Alien3

43%
  • Alien 3
    1 minutes 42 seconds
    Added: May 9, 2008

Critic Review - Rolling Stone

Bold and haunting

May 12, 2001 | Comments (11)
Rolling Stone
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Anthony Henry

Anthony Henry

What plagues this movie is the continuity flaws aka. the magic alien eggs that are on the Sulaco with no explanation and needlessly killing off the surviving characters from "Aliens" in the first 10 minutes of the movie. I did like the sets, the concept of the new alien coming from an animal host, and the cinematography. But that's not enough to save this depressing down turn from "Aliens" for me. There are also no memorable characters other then Ripley, so no one cares when the alien starts picking them off. A bland and depressing film. Stick with the classics "Alien" and "Aliens" and ignore this one.

Nov 30 - 06:26 AM

Balls McHammer

kolya Fist

I disagree, the doctor was good, too bad they killed him off a quarter of the way into this film.

Also, why did the alien take forever to gestate inside her?! How did it get there? Why was human Bishop there at the end, like we're supposed to be all, OMG it's Bishop...STUPID

I saw this in the theater and was excited. When they Killed off the surviving Aliens characters at the very beginning a grim realization came over me, this movie was gonna suck.

I just watched it again, and what disappoints me most is, with the nice sets, great cast, wonderful director, this could, nay, should have been a slam dunk, instead it's just boring, often silly, and not worth your time.

Jul 6 - 06:54 AM

Dylan P.

Dylan P

I agree.

Feb 5 - 06:41 AM

Shake Zula

Shake Zula

Rock on!

Feb 26 - 04:38 PM

Jeremy Ponniah

Jeremy Ponniah

I fully agree- it was an incredibly brave move not merely multiplying the aliens and putting in bigger guns. Not to mention killing off Newt and Hicks, which I thought was brilliant as it made me cry for the first time in the series and really made the fight Ripley's. I loved the darkness, I loved the deaths, I love the new type of alien, I loved the music and I loved the ending.

Apr 16 - 02:35 AM

Shake Zula

Shake Zula

You speak the truth.

Apr 16 - 05:30 AM

Brady Smith

Brady Smith

I also never understood the blind hatred for Alien 3. Fincher injected his dark, grimy directing style into the franchise and it worked. And for everyone complaining about the so-called "continuity flaws," Hicks and Newt both biting it before the film even begins, etc., I'd say that everything made sense in the context of what Fincher was trying to do for the overall feel of the film. He was trying to create a sense of despair and isolation by killing off Ripley's only living friends. And as for the egg that "comes out of nowhere" on the ship, well...the Queen WAS spending some time around their equipment at the end of Aliens, so it's not out of the question that she had time to lay an egg. All of the inmates were impressively cast, and I love that we get to see Bishop again at the end. Resurrection is a bad movie, yes...but it's enjoyable in a Euro-trash sort of way. All of Jeunet's films have a sort of slimy pomade sheen to them that makes you feel sort of dirty while watching them (I thought LeeLoo was a bit too childlike in the 5th Element for her to be galavanting around buck-ass nekkid).

May 29 - 03:29 AM

Bheema Da Cashman

Bheema Da Cashman

Derpy hurrpy hurp or hurrpy durp durp?

How the hell is this BOLD AND HAUNTING when it had Ridley Scott's first masterpiece to compete with?

Jun 2 - 12:46 PM

Unbiased C.

Unbiased Critic

Ha it's funny to see there are new comments here, probably because of Prometheus. Okay, about the movie, MAN it was bad. Now, Fincher rocks, but it was the movie itself that was so grotesquely horrifically done that I just had to comment here. I did not feel one bit like it fit in with parts one and two. Travers is just picking careful words to describe this powerhouse franchise's third flick. There are so many bad things to say about this flick so I'll just type short answers and maybe you'll agree and elaborate on it yourself: multiple, and annoying, under-head shots; the dying of all "Aliens" survivors except for Ripley within the first 15 minutes!!; the whole idea of us being stuck with crappy actors and having to listen to the word "fuck" every 5 minutes to keep them looking cool; the Alien animations (ughhghhhhhghghghh); the pointless 20 minute long running around the tunnels, shouting "no go here" "no go there", and warping the camera like that just made it worse (I know it was meant to be the eyesight of the Alien but seriously it was crap); and complete, utter lack of Giger's feel that emblazoned what these movies oughta look like, no matter what the environment---come on, be creative! Where were the artists here??! This movie is so trash that I don't even feel like talking about the good stuff, which there were some ideas there that were actually quite smart, but man did this movie make me vomit. And to kill off Ripley in such a bad movie was the worst sin ever committed. Both Ripley and the alien looked bored out of their minds.

Jun 6 - 01:09 PM

Balls McHammer

kolya Fist

This crap burger was better than Prometheus in every way, barring special effects, and this crap burger stunk like hot shitake on ice.

Jul 6 - 06:57 AM

Balls McHammer

kolya Fist

People should look up interviews with the director and cast about the production of this film. Fincher HATED fox's constant butting in, the script was unfinished. It's a miracle this film came out as decent as it did, without a capable director, (this was his first film) this could have been so much worse

Jul 6 - 07:00 AM