97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Alabama Moon Reviews

May 3, 2014
It was a great movie!!!
March 28, 2014
Some kind of modern Tom Sawyer.

Nothing exceptional, but good to spend an evening with the family.
hipsterfilmreviews
February 10, 2014
Okay, I LOOOOOOOVE that there's a character with my name. Just saying it over and over and over like it's a normal name that people don't think is a big deal. People say my name as if they feel silly doing it. It's just a name, guys.

Other than that, this is a nice alternative-culture movie that is probably more hippie-parent accepted than, say, something with explosions or where they teach misogyny to children. you know, like in normal fucked up kids movies. It's clean.
Adam T.
March 11, 2013
The book was fairly good but the movie doesn't have the same vibe as the book. The movie seems to be overwhelmingly fast paced.
November 10, 2012
I think that the general idea of the plot of the movie was rather far fetched. If you can get past that, the ridiculousness of the adult characters is almost to much to choke down. John Goodman is only in the movie in sporadic intervals for a total of probably about 15 minutes, yet he is the best actor in the movie. None of the characters are really explained well, nor does it really tell you why the "boy's home" is set up like a prison, when they're just supposed to be homeless. You're supposed to believe that these kids can survive in the woods in the cold and rain and they'll be fine. You're supposed to believe that a man has raised his son for 11 years in the woods eating wild life when a small town is 6 miles away. The outrageousness of the events that take place is absolutely ridiculous. It's like watching the 1990s Saturday morning shows like Power Ranges and Can of Worms with the bad acting and lazy writing except it lasts 2 hours instead of 20 minutes.

You should not watch this movie. It is a waste of time, boring, and not worth the $2.99 itunes is renting it for.
November 4, 2012
Ethan's rating. Highly recommended for tween boys.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 1, 2012
Great young person's story and a great story for anyone who has lived down south and misses it. 5 stars
July 24, 2012
A very different movie, some good pranks but I wouldnt try them at home and certainly not on the local copper! A good flying time filler as well.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

June 9, 2012
An adventure for the boy in all of us.

Just an OK family movie! Alabama Moon is a lovable movie, as long as you can remember what's being a child and dreaming about a grand forest adventure, living off nature, standing by yourself, dodge bullies, defy all odds and make some great friends in the process. I can't say I liked or hated the film, but to me it was just very normal, didn't really excited me in any way and sometimes bored me. But no matter what the film is well made and highly recommended for kids to see.

The 11-year-old son of a reclusive anti-government extremist finds his life upended after his father dies suddenly, leaving the untamed boy to fend for himself alone in the wilderness. Moon Blake's father never trusted a soul. A paranoid loner, he raised his young son in the deep woods, teaching him everything he needed to be completely self-sufficient. When his father suffers a mortal injury, Moon sets his sights on Alaska. His journey is cut short, however, when a hard-hearted policeman has him shipped off to reform school. There, with the help of his newfound friends, Moon plans his big escape while learning the one lesson that his father could never teach him: no man is an island. Alabama Moon was based on the book by Watt Key.
toxiemite
April 27, 2012
Alabama Moon is a great little family film from the director of Second Hand Lions, and like that film this is a unique and unusual story about a lonely pre-teen boy. Raised in the wilderness by his paranoid and government-fearing father, Moon finds himself alone when his old man passes away from an infection. Eventually caught he ends up in a youth detention fascility where he and a few other kids stage a daring escape. The movie is complex and rather heavy for a family film but its one that will have the kids asking questions... which is good. To draw any kind of comparisons is difficult but I guess you could liken it to Stand By Me crossed with Holes. Well worth a look and refreshingly original... especialy for a family flick.
gillianren
April 23, 2012
Luckier Than He Knows

Boys' homes and so forth are generally shown in films as being corrupt, and it's true that the boys in this movie needed counseling which was never even mentioned. In fact, even at the happy ending, no one mentions the counseling the boys still need. Perhaps need even more after the movie's events are over. It's also true that growing up in the system isn't the happiest life possible, and the boys here are in one way or another so far gone that there isn't even mention of putting them into foster homes. All of this is true. However, even being in a boys' home has got to be better than what could have happened to these boys if they weren't cared for. All I'm saying is that I've already reviewed one movie about someone who died in Alaska because he didn't know what he was doing; if that guy had been eleven, it would have actually been a tragedy. Especially if he had been raised to believe that it was the best possible life.

Moon Blake (Jimmy Bennett) has lived in the woods with his Pap (J. D. Evermore) as long as he can remember. Pap is worried and angry because a road has been built into their woods, and some rich lawyer (John Goodman) had a hunting lodge built. This is bad news for the Blakes, but it only gets worse when Pap falls and breaks his leg; he dies of his injuries after telling Moon that the law is looking for him, and he should wait until spring and then head up to Alaska, where he will be able to live free. As he is getting ready to head out, Moon meets the lawyer, Mr. Wellington, who summons the constable (Clint Howard) to take him to a home. Because Moon is eleven. At the home, Moon befriends Kit (Uriah Shelton) and Hal (Gabriel Basso), and he decides that, when he breaks out, he's going to take them with him. In fact, he decides that he will break out all the boys and they will live in the woods until it is time to move up to Alaska, because Moon has a very limited understanding of the world.

To be perfectly honest, I believe the way Pap raised Moon is child abuse. Most of the reviews of this movie talk about how heartwarming it is, but think about it. The reason the law is after Pap is that he is squatting on the land; the reason Pap wants to go to Alaska is so that he can find some land no one is using. Moon and Pap talk to a storekeeper (I'm not sure), and that's about the only person Moon talks to who isn't his father. He barely remembers his mother, and he has no friends. He doesn't know anything about the world other than what his father chooses to teach him, and we later find out that there are people who would very much like to meet Moon that he doesn't even know exist. He doesn't understand that not every boy is equipped to live out in the woods, and he certainly doesn't realize that the medicines his father taught him about cannot cure everything--despite the fact that they didn't do his father any good for his broken leg.

I don't think it's ever established what's wrong with Kit, and I think that may be the right choice. After all, Moon wouldn't understand whatever-it-is. The two most likely candidates so far as I can tell are some form of cancer and AIDS. Certainly that would explain how Kit managed to get sick despite not having a chance to be exposed to much in the way of germs. He also gets a big handful of pills with his meals, and that implies AIDS to me. It is also true that the boys in the home don't exactly have the best parents; if they did, they wouldn't have ended up in the home. And Kit is too young to have gotten AIDS through any method that involved his own deliberate actions. I don't think it's ever made clear what Moon's mother died of, but given the life he's led, Moon probably wouldn't know much about the variety of diseases to which humans are prone. I'm also reasonably sure that his father would be the sort who wouldn't explain AIDS because his pure little boy will never have to know about it.

In many ways, the movie seems about as naive as Moon himself. Certainly it never quite condemns his father for the childhood he had, though you can kind of see John Goodman wanting to and just sticking to the old "never bad-talk the parent in front of the kid." Constable Sanders goes about things all wrong, but I don't want Moon to be living alone in those woods, either. He's lucky that he didn't get hurt or sick himself. He's lucky that he was living on the land of someone interested in helping him. He's lucky that there was a way out of the system for him. And honestly, he's lucky that his father wasn't a whole lot crazier, because most of the time, someone who cuts himself and his child away from civilization like that has some pretty serious mental health problems. No one in the film uses the phrase "paranoid schizophrenic," possibly again because Moon wouldn't know what that even meant, but there's a strong implication there. I don't think it's meant to be, but it is.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 2, 2011
Nice little family film that should appeal to parents and kids under the age of 12. Clean language, Christian values and Clint Howard.
February 23, 2012
This was a sweet family movie that we really enjoyed. It has a great ending. As for language, one of the boys does occassionally use some foul words that he has obviously picked up from his alcoholic father. Other than that, it is adorable.
Brody M

August 2, 2011
Alabama Moon is the perfect movie to gather the whole family together, Sitting around a nice, warm, crackling fireplace on the couch, Enjoying each other's company......... If you have a family.I notice I don't enjoy too many family movies anymore but I enjoyed this 1 from start to finish especially the big escape by bus.I was hoping that the kids wouldn't have been scared & had to go back but I guess all them kids being on the run wouldn't have been a good idea for the movie
gumnerf
August 21, 2011
Some pretty blatant falsehoods, but still a pleasant story.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 11, 2011
Cast: John Goodman, Jimmy Bennett, Clint Howard, Gabriel Basso, Gary Grubbs, Uriah Shelton, J.D. Evermore, Annalise Basso

Director: Tim McCanlies

Summary: Escaping from reform school and returning to the forest where he was raised by his survivalist father, 11-year-old Moon Blake and two pals dodge the law and live off the land. But soon Moon begins to question his prejudices against the outside world.

My Thoughts: "A great adventure movie for the kids. They rooted for Moon, Kit, and Hal all through the movie. Although the film feels like a clean cut Disney flick, the movie does have a bit more of an intense story line. The movie shows how some of the choices parents make effect their children. There was laughter and tears. In the end, a good movie for the whole family."
August 1, 2011
This is a fantastic family movie for upper elementary and middle school students.
xtremeandy
xtremeandy

June 12, 2011
This movie like almost any movie is not without its flaws but what it lacks it makes it up with heart. This movie has that Disney feel or even nickelodeon but it seems that it wasn't and maybe that is why after the apparent flaws this movie has. It has to make up with a lot of heart but still doesn't quite get there. But don't get me wrong this movie lets itself be watched without much hassle and it does its purpose and entertains in a softer manner that what the story is really all about. A couple of characters or maybe even the actor's seems out of place or wrongfully casted and not very well developed. But the kids and John Goodman really make up for everything else. What can I say? It could have been so much better and bring such a serious theme to a higher level of movie.

The story is pretty straightforward a kid living alone with his environmentalist father has to learn to go back to civilization once his dad dies of an infection of the leg. The kid goes into a jail for children were he makes his very first friends , bust out with them , fight the creepy sergeant who's always after him and learn to let go of the burden his late father had inflected upon him.

After the unexpected death of his survivalist father, an eleven year old boy raised in the Alabama wilderness must learn how to make a home in the modern world.

Eleven-year-old Moon Blake has spent most of his life hiding out in the forests of Alabama with his father, an anti-government radical who clings to conspiracy theories and trusts no one. Moon's life suddenly changes when the land is sold and his father dies. Knowing only what he learned from his father, Moon decides to follow his last instructions; make your way to Alaska where "people could still make a living off trapping." In the path of civilization, Moon quickly lands himself in a reform school where he meets the mean-spirited Constable Sanders and learns what friendship is all about. Determined to get to Alaska, he and his new friends escape from the school outwitting Constable Sanders each step of the way. "Alabama Moon" is a classic kid's film (based on the novel by Watt Key), complete with adventure and survival that most kids only dream about.