Amélie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amélie Reviews

March 4, 2010
This is a great film!When it first came out it was like one of the biggest succes in France & around the world at that time!Once again Jeunet takes us on a journey in a dreamy Paris along a young girl living adventures and looking at life in a total different way! A magnificent film filled with positivity, optimism and an amazing outlook on life. A must see!
April 19, 2016
The beauty of uniqueness. Noticing things others do not and being interested in things others are not makes the lead character "weird" in the most desirable way. The writing and directing take the story deep into the viewers' souls. I wish Amelie was somehow recorded in English, Mandarin, Punjab, etc. but kept the same uniqueness that was shown off so well in French. I wanted to move to France and find a shy, witty, thoughtful barista. At least I have a copy of the DVD to watch whenever I wanted.
½ April 16, 2016
Beautifully shot and well acted, the quirky film might lose a viewer or two based on it's meandering, flimsy plot.
½ April 5, 2016
It was very very hipster and has some stereotypical "french vibes" but it was a fun foreign language french film. very artistic.
March 13, 2016
This will draw you in, with a great mixture of emotion.
½ March 8, 2016
Watched this in grade 11 French class !
½ February 26, 2016
Wonderful. Whimsical, magical, and the right amount of quirky.
January 17, 2008
Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a master of whimsical quirk and Amélie might be his ultimate achievement. It's a kind of neo-fairytale or modern storybook romance, heightened to such with its narration and its wonderful score by Yann Tiersen, simple and melodic, like a small band playing in a café on a sunny afternoon. It delves more than slightly into fantasy, as romance often does, but does so in a very refreshing and fun way. This is a world where gnomes travel and skeletons are somewhat sensual. At the same time, this is just the magic that can and does happen everyday.

Audrey Tautou is impressingly adorable as title character Amélie Poulain, a young woman with the power and imagination to change the lives of just about everyone she comes into contact with. She lives in the moment, enjoying the ways she can bring smiles to the faces of her friends and right the wrongs that she witnesses. She's quiet and seemingly meek, but speaks volumes with her mischievous smile and loving eyes. She finds exciting adventure in what could be the most mundane situations, not taking any little thing for granted.

The film is stuffed with intertwining stories small and large that Amélie drives along, and they are each as important as the next, no matter how much or how little the movie dwells on them. What truly brings happiness? Does the truth really matter if we never know it, when it's what we personally experience that moves us along, for better or for worse. How important is the smallest exchange we may have with a stranger? Sometimes you don't even realize just how much of an effect you have, because you're not seeing the situation from their eyes. But it's all important. The details are all meaningful.

Visually, the film is mostly warm and lush with yellows and reds that pop like blood coursing through the heart. This is contrasted with an undertone of very vibrant greens and cool blues that create a fantastic atmosphere and make everything feel like an organic, natural setting. The color theory here is actually quite amazing, making the film special and nostalgic right from the beginning. It has a lightness, but is still emotional and will leave you with the inspirations of a hopeless romantic. It warms your heart, becoming overwhelming without being overbearing.

Amélie is indeed pure romance. This is the romance of life and it's intricacies, even in it's darkest moments. The film allows you to enjoy even the smallest things that might usually be overlooked and gives importance to the playful particulars of life like the joy of peeling large strips of wallpaper or skipping the best stones along a canal. It shows how one small thing may unfold a series of events that can help you conquer your fears or lead you to where you need to be in life. It shows the perfect, imaginary life we live in our heads and how close to the real world it could actually be. And, of course, it shows true love, as easy or as hard as it might be to find, and just how close it might come to slipping right through your fingers if you're not looking at it from the right angle.
February 11, 2016
Colorful. Beautiful. Heartwarming. It might come as overwhelming to some, but it is a classic example of what makes French cinema... French cinema!
½ November 13, 2015
Great story, fantastic background music, stylistically really interesting to watch. Loved it.
½ February 1, 2016
Beautiful cinematography and fantastic acting is coupled with a simple, clichéd plot that stands out because of the director's artistic choices and the cast's enormous talent.
May 31, 2014
Whatever, it was a good read
August 15, 2015
It's a feelgood romantic film that wasn't very emotional to me. Although, I'll admit it was shot very well and the editing was fantastic. A lot of funny moments that made up for the whole point behind the movie, which didn't affect me as much as the narrative and the amazing pacing of it. 8 years ago my sister recommended it to me. Today I saw it xD
August 24, 2012
easily just became one of my favorite movies of all time, it filled me with so much joy
December 24, 2015
In a world where Rom-coms follow a common formula, Amelie delivers a foreign twist on love that reaches farther than the "boy meets girl/girl meets girls" idea we're used to. Instead, we are given the fantasy and realism of falling in love that makes you levitate thanks to all the butterflies in your stomach.
½ December 8, 2015
She'll change your life! This gem directed by Jean-Pierre Jeune from 2001 is no doubt the gem in my collection. Always up for a change from the mundane, this little quirky film from 2001 peaked my interest and had me begging for more. I couldn't decide if it was the characters, the cinematography or the story that had me so wrapped up in the sheer brilliance of the film. Amà (C)lie is relatable in that there are many people out there that are pining for the attention of their parents, endure unforseen tragic life experiences, seek independence and acceptance in a world where meeting the right person can be a monotonous task in and of itself, but Amà (C)lie faces all that and more. Seeing that no good deed goes unpunished she seeks out the good she can do for others while secretly hoping that she will find good for herself. An intriguing acting style and cast as well as excellent direction and story lines makes this a winner all the way around. Not only will Amà (C)lie change your life, she will change her own.
December 10, 2015
This movie is not quirky in a way which feels overly quirky or in a way that just feels pretentious, this is quirky but it's just lovely. Amélie is of course the French film that was very well received when it first appeared in the early 2000's and not just from the audiences of France, no Amélie seemed to take the hearts of people from around the world and managed or still manages it should be said to capture the hearts of many who view it. Although some claim this to be a masterpiece I don't think it is quite at that calibre, nevertheless it is still a great movie and one that is highly recommendable, even to those who wouldn't think they would like it.

The story centres around well Amélie of course, Amélie Poulain is just a seemingly normal woman working in a Parisian café and lives by herself, but of course we as the viewer get to see what she is truly like. She is not weird really but she is definitely odd, but Amélie is awesome in this film because she is extremely hard to really dislike or the performance of the lady playing her, Audrey Tautou. The plot see's Amélie do a lot of things actually, she becomes a friend of sorts with a fragile old man, tries to find a young man who caught her eye and messes with her dad, sounds like a very random plot and to be fair, it is.

The pacing of the film is frantic and speedy, the lines sometimes come out extremely fast and all credit to the cast for really getting the dialogue out in a way which in funny and entertaining. Jean-Pierre Jeunet directs the movie and really tells quite a little story at the helm, he makes this super strange but really entertaining and although the decision to colour the movie in terms of lenses is quite a peculiar choice, it actually pretty much works in the end. Guillaume Laurant who thought up the story alongside Jeunet then also writes the film and gives Jeunet a great little script to work with, the movie moves along without stopping for too long and that I feel really makes this keep going until the very end.

I mentioned Tautou as Amélie and she is very good in the role, she very much makes you feel for the character and she is fun to be around as well. Serge Merlin as the frail man Amélie befriends is good and works well at the beginning of the story because most other characters take a little while to get used to with the random stuff they say and do. Mathieu Kassovitz as Nino Quincampoix is pretty good too, when he is in the film the story is usually at quite a fast part and so Kassovitz does a good job of keeping the pace going so that the movie really does flow very nicely indeed.

I feel Amélie demands a second watch, I watched this the first time and felt it was pretty basic, but on the second watch I truly opened my eyes and saw this for the great film it is. I couldn't recommend this more to those who haven't already seen it, it's fun, oddly thrilling and just generally very different indeed. So Amélie, a film that showcases how quirky can be done so well but also shows just how good French cinema can be, oh and this movie is stunning to look at by the way.
July 2, 2015
Beautiful and magical with an incredibly lovable character. I can't recommend it enough!
December 1, 2015
my favourite movie ever can't express enough love towards this film. it's like modern fairy tale to me
November 28, 2015
A bit too long for my liking, But Audrey Tautou is very charming as the titular character and the movie features lots of good, quirky humor.