66% The Equalizer Sep 26

95% Gotham: Season 1
36% Scorpion: Season 1
—— Sleepy Hollow: Season 2
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Tutti i Colori del Buio (All the Colors of the Dark) (They're Coming to Get You) Reviews

Cassandra M

April 14, 2011
ergio Martino is famous for producing high quality Giallo films and All the Colours of the Dark does that reputation proud! While I cant say that this is as good as the likes of The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh or the amazing Your Vice is a Locked Door and Only I Have the Key, All the Colours of the Darks stands apart from Martino's other films as it's much more psychological, and spends most of it's running time following a single character. The style of the film is very psychedelic, and this ensures that it always feels very much like a movie from the seventies. There isn't a great deal of actual horror, but this is made up for by the disorienting atmosphere, which ensures that the film is always unpredictable. The film works from a screenplay by Martino's regular collaborator, Ernesto Gastaldi, and it's safe to say that this film is Italy's answer to Rosemary's Baby. We follow Jane Harrison, a woman recovering from the car crash that claimed the life of her unborn child. Her recovery takes a turn for the worse when she finds herself under threat from an organisation of Satanists.

The cast is something of a "who's who" of Italian cult cinema. Frequent Martino collaborators George Hilton and the beautiful Edwige Fenech take the lead roles and the film wouldn't feel complete without them. Edwige Fenech fits the lead role like a glove. She's at her best when she's playing the vulnerable victim, and that is the role she has here. The sleazy George Hilton has been better, and he isn't given much to do in this film; but it's always nice to see him in a Giallo. Cult star Ivan Rassimov stands out as the villain of the piece, while Susan Scott; the beautiful actress who has appeared in films such as Death Walks at Midnight and Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals makes a mark in supporting role. The plot moves well, and Sergio Martino does a good job of getting us behind the lead character. The music and cinematography are superb, and Martino's use of colour helps to ensure that the film has a vibrant atmosphere, which suits the plot well. The climax is a little abrupt, and despite the scene leading up to it; I've got to admit that it left me a bit cold. The rest of the plot is great, however and while this isn't Martino's most successful foray into Giallo; it's still a very good one, and comes recommended.
Ken S

June 10, 2007
Great title, decent Giallo. Oddles of naked Fenech doesn't hurt.
Pierluigi P

December 10, 2008
Trippy take on satanism with tons of blood, gratuitous nudity, surrealism and ghoulish imagery.
December 23, 2007
Gave this one a second look after buying a copy of the DVD, this one is just as much fun on the re-watch.

A fun little thriller featuring surreal dream sequences and some of that crazy 70's Satanism that was so popular back in the day. I'd recommend it for all of the above as well as some gratuitous nudity from star Edwige Fenech.

Give it a look, recommended.
darkdial
March 27, 2007
Martino's film is the italian cousin to Rosemary's Baby. The opening title sequence (which plays out like something out of 'Forbidden Zone' over an italian horror track) leads one to believe you are in for much stranger ride then you get. Still, there is some freak-out editing and brain-bending moments within. If I put aside my distaste for some of the 'Italian thriller' aesthetics of the period, I can really enjoy this. Though there are some pacing problems, things conclude in a satisfactory manner.
flynnparadox
November 22, 2006
Love that title! Edwige Fenech is, again, marvelous in another Sergio Martino giallo winner. This one has a supernatural angle, more akin to mid-sixties Bava or a certain Argento classic. Still good, gory and scary. Check it out.
Jonny B

October 26, 2011
I loved, loved this giallo that takes a few notes from Hitchcock then drops them all in acid. So the narrative is all over the place, the occult scenes are cheesy, and the usual errors associated with 70's Italian horror are present. 'All the Colors of the Dark' is something special, though, in the giallo genre and arguably the most stylish movie of that era of giallos. The viewer cannot help but notice the camera work it's so bloody intrusive - Martino makes great use of floating camera movements, surreal imagery, clever vantage points, frantic zooms and edits, all adding to a dizzying atmosphere. Martino also knows how to create beautifully anxious suspense scenes that are wholly unique. There's not a lot of blood or murders or mystery but it's a dream, an opium, De Quincey-esque movie that is tremendous in its own eccentric uniqueness in a genre already filled with great movies full of style.