Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
August 9, 2014
A cutesy, hard to hate comedy.
November 16, 2014
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a very fun and lovable film that kids and adults alike will enjoy. Its nothing new or original, but the cast and humor is fun enough to make this a childhood classic.
½ December 15, 2014
This is one of those movies where people find themselves in exponentially more and more disastrous situations and we laugh ourselves silly at them. It's kinda funny, and kinda sweet, thoroughly fine, but certainly not terrible, no good, or very bad. Steve Carrell and Jennifer Garner anchor the proceedings very well, and Ed Oxenbould is an endearing enough Alexander. Some of it is even quite funny, but it never rises above a run-of-the-mill family comedy, even though it occasionally promises an edgier bite than it delivers.
November 2, 2014
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a simple and entertaining little movie with a great cast.

The director keeps it simple and entertaining. There are a few, very few, adult geared jokes, but they're funny and help keep things interesting. There is a good enough chemistry to these actors to add that little punch it needs for us to start liking and rooting for the characters.

It's short at 1:20, and this is actually a strength to the film. Every moment works to get the movie where it needs to go. Alexander is worth going to see with the family.
April 24, 2015
Funny. Very well acted. Family entertainment suitable for the adults in the family as well as the kids.
April 8, 2015
"Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" is exactly what you expect. I don't mean that in a negative way, it just typifies the family-sticks-together-when-everything-goes-wrong comedy. The film is a very loose adaptation of the children's book (in fact, only the title and several minute details are the same as the book) but it delivers a complete story with a moral at the end. It is full of slapstick humor that will have the entire family laughing out loud. We can all relate to having a day where nothing goes right, which is why this chaotic embellishment of "the bad day" will resonate with everybody; unfortunately, it strikes me as the type of movie that kids will want to watch over and over again but parents will only want to watch once. Disney provides a nice cast with veterans Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner. Unlike the book, the family takes the brunt of the unfortunate events while Alexander, played by Ed Oxenbould, ties the story together. His acting isn't anything spectacular but I feel as if his delivery makes this character one to which kids can relate. I was disappointed in some inappropriate references to male body parts which were entirely unnecessary but, aside from that, the film is entirely family friendly. "Alexander and the...Bad Day" isn't the best family film that I have seen but it's definitely worth a watch.
February 21, 2015
This movie is pretty much nothing but fluff, but it's got some pretty funny moments and brought back some good memories of reading the book when I was a kid. It's definitely aimed squarely at the 5-10 audience, but for what it is, it's cute.
January 30, 2015
The only part of the book that I actually remember is the gum in the hair. It was pretty funny, but since you have Steve Carell dressed as a pirate, it should be. Artistic license later, and I'm pretty sure that was the only reason they could get the movie to be a feature length film.
October 17, 2014
This brings memories back from Diary's of a Whimpy kid. It was funny and had me laughing throughout the movie. All the actors played their part well! Everything goes wrong and you see what happens to each of them, including the baby. My favorite moment is when Steve Carell yells Argh! This is a very good family movie to watch just like Mr. Peabody. I'm finding a new cliche that is getting old and that is showing the end of the movie then go back and fill in what happens before. They should have done a sketch just like Diary's of a Whimpy Kid instead. Overall, a great comedy!
½ October 13, 2014
Sweet, sometimes effective, and incredibly earnest, Alexander and the Terrible... is a family film that is full of heart, even when it's shorter on laughs than it wants to be. Featuring a great cast, especially newcomer Dylan Minnette who is one of the best child actors I've seen in a while. Garner and Carell are fantastic as the parents.

I wish the film's conclusion would have been brave enough to follow through with Garner's character and her arc. Instead it pulls back, and we get a rather predictable ending to the film. It is such a great throwback to older family films, but for younger viewers, this film will see fresh and fun. Especially since there aren't many others like it nowadays.
½ October 12, 2014
This Disney film based on the children's book of the same name is a funny and good natured despite what each family member goes through. Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner are admirable as the parents who keep their cool under pressure. The kids are also cool under pressure. It is sweet and not as mean-spirited as the title suggest. At only 75 minutes, the movie doesn't overstay its welcome and it is refreshing to have a family comedy that doesn't resort to lame gags and pop culture jokes. It is a family film that is mostly innocent but still knows have to have fun.

Grade: B+
½ October 11, 2014
A sweet and often funny family comedy that rarely panders to it's audience and boast lovely performances from all especially new comer Ed Oxenbould as the the title character Alexander.
October 10, 2014
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is good family fun at just the right length, perfect for those with short attention spanned family members or those that would rather not sit in a theatre for hours.
½ August 20, 2015
I thought this was well done, but probably wasn't the best choice for my 3 and 5 year old. I had to hold in the laughter during the Dick Van Dyke scene because the girls didn't realize what that word meant. Wish I could have laughed!
August 19, 2015
While it's anything too meaningful, Alexander and the bad day is a pleasant family movie that surprisingly offers some solid subversions to the kid movie genre.