Movies Like All That Jazz

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

All That Jazz Reviews

Anthony L

December 31, 2013
Unforgiving and unashamed, Bob Fosse shows us his world in this biographical document of the time, the people and the moment. It's eerie that less than a decade later it would all turn out to be true. It is a wonderful slice of New York thatreland in the late 70's, the obsession, the glamour, the deceit, the bitching, the glitter etc, its all there in its decedent but often sour glory. It's a damn fine musical. The direction and the performances are brilliant. I also believe that this is the best edited film of all time.
Daniel P

February 19, 2009
Decent depiction of the toll the daily grind of putting together a new show takes on a director, and the tension between the drive to produce original art and the knowledge that your time has to end eventually. Spacey dream sequences, entertaining dance numbers and the spectre of mortality keep you watching... at least until the bizarre, excessive finale. A rather "out there" film, and one that's more of a "should see" than a "want to see," it's a sharp piece of art but it's probably not for everyone.
Apeneck F

September 16, 2012
Imagine a vain dancer admiring himself while moving between two mirrors and you've an idea of this work, only that dancer is Bob Fosse, a reality show all by his lonesome, in love with hating himself for loving himself too much, endless reflections stretching to an infinity. Wildly creative and passionate about dance, this is must see for every admirer of musical comedy.
Alice S

June 8, 2012
Clever flashback structure with Angelique on the cluttered "backstage" of Joe's life, sexy and sexual choreography (as expected from Fosse), fantastic performance by Roy Scheider (all the iterations of "It's showtime, folks!"). Really tight story overall about existential angst in life and art with well-timed exposition-while-dancing scenes: Audrey and Joe candidly discussing their failed marriage while she's rehearsing and he's relegated to her barre; Joe, choreographing a routine with his daughter, Michelle, while she fishes for information about his love life. Ann Reinking, as the new woman, is oh-so-slinky in her dance numbers.

The conclusion is much too obvious - so many numbers devoted to regret and loss, all with the faux happy Broadway veneer. It's meant to be ironic, but it becomes self-indulgent at a point. Scheider also doesn't really get any singing or dancing opportunities. He nails the drama, but I wish there could have been at one least number in which he wasn't just dancing around somebody or harmonizing with the angel-voiced Ben Vereen.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

June 16, 2011
A philandering, chain-smoking choreographer struggles with heart problems, both real and figurative, as he attempts to mount another Broadway hit.
What an amazing film! Bob Fosse's All That Jazz is everything that 8 1/2 and by extension Nine wish they were. It is about both show business and mortality, fucking around and fidelity, and addiction and love. We see this in Joe Gideon's attempts to rev himself up for the life he's chosen for himself like a car that won't turn over. He understands that all of his choices have amounted to his unhappiness but feels powerless to change anything. And the producers who calculate profit off of his potential death and scoff at the artistry of his choreography serve as an unwelcome reminder that for many it's more about the business than the show.
I think my favorite scene is the dance that Gideon's daughter and girlfriend do for him before they serve him dinner. The choreography and their interaction with him are so charming as to melt this cold cynic's heart. More to the point, I thought, "Why is it that those who are most loved realize it the least?" Then I saw the reaction shots, showing Gideon laughing uproariously. He does realize it, but nothing can re-direct his life's course, which sets up the truly tragic but fitting ending.
Bob Fosse's remarkable choreography is all over All That Jazz, and this is the film to disprove those who think that dancing isn't a truly effective form of artistic communication. Additionally, Roy Scheider's performance is fantastic; who knew that the dude from Jaws could sing and dance?
Overall, this is one of the best musicals ever made, full of fantastic numbers, great acting, and a substantive story.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

August 5, 2010
The last 45 minutes or so of this show were very very good. The last 15 minutes FANTASIC! I loved it...If you love broadway, showbusiness, choreography ect. You will love this movie!
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

February 6, 2010
One of the few musicals i can tolerate, and even like.
Tim S

February 5, 2010
Really liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I think it was the editing that some might find annoying but I thought it was perfect for the story. Roy Scheider is great, but I was really impressed by the dancers and their naturalistic performances.
Mark H

January 20, 2010
Vulgar, decadent, autobiographical musical about Bob Fosse. Interestingly, the portrait is not flattering despite being written, directed, even choreographed by Fosse himself. There is real self -loathing here as the film challenges the viewer to care for the main character. He's morally repellent and downright unpleasant. Joe Gideon's constant daily routine is Vivaldi, Visine, Alka-Seltzer, Dexedrine and sex. He juggles multiple women, including a wife and girlfriend as his health deteriorates. Overly affected and self indulgent fantasy sequences in which he flirts with the angel of death are intercut with graphic scenes of real open heart surgery. Even the dance numbers feel overwrought. AirRotica, one of his most flamboyant, tries to be so aggressively erotic, it's actually humorous. Shockingly overrated, it was nominated for Nine Academy Awards. Roy Scheider has a real presence in the leading role. As for the rest? I just didn't get it.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 28, 2008
Roy Scheider gives a good performance of a basically unlikable person and most of the dancing is very good but the overall tone and feeling of the film is off putting.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 29, 2007
although held back by an unothodox style and pacing of the music, the film excelled in enough areas so as to not only balance it out but to overcome the flaws to make for a very good movie. the commentary on death in the final act was obviously the strength and scheider gave a great performance.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

March 18, 2008
After years of battling drugs dealers, murderers and sharks, Roy Scheider really shines in this dark musical based on the life of Bob Fosse, who was previously involved in Cabaret, Chicago and Damn Yankees. The ending of this movie (with Ben Vereen) is one of favorite endings.
Michael G

August 12, 2007
I kind of had a 3-star attitude about All That Jazz throughout most of the movie. I don't like musicals but seeing as how this one was darker and more character-driven I was able to get past my own bias. Roy Scheider was great and Ann Reinking was cute as all hell. Once the inevitable kicked in about 2/3 of the way through and the extended (as in often too long) musical and dance numbers kicked in I started losing interest. The hospital scene with the old woman on her death bed left me speechless. And Jessica Lange is a foxy Angel of Death. In the end I liked All That Jazz, but I probably don't need to see it again.
Jennifer X

September 17, 2007
Incredibly over-the-top and really typifies the area where reality meets illusion. The style takes some getting accustomed to but the dance numbers (oh wow, oh god wow) are really something. Oh mann Anne Reinking.
Ken S

April 19, 2007
Fosse's most personal and flamboyant work. One of my all time favorite films.
Byron B

August 21, 2007
The word phantasmagoria in the synopsis here is a good description of this odd picture. Not an autobiography, but Scheider plays a thinly veiled version of Fosse himself. I couldn't really identify or connect with anybody or anything in this strange movie. The music and dance wasn't all that impressive and I couldn't find any solid meaning to hook me to the story.
John B

July 11, 2007
Before I ever saw Chicago or Caberet, I saw his biopic of Bob Fosse and it was also the first time that I saw Roy Scheider do something other than chase sharks. I thought he did a marvellous job.
Alec B

September 1, 2007
Its basically just a reworking of "8 1/2", but that's not a bad thing. Fosse's self hatred demonstrated here is uniquely interesting because as much as he berates himself for all his personal problems, he's also able to acknowledge that he was rather talented (there are some great dance sequences in this film.).
ashley h

August 27, 2007
Dancing was good but thats about it
Stephen E

May 19, 2013
It was an ambitious (yet slightly self-indulgent) decision by Bob Fosse to make a movie based on his own life, let alone his death. This curious fact alone is reason enough to give "All That Jazz" a watch -- on top of its cynical themes, excellent performances, phenomenal editing and unbelievably harsh ending. In the end, the whole thing comes together quite superbly. And who knew that life within a hospital could be so darn interesting?