of the Bermuda Triangle. Unfortunately, the plane crashes into the ocean leaving the passengers in a plane 100 feet under water. It may appear the legend of the Bermuda Triangle is more real than the art thieves imagined. Is there any hope for survival for the passengers on the plane?

"Are you a real police man?"
"Sort of."

Jerry Jameson, director of Heat (1986), The Call of the Wild, Superdome, Hurricane, The Dirt Gang, The Bat People, The Deadly Tower, and The Red Spider, delivers Airport 77. The storyline for this picture is just okay and as you'd expect from a film with this plot. The dialogue was just average and the acting was better than expected. The cast includes Jack Lemmon, James Stewart, Joseph Cotton, Lee Grant, Robert Foxworth, and Christopher Lee.

"Radios don't work underwater."

I grabbed this off turner Classic Movies (TCM) when I discovered it starred Jack Lemmon (he made a lot of good films in this era, this isn't one of them). I felt this movie was a bit cliché and on par with the disaster films from this era (i.e. just okay). Overall, this isn't a complete waste of time but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

"If there are survivors, they're going to find them."

Grade: C
March 8, 2014
Stretches reality well past its breaking point
Carlton M Raines
October 4, 2013
A great 70s disaster movie, A jet crashes into the sea, and the survivors try to stay alive within the plane, threaded through the film are various personalities, and of course all the bad one's die ,Attempts are then made to re float the plane long enough for the people trapped to get out, but it starts sinking quickly, It's an enjoyable disaster romp.
Pookie Burgess
April 22, 2008
In [i]Airport '77[/i], the third installment of the disaster series, a hijacked 747 with a discotheque interior crashes into the Bermuda Triangle and sinks underwater...with the passengers and crew still alive!!! Thanks to the "real" aquatic rescue techniques of the Navy (see end credits for details) only a few miserable lives are lost. Despite the premise, the all-star cast (Jack Lemmon, Olivia de Haviland, Darren McGavin, Christopher Lee, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Grant) is able to save the plot from drowning.
May 26, 2013
For a disaster flik, I've seen worse. But nothing I'd want to see again.
May 11, 2013
Definitely a guilty pleasure movie because from a critical standpoint this is a bad movie. That being said it is fairly over the top and interesting enough to make it a somewhat enjoyable film.
March 22, 2013
The worst one of the bunch... even if i suspend my disbelief, this movie didn't satisfy me as a disaster movie watcher.