—— Transcendence Apr 18

Alle Anderen (Everyone Else) Reviews

rubystevens
rubystevens

December 23, 2010
an excellent drama about the power struggle we know as romantic relationships in the brave new millenium
Mark A

January 7, 2011
Once again the description of this film seems to be completely out of touch with reality. A young couple, on holiday in Sardinia, explores their feelings for each other and mainly tries to avoid interaction with the other couple. The two men share their profession; they are architects. Chris (Lars Eidinger) is less successful than the older Hans (Hans-Jochen Wagner), so there is some professional jealousy that comes into play. The scenery is idyllic, the acting adequate, and the story is slow moving. But still, for all that it kept this viewer engaged. It was interesting to see the two younger people test their relationship and to watch it mature, ever so slightly.

May 8, 2010
While not having much in the way of a plot, the well-observed "Everyone Else" is not a love story. It is a relationship story. Gitti(Birgit Minichmayr) and Chris(Lars Eidinger) are on vacation at his mother's vacation home. Back home in Germany, they are not cohabitating yet(Gitti pops the question) and are still using condoms.(Better to be safe than sorry.) In fact, this might be the first time she is meeting some of his family and makes quite the impression on his sister's(Carina N. Wiese) family. Chris and Gitti are comfortable with each other, not having any more questions that need answering. The only time we learn anything is when they are in the company of other people, letting us know they are in Sardinia, for example.(I really do have to get out more.) Chris is an architect, just starting out, who has lost a competition at home but may have a chance to remodel a local villa. His style to plan things out to the last detail may make his dating a free spirited woman a little odd on the surface(and vice versa), but he has not yet figured out exactly what his tastes are, just as long they are not the same as his mother who collects little figurines.
March 5, 2013
Similar to Derek Cianfrance's Blue Valentine (which coincidentally was released only a year after the release of this film), Everyone Else is a very unsettling film revealing what two human being's inability to simply get along can amount to. It's a difficult film to like because the characters are similar to that of a Scorsese film, in that most of the characters (including the protagonist(s)) are generally assholes to begin with. This makes it difficult to relate to the characters. What's interesting about this film is that even though these two main characters are unlikable people, it's easy to relate to their frustrations with one another.
September 27, 2011
Retrata fielmente a intimidade de um casal. Birgit Minichmayr atuando incrivelmente.
April 21, 2011
foreign arthouse at its worst. as riveting as watching your clothes dry.
February 6, 2011
I don't slow, subtle, or even minimal. In fact, I prefer it. Ozu, Tarr, Angelopoulos - love those guys. But this is tedious. Sort of like "Blue Valentine" with Sardinian sunshine. A big fat "Who cares?" on this one, despite its impeccable technique. A very tough sit.
omelette
January 15, 2011
A quiet, insightful and massively uncomfortable film - I can't say I've ever seen a film like Everyone Else, and I'm not sure if I'd want to. This sadistically probing and intimate look at an unhealthy relationship is perfectly acted, with incredibly detailed character development that made me realize just how hollow most film characters are. Everyone Else is frightening and claustrophobic, and does not even begin to approach the label of 'entertaining', but it is surprisingly absorbing and emotionally effective. A must-see for fans of subtle character studies, although keep in mind that due to the uncomfortable voyeuristic feeling Everyone Else is much easier to admire than to 'like'.
November 28, 2010
Some of the scenes are so emotionally heavy- they don't topple you, though. They're subtle in a way that makes the situation so much more believable. Brigit Minichmayr and Lars Eidinger are unbeliveable - the acting is very much worth it.
dfwforeignbuff
November 4, 2010
long review in making. saw this tonite nov 4 2010. Its a little too much chick oriented to me and became boring and kind of vague. its a good movie and a great sophomore effort by the director but some of the scenes just dragged on. If she dislike him so much why did she marry him?? why did he put up with the constant haranguing??? why did he not do more with his work? the married couple is unbelievable and unpleasant. this film has phenomenal 90 percent on rotten tomatoes and 6.6 on IMDB. the 66 out of 100 is my personal feeling. the ending had a real and the lack of resolution and much of the movie nothing was happening.
megan of suburbia
June 2, 2010
Everyone Else is one of the best and most beautifully-acted films of 2010 (perhaps my favorite so far), and one of the most nauseating films I've ever seen. This minimalist German drama follows a young couple, relatively early in their relationship, on a vacation together. Plot-wise, that pretty much says it all. But this is not a film about its plot; it's about its atmosphere, which is rich and thick and unrelenting. Everyone Else is a painfully disturbing and truthful film, but also, strangely, a romantic one. Some of the most seemingly mundane scenes are somehow filled with a palpable evil. I have rarely seen such mind-blowing tension created and maintained this well. The only other films that come to mind, when I think of this film, are horror films (Eden Lake, Funny Games) which is somewhat strange -- and revealing -- considering that Everyone Else boasts no traditional horror elements. But it made me so physically sick to watch it, as it's so claustrophobic and raw, I swore I could never watch it again. But the next time I crave masochism, I'm sure I will crawl back to this one.
Academock
May 27, 2010
Everyone Else didn't quite change my life, but it probably will make it impossible for me to judge film the same again. The characters in this film are so rich, so real, and performed so well that I at least hope my tolerance for mediocre cliche scriptwriting will wither away. Everyone Else is one of the best films I've seen in a long time, and it warrants so much more praise than it even already has. It could make you sick - that's how great it is.

May 8, 2010