The Alamo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Alamo Reviews

½ October 27, 2012
A good historical film, but I've seen better. Quaid has one of his best performances (in my opinion), but that's not saying much. Thornton was good. Jason Patric and Patrick Wilson were m'eh.
November 16, 2011
The Alamo was just not a good film. I did not like the acting, it was overdone and there's too much talking going on. The film tried to portray some men as heroes when, for example, the character Jim Bowie just seemed like a drunkard, slave-owning bastard (maybe America tries to portray him as a hero when in my perception he's not?. It's just not an interesting film.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 4, 2011
The Alamo is the perfect example of a film that really good, but has gotten so much bad press because it was a box office bomb. The Alamo is a very underrated film that is an interesting history lesson as well as an entertaining film. Yes, it's a period piece, and it doesn't have exciting, thrilling explosion. But the film is nonetheless an accomplished piece of work with a good enough cast to keep the viewer interested. I would recommend this film to people interested in history, and those interested in the Battle of the Alamo. There's a pretty good cast at hand here, and the film is one of those films that shouldn't be dismissed. The battle scenes are impressive, and will appeal to history buffs for sure. I think it's always impressive to see real events recreated and I thought that John Lee Hancock created a worthwhile historical film that will definitely appeal to history buffs. The Alamo shouldn't be regarded as a bad film. Just because the film bombed, doesn't mean films suck. There are tons of great films that have failed at the box office. If you're interested in the subject, then I recommend watching this film. But to the others expecting a solid action film, you will be sadly disappointed. A must see film for the history buff.
½ July 29, 2010
boring. C-
cosmo313
December 31, 2009
This has a few problems that the 1960 version also had (mainly with uneven pacing), but is still a few hairs better. If I could I'd give it 4.25/5. As far as a letter grade, I'd give it as close to an A- as possible without it actually being an A-. This is an entertaining, thoughful and quite accurate depiction of the battle at the Alamo. It's still guilty of taking liberties of course, but nonetheless stands as the most accurate portrayal of the battle to date. The music by Carter Burwell is good, the camera work is not too shabby, and the set and costumes are just fantastic. The best part of the film is the casting, but more specifically, the performances they give. The highlights are Billy Bob Thornton as Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Quaid as Sam Houston. Jason Patric is also good as Jim Bowie, and Patrick Wilson is decent as WIlliam Travis, but maybe slightly underwhelming. I really liked that these characters are presented as more human than in previous depictions. It was also nice to see more of the political side of things, and to get a better look at events from Santa Anna's perspective. It's unfortunate that this film din't do well at the box office and that most people crap all over it. It's a good movie that is worth seeing, so give it a chance.
June 23, 2009
Dennis Quaid is as exciting as a banana
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ May 28, 2009
"You will never forget"

Based on the 1836 standoff between a group of Texan and Tejano men, led by Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie, and Mexican dictator Santa Anna's forces at the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas.

REVIEW
I was expecting a little more from this film, but it really didn't start to take off until more than hour into the picture. Most historical films take some liberties with thought-provoking statements and/or comic relief. This film, however, simply delivered factual rhetoric for the first hour. It wasn't until the second hour that the actors seemed to get into character and the story really picked up.

I will probably research some of the scenes that I saw to see how "accurate" they may or may not have been. It was the end sequence that I was really waiting for. I know from history that the final battle ended in a matter of minutes. Supposedly the reason for this was that Santa Anna took a nap every day around 4pm. Houston became of aware of this and launched his attack right after 4pm, catching the Mexican leader literally asleep at the switch. I didn't really see anything to prove or disprove this fact in the film. It would have been nice to see, however.

Overall, a watchable film. Special credits goes to the superb sets and costumes. The acting was good, but more could have been done to enhance the script.
FilmFanatik
½ October 13, 2008
There is some nice cinematography, Thorton's Crocket was entertaining and the slow build-up to the actual battle was nice, but the film feels disjointed and underplayed. Not that great of a film, but definitely worth it for the historical significance.
½ December 1, 2007
Spectacular and extroadinary. Deeply moving, captivating and absolutely breathtaking. A fierce, powerful and excellent epic filled with emotion, drama and awsome battle sequences. It's a triumph. It's a totally compelling true story. The cast is truly outstanding, they consume theirr roles with intelligence and dedication. Dennis Quaid is magnificent. Billy Bob Thorton is brilliant. Jason Patric is teriffic.
puffchunk
November 30, 2007
Lots of patriotic junk, but the battle scenes were fun, and Billy Bob playing the violin is alright too. Especially when he gets shot lots.
June 8, 2006
Sadly underrated movie, with an especially good performance from Billy Bob Thorton as Davy Crocket.
neumdaddy
April 27, 2004
So...my brother and his wife made me an offer I couldn't refuse last night.

I am now my niece's Godfather.

The thoughts rain down...

[size=1]"Are you SURE you know what you're asking??"[/size]
[size=1]"What did I do to be honored like this?"[/size]
[size=1]"At this moment, I cannot think of a more moving gesture."[/size]
[size=1]"OK, this silence is fasting approaching [i]awkward[/i]..."[/size]
[size=1](drop)[/size]

I was awash with emotion. And me without my umbrella, too.

A grand way to start out the week, I must say. The NeumFather...returns.
Cameron W. Johnson
March 25, 2011
TV Guide describes it as a "re-creation". Yeah, they actually did start a small war and filmed it. Talk about method fimmaking. Remember The Alamo '04. Well, to be fair, that demand is pretty hard to live up to, considering that film brings not much more to the table than a fine score and production to cover up editing faults, poor dialogue, improvable performances (Except from Thornton, uh-huh) and severe plodding. Ultimately, John Lee Hancock's "The Alamo", isn't bad, per say, but is still an underwhelming execution of the powerful piece in Texan history.
June 27, 2006
Strikingly average "epic" that tries its best, but never quite reaches anything above mediocrity.
½ November 21, 2009
Supposedly a more historical account about The Alamo compared to the beloved John Wayne epic, the film despite dragging in parts is really well shot, the acting was hit and miss some actors were better than others. All in all it was a good movie, just could have been slightly better.
John2223
December 22, 2008
There are some slow moments in the movie but I was never really bored. It's an interesting movie to watch but it simply never becomes impressive or even emotionally powerful.
November 17, 2015
A considerably underrated film. The Alamo is an epic story told outstandingly in this war drama. Hancock's vision came through in the intense battle sequences and the strong performances that gave it that credibility.
½ March 22, 2015
Just average as can be. BB-Thornton as the violin-playing Crockett was a highlight though. Viewers will find something to enjoy.
July 19, 2014
Ok movie. Long, overdramatic, slow, decent action, good performances, especially Patric and Thornton. The reason this is one of the biggest box office bombs in history is because everyone knows the end, so why watch it? And while this is a mostly true statement, it still offers a few good things.