Along Came Polly Reviews

½ October 12, 2012
Well meaning but ultimately stilted (and supposedly) comic piece about opposites attracting that sadly fails. Hoffman (unusually cast), Baldwin and Azaria endeavour mightily to shock the dead here in secondary roles but the film's strict adherence to the well worn formula kills any laffs 5 minutes before the punchline arrives. Only for blue, blue days.
blkbomb
½ June 27, 2011
Sandy Lyle: Dude, no. This is serious. I just sharted.

"For the most cautious man on earth, life is about to get interesting."

Along Came Polly was a big surprise for me. With all the negative responses from critics, I thought this would be just another romantic comedy, and it is, but it's also not. It follows the same basic formula and there's the corny speeches and all that, but this is better than the standard romantic comedy. There really is a lot to like about it. From Alec Baldwin playing a gross boss to Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a washed up, but nonetheless arrogant and snide actor, the movie just hits the right notes.

Rueben is on his honeymoon with the woman he plans on spending the rest of his life with, when... she fucks a scuba instructor and tells Rueben she's in love with him. Rueben returns his life and is obviously hurt emotionally; but when he runs into an old middle school classmate, Polly, he decides to ask her out. Rueben and Polly's different lifestyles clash though as Polly is a very easy going and spontaneous person, and Rueben is the very calculated, risk avoiding type.

If there's anything I didn't like about the movie, it was the constant gross out humor. In a movie like, this one time is okay, but John Hamburg went all Farrelly Brother's with it and probably turned a lot of people off too. With that said this is still a good movie. I really liked the style of the film and I thought the writing, for a romantic comedy, was pretty good. It has the same sort of style as Meet the Parents or The Heartbreak Kid, which is where Ben Stiller is very comfortable, and maybe a bit too comfortable.

All in all, Along Came Polly is worth a look. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I like to watch all kinds of movies and Phillip Seymour Hoffman was in it, so that made this one an easy one to try out. It's not a great movie by any stretch, but it's fun and does some new things.
thmtsang
½ May 31, 2007
Reuben (Ben) is dumped on his honeymoon when his wife runs off with the scuba instructor. He meets a former classmate Polly (Jen) who is very wild and different. Jen is always typecast so it is nice to see her in a more hippy chick role. Ben is so awkward and funny as usual. Very like 'Something about Mary'. Funny movie.
December 28, 2012
Nothing special. For some reason, Reuben (Ben Stiller) decides to date Polly (Jennifer Aniston). For some other reason, opposites attract. "Along came Polly" reminds me of another Aniston movie - "Friends wuth Money".
½ July 28, 2006
One of the more entertaining Ben Stiller films and one I find Jennifer Aniston enjoyable in. Yes lots of cornyness and predictability, but also quirky and feel good too.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 10, 2011
Along Came Polly was a disappointment for me. I expected something very funny, and very well done. Unfortunately this film has minor laughs and wasted good cast on a terrible film. This film could have been much better, unfortunately it misses the mark. Along Came Polly could have been a good film, unfortunately the films ideas fall apart halfway through the film, and the film become tiresome and boring after a while. Along Came Polly could have been a good comedy, but the jokes simply fall flat, and most of them aren't that good to begin with. At times, I did laugh, but this is a fairly forgettable film that really has nothing good going for it. The film could have been much better, and it shows. I wasted my time watching this, and this one of the worst comedies that I have seen. I felt very bored watching the film, and half the time the jokes were so pathetic that it was painful. The film is barely funny, and when it is, it's too little, too late. The film is a missed opportunity, and despite its good cast, fails to be funny or entertaining. Along Came Polly misses the mark in terms of a good comedy. The jokes don't hold up, and most of try too hard at getting a laugh out of you. The film doesn't really do anything that's interesting or entertaining. I was bored watching it, and though it had some good laughs, it wasn't enough to be an effective comedy. In terms of a good comedy, Along Came Polly is not that film. The film is awful and the cast is wasted on such a poor script.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Average. Nothing special. I love Jennifer Aniston and she made this film for me. Ben Stiller still doesn't do it for me. I seriously don't find him that funny.
movieguru12
June 22, 2009
Very light-hearted romantic comedy. I adore Jennifer Aniston and I think Ben Stiller is hilarious espicially his father (watch Seinfeld!). Overall I would recommend this to people who want to get a good laugh. You'll also get a laugh out of Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Crocodile Tears :) I love this movie & with Jennifer Aniston in it, it makes it even more perfect :) Such a cute movie :) Just love it :) Perfect for when you're looking for something goofy, adorable, and cute :) :) :) :) :)
June 4, 2007
I just didn't get it. So Jennifer Aniston is supposed to be free-spirited because she likes Indian food? And Ben Stiller is a planner because he farts when he eats it? Not to mention their chemistry totally, totally doesn't work out - but that seems to be the least of this uneven film's problems.
BEACHBUNNI
February 5, 2008
i thought this was really entertaining and good fun to watch! a good romantic comedy!
The film stars Ben Stiller who plays Reuben Feffer and Jennifer Aniston who plays Polly Prince
the film is about a guy who falls for a woman and then tries to get together with her and things go well for a while until they have an obstacle which they have to overcome, thereby bringing them closer together in the end when true love triumphs over all. Not only that, but this film also features the twist that two of the characters are, like, total opposites. Will opposites attract.. Wow! It is quite deep on so many levels.
i enjoyed it,yes its predictable but cute..
YodaMasterJedi
September 8, 2010
3 stars
June 24, 2010
good some funny parts but not a great movie as I remember it. B-
May 27, 2007
A decent Rom-com that both sexes should find funny. Stiller plays a guy who doesn't take risks in life. When his wife cheats on him on his hooneymoon he meets an old friend who shows him a different outlook on life.
September 30, 2009
Nice film. Funny and entertaining, Baldwin Brown and Azaria are very good in supporting roles but I found Seymour Hoffman a little annoying but maybe that?s because he was suppose to be, anyway, I liked it. Oh, and I think Ferrets are cool.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 9, 2007
Jennifer Aniston has to be the queen of romcoms, and i love her for it, as they are always excellent and this star studded romcm also doesnt disappoint!!
Its hilarious, and really cute and excellent performances from aniston and stiller and one hell of a cute polecat!!
Stiller plays a man who is extremely careful and risk free who happens to fall for Aniston a risk taking happy go lucky woman!!!
This is a lovely movie and well worth a watch!!
April 24, 2009
I can take or leave the love story. As tropes, Reuben isn't THAT cautious and Polly isn't THAT flighty. They seem to be Alvy Singer and Annie Hall Lite. I am glad, however, that the movie doesn't reaffirm the institution of marriage in the end. The real gems are the supporting performances: Hank Azaria as Claude, a refreshingly non-demonized homewrecker, and PSH as Sandy, the cloddish, dope-smoking, bro. I love it when dramatic actors give wonderfully comedic turns.
½ June 12, 2006
Another romantic Ben Stiller comedy with plenty of embarrassing and gross scenes, pretty much like he made them since the hilarious There's Something about Mary. This is far from being en par, though. Some of the jokes are just too gross and unnecessary and there is actually not much of chemistry between Stiller's and Aniston's characters. Let's face it, the whole romantic opposites attract thing aside: they would not even get along in real life. What saves the movie is Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance of a wannabe acting star, Alex Baldwin as boss and the fact that Aniston never looked better. It's still only an okay movie. But the question remains, how many of such films can Ben Stiller make?
Chiefilms
March 1, 2008
Stiller and Seymour Hoffman should do more movies with each other.
July 30, 2007
Stiller....what the fuck. dude?
July 18, 2007
Wow, I wanted to love this movie, but it was just, "OK." I am a big fan of Stiller and enjoy watching Aniston as well (and the cameos were pretty great too), but the comedy felt diluted and bland.