The Alien Prequel Is Dead, Long Live Prometheus

Summary

Ridley Scott's "Alien" prequel is no more, and in its place we have "Prometheus," a "more original" film that uses the "'Alien' DNA." Back to Article

Comments

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

At first I was disappointed by this news, but it's still Ridley Scott doing Sci-Fi again (finally!). Looking forward to this still.

Jan 18 - 05:52 AM

Alex L.

Alex Lavoie

great new, Im not a fan of alien, I hate the ''horror'' side of this sci-fi. Still is, Ridley scott is one of my favorites director, the majority of my favorites movies are from him. I prefer historical epics but I loved Blade Runner, I trust him do delivery.

Jan 18 - 06:30 AM

Adele D.

Adele Doherty

I feel slightly disappointed that we're not gonna get the Alien prequel that was first planned, although on reflection maybe it's good that it's not going ahead that way. The Alien franchise as a quadrilogy is more than enough really.

However, news of there being a new Ridley Scott SciFi movie is pretty damn exciting! It'll be interesting to see how they're going to use the 'Alien DNA' in this new project. I dont think I've ever seen a bad movie from Ridley Scott so this is definitely something I'm already looking forward to.

Jan 18 - 07:03 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

I agree completely. But I have seen a bad Ridley movie...Robin Hood.

Jan 18 - 08:41 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Did you really think it was bad? or just disappointing for Ridley Scott?

Jan 18 - 08:51 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

I didn't like it period. Kingdom of Heaven (the Director's Cut is all I've seen) is a somewhat okay movie, but pure shit coming from Ridley Scott.

Jan 18 - 09:27 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Fair enough, to each their own.

Jan 18 - 09:33 AM

Adele D.

Adele Doherty

I quite liked his take on Robin Hood, actually. It brought a new interesting flavour to an otherwise well told story. I think though, everyone favours the Kevin Reynolds version (Kevin Costner, Christian Slater, et al). Or of course, the old Disney animation!

Jan 18 - 12:06 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

I just recently watched Costner's version. Didnt like that one either. I really need to rewatch Scott's, because I know it was better than Costner's. Or really, they were just different. One was Gladiator mixed with Braveheart, the other was just fun and over the top.

Jan 18 - 01:38 PM

DarthRage

Kevin Crawford

Is this going to have anything to do with the large petrified creature in the crashed ship from the first Alien? I thought I remembered Scott saying he wanted to explore this?

Jan 18 - 07:30 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

I agree completely. But I have seen a bad Ridley movie...Robin Hood.

Jan 18 - 08:41 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Did you really think it was bad? or just disappointing for Ridley Scott?

Jan 18 - 08:51 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Jan 18 - 09:27 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Fair enough, to each their own.

Jan 18 - 09:33 AM

Adele D.

Adele Doherty

Jan 18 - 12:06 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Jan 18 - 01:38 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Did you really think it was bad? or just disappointing for Ridley Scott?

Jan 18 - 08:51 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Jan 18 - 09:27 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Fair enough, to each their own.

Jan 18 - 09:33 AM

Dan N.

Dan Nardi

I should be happy - a prequel would have been unlikely to relieve the troubled franchise. But I can't help being a bit sad... no more aliens for a while.

Jan 18 - 08:52 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Jan 18 - 09:27 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Fair enough, to each their own.

Jan 18 - 09:33 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

I'm a fan of the first two Alien movies. But David Fincher's Alien 3 was awful. Resurrection was a slight improvement, but the Alien vs Predator series killed it. Only Ridley Scott or James Cameron could breathe life back into this series.

Jan 18 - 10:45 AM

cuni34

Max Cunillera

Lets Ridley ride this thing.........everytime he went to the sci-fi genre he made two marvelous films. (Alien and Blade Runner)

Jan 18 - 11:19 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

That was before the CGI crap though. Lucas did great movies also remember...

Jan 18 - 01:18 PM

cuni34

Max Cunillera

Agreed.

Jan 18 - 02:18 PM

Adele D.

Adele Doherty

Jan 18 - 12:06 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Jan 18 - 01:38 PM

Lando Griffin

ben keesing

Hang on did he say at any point that this film is not a prequel anymore?

Jan 18 - 12:43 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

That was before the CGI crap though. Lucas did great movies also remember...

Jan 18 - 01:18 PM

cuni34

Max Cunillera

Agreed.

Jan 18 - 02:18 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Would have been interesting to see the prequel idea, but in all honesty, I am very happy for this news. Better not to explain the origins of the Alien; the mystery is part of what has kept them fascinating and interesting for three decades. Glad Scott is getting back into Sci-Fi, though. Anybody know if he is still attached to The Forever War?

Jan 18 - 01:38 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Jan 18 - 01:38 PM

cuni34

Max Cunillera

Agreed.

Jan 18 - 02:18 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I'm equal parts disappointed that it's not going to be a flat out Alien movie and relieved that it's completely original. This makes sense. Something didn't feel right about Scott filming just another movie about those nasty aliens trapping people in spaceships. I'm still not clear if this even takes place in the same universe. "Alien DNA" could mean a story that takes place before Ripley's time or it could simply mean a return to that kind of film making.

Jan 18 - 02:25 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Good move, and I think the point is what can the Alien films show what audiences hadn't seen already because they pretty much showed everything that needs to be shown!

Jan 18 - 05:20 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>