Altered Reviews

½ January 9, 2015
Altered starts with a trio of rednecks hunting in the dark in the bush for something, they are armed and ready. They catch what they are after and head to an old friends place with their trophy, still alive. The catch though, is an alien and what transpires is that these 4 men all reveal that they share something together, an alien abduction that left one of their brothers dead, their lives in ruins. It's payback, but, they have to survive the night first.
Some very good practical effects and make-up and some good gore keep this interesting. The cast and film crew try hard to make this an entertaining film but it has quite a boring middle section after a pretty decent opening sequence. If you are a fan of the genre you shall enjoy it, definitely has some decent moments but it just doesn't drag me along for entire ride.
January 5, 2015
Strong flavor and atmosphere from the redneck setting somehow keep Altered above the standard its genre-schlock premise sets for it. Part of that also comes from an effective commitment to keeping the character relationships meaningful, with a simple but felt history revealed artfully as the plot unfolds. I was astonished to learn that it was made in 2006; I don't know how much they intended it, but it successfully pulled off the 80's horror-action-thriller look.
½ June 14, 2014
I'll just say, there's probably a reason why you can buy it in Poundland.
April 13, 2014
As far as mindless entertainment goes this isn't half bad......B monster movie schlock and I do like me some schlock.
November 12, 2013
"Altered" is no big budget film, but the special effects are fine & the aliens look good...... the performances are convincing, the directing is far better than is to be expected.....a fine example of an "extra-terrestrial thriller" done right....
½ June 11, 2013
I thought that this movie was a hoot! Maybe I was just in the mood for a gruesome, silly, sci-fi alien flick.
May 27, 2013
If you're into suspense, this film is definitely worth the watch -- it heaps it on, even in the scenes where the monster is on screen. Thankfully, these bits don't disappoint either, as the effects are pretty stellar for a straight-to-DVD feature. Don't expect a great story here, but there are definitely loads of shocks and plenty of good old-fashioned scary monster shots, all of which feel complete and nothing comes off as tacky, keeping that tense atmosphere horror fans love.

One word of warning: this film is not for the squeamish -- there's loads of gore, be it alien or human. If you're not opposed to a little chunkiness, though, you'll find most of the messy parts here are pretty creative, especially one interesting bit about halfway through where our monster holds "Otis" hostage in ... an interesting way, to avoid spoilers.

Overall, nothing to call home about, but definitely worth the watch, and a recommendation to friends.
May 17, 2013
Top notch B-movie with top notch gore--Reverse alien abduction story. Surprisingly effective!!
March 29, 2013
ALTERED has the seed of a neat spin on the extraterrestrial horror subgenre, but it misses the mark; the potential is there, but the execution is a bit lacking, mostly due to the writing of the protagonists. In that respect, the movie comes across as tonally uneven - it's hard to buy into an atmosphere of unease when most of our characters are semi-goofy yokels, which is the case here. The movie does eventually go into body horror territory and introduces some cool makeup effects, but it's too little, too late. It is well made, though (despite its visible low budget), and those looking for some goopy and slimy creature work will surely find things to like about it, but ultimately, it didn't work for me.
½ March 17, 2013
A low budget film who's lack of resources is far to evident. The acting and the premises are a joke; however, the makeup and the sound editing are done with precision and skill. The storyline is interesting I guess, but it turns stale quickly. Bottom line, if it wasn't for the incredible makeup and sound direction, I'm not sure this film would get a single star, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Genre fans should give it a watch, but outside of that, I'd stay clear.
February 16, 2013
Exemplary B scifi/horror. The mostly functional dialogue and acting are never much of an issue thanks to the pacing. Questions are raised as quickly as others are answered, yet all while everything keeps chugging forward effortlessly. Few movies are this good at building a backstory while keeping a breathless pace. The effects are fantastic. The alien's design is both endearingly cheesy and brutal. If all cheap-ish (though at $8,000,000, this has a bigger budget than most straight-to-DVD horror flicks) horror movies were this good, I'd die a happy man. Fuck the haters. If you enjoy horror movies, you should love the hell outta Altered.
½ February 2, 2013
After being abducted 15 years earlier, four men set out to catch one of their alien captors. When they finally manage to trap one in the woods and return it to their workshop, they open up a whole new nightmare as more of the razor-clawed creatures begin assaulting them from all sides! Brutal, bloody, and violent, ALTERED comes as a big surprise from BLAIR WITCH PROJECT co-writer Eduardo Sanchez! ALTERED borrows the same basic premise from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, then cranks up the gore and paranoia as we saw in John Carpenter's THE THING. These are not your friendly neighborhood aliens like in E.T., these suckers hunt in packs and rip everything they see to shreds! If that weren't bad enough, they also have the ability to invade your mind, making it impossible to tell just who your friends are... The fast past and gripping suspense will keep you guessing until the very end! Light on story but heavy on mood, Sanchez' alien terror is sure to leave you ALTERED.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
½ January 30, 2013
Stopped after 15 minutes.
½ October 21, 2009
If Seinfeld is the show about nothing, Altered is the movie about nothing. These four friends were abducted by aliens fifteen years earlier, so these geniuses decide to get revenge by kidnapping one of the aliens. They accomplish their goal, but once they do, they don't know what to do with it and lock it in the garage. After that it becomes a slasher film where nothing significant really happens. Honestly, they kidnapped this thing and then don't know what to do with it, so then what's the point? To make things worse, we never see the abduction or find out what exactly happened to them up there. It's just an extremely dark and confusing hunting scene, which believe it or not features a harpoon, and then there is nothing else. As for the acting it is just as inconsistent as the story! One minute their going crazy, trying to kill each other and the next they're crying about old times, it's ridiculous! James Gammon is the only name in this thing, playing the sheriff in one of his last roles. The guys are so intimidated by the sheriff and when we finally see him, we find out he's this little eighty year old guy, are you kidding me? This movie is a complete disaster and an utter waste of time. Being that it's from the writer/director of The Blair Witch Project, I was expecting something as groundbreaking as that was, unfortunately, Altered isn't it and there is a good reason why you've probably never heard of it.
½ January 6, 2013
Pretty decent low budget horror/alien flick, much better than Blair Witch, where the stupid kids didn't even know how to read a map or use a compass. The pace was fast and I liked the beginning switch with the abductees hunting the alien. However, the ending was a bit of a let down--how did they alter Wyatt and why were they afraid of him? Six years and no Altered 2.
½ January 6, 2013
A movie about several rednecks who capture an alien and then... Whisper quietly to one another? While it has it's moments and some gory scenes, this movie largely squanders the potential that it had for some genuine intrigue/scary moments.
January 5, 2013
Despite a couple of mediocre special effects, the film is extremely enjoyable. You get tossed into this crazy story from the beginning, and as you begin to see the pieces of the puzzle be put together it gets better and better. An underrated horror flick with a bunch of awesome things about it!
½ December 11, 2012
A fun, tense, gruesome ride.
½ December 27, 2012
The aliens in this sci-fi horror flick do it all: control your mind and make you attack your friends, deliver flesh-eating viruses, plant bony, Cronenberg-esque tracking devices in your intestines, and just flat-out, violently attack you. From a distance, they look like men in green rubber suits, but up close they are intricate, disgusting, scary, and best of all, not CG. The only thing that prevented this movie from being great is that I never found much reason to care about any of the characters.