42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Amélie Reviews

February 10, 2010
(First and only viewing - 5/28/2013)
August 2, 2014
Amelie has great technical aspects, intriguing and promissing beginning and the ending is solid, but it nonetheless fails to execute its important theme of loneliness appropriately thanks to its overly quirky nature and too many subplots and detours making it a totally polarizing experience and a lost potential in creating something that is a bit quirky, but also powerful and meaningful.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

August 1, 2014
"And Amélie, they come and go, the shadows and the distant sounds, but Amélie don't be afraid, when the weight of angels weighs you down!" Elton John is the only way to go for a song reference in this case, because you know you're in for one seriously gay adventure when you look at a French name whose full title translates as "The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain". I'm more amazed by how we ignorant Americans went from that to simply "Amélie", although we must not be too ignorant, because this is an overlong title after all, and we kicked Jean-Pierre Jeunet out after "Alien Resurrection". In case you don't have a clue on how lame "Alien Resurrection" is, the director went from that to a French romantic-comedy with a title who translated into "The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain". Mind you, before "Alien Resurrection", he studied the aftermath of the apocalypse through "Delicatessen", and children being kidnapped for the sake of terrible scientific experiments in "The City of Lost Children", but at this point, I suppose it's safe to say that fluff, if not intentional comedy is where he should stay. I'd say so, because through this film, he did the impossible and made a French film that is actually very popular in the states, although he probably couldn't have done it without a superficial romantic comedy plot, or, you know, the gay community. Well, in all fairness, for a French film, this is plenty of fun, at least more so than "Alien Resurrection", which isn't to say that it doesn't have a tendency to get carried away.

Look, now, there is simply no discussing this film without touching upon how blasted eccentric (Un) it is, because even its story and characters are essentially nothing if not whimsical, often to the point of being fun, and just as often to the point of getting on your nerves as too improbable to take in the context of a film this fluffy. Perhaps the fluff would be easier to embrace if the scripted interpretation of an overly cheesy story wasn't itself overly cheesy, as well as unrealized with its level of maturity, jarring between a somewhat mature, sometimes even risky attitude as a comedy, and a juvenility that takes what sophistication there is to this eccentric (Deux) affair out. I guess that would be fine if the uneven humor wasn't also uneven in its hits, for there are more than a few fall-flat moments in which the comedy is overbearingly corny, due to its being so overwrought and, of course, eccentric (Trois), just like the style of the film. This might very well be a formulaic rom-com, but its style is so unique and so top-notch that this film feels as though it's doing the unlikely and freshening up a tired filmmaking style, yet Jean-Pierre Jeunet still manages to mess that up at times, for this film is so heavily reliant on a fabulous, but - you guessed it - eccentric (Quatre) style that it begins to lose a sense of substance, wearing you down, and having plenty of time to do so. Though simply about two hours long, this film is overlong, because from an overdrawn background development segment, to segment shifts in the an episodic narrative about an eccentric (Cinq) lead encountering eccentric (Six) misadventures on her way to help eccentric (Sept) people, many aspects go dragged out to the point of focal unevenness, with help from filler that gets to be near-monotonous, and decidedly aimless. Really, the film simply gives you plenty of time to think about how eccentric-I mean, huit-I mean, light it is, because as inspired as this film is, perhaps to the extent of being relatively outstanding for what it is in a lot of place, what it is remains a thin fluff piece, made all the more inconsequential by too much cheese, style and fat around the edges. The final product doesn't truly reward, but for what it is, it surprisingly comes close, on the back of solid fun and, of course, artistry.

Aesthetic value thrives in this very French fluff piece, and that is reflected pretty heavily even within experimental musician Yann Tiersen's outstanding score, which utilizes archived and new pieces by the artist which carry an old-fashioned flavor to tight, either tastefully minimal or complex compositions in order to craft a colorful score which is both gorgeous by its own right, and about as fitting for this whimsical affair as impressive technical value. The film doesn't play with effects too much, but when it does, although the effects are intentionally surrealistic, they're relatively well-rendered and very well-conceived, capturing the fantastic aspects of this eccentric (Neuf) world which is further brought to life by immersively creative art direction by Volker Schäfer that is made all the more attractive by absolutely captivating cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel. Man, if you see this film for no other reason, see it simply to see how astonishingly good-looking it is with its being a definitive showcase of the great Delbonnel's vibrantly lush emphasis on bright colors against dreamy backlighting, and stylish camera angles, as the visual style of this film is so refreshing that it succeeds about as much as anything at pleasing on an aesthetic level in this artistically, well, marvelous fluff piece. The technical value of the film is outstanding, but before it can allow the film to transcend certain shortcomings and come closer to rewarding than the usual fluff piece of its nature, Jean-Pierre Jeunet needs to know what he's doing as director, and sure enough, as overwrought as he gets with his style, immersive framing, flashy editing and memorably nifty visuals have to be seen in order to be believed as heights in consistently lively scene structuring that go a long, long way making this film, at the very least a great deal of fun. For this entertainment value, credit is due both to Jeunet and to Guillaume Laurant, whose writing, quite frankly, gets to be a mess at times, what with its being so overbearingly overlong, uneven, juvenile and, course, eccentric (Dix), but still succeeds in molding delightful set pieces and plenty of fun comedy, all backed by memorably eccentric (Onze) roles who are actually sold better by quite the colorful cast. Most everyone who receives an extended amount of spotlight steals it, with thorough charm that still can't hold a candle to that of the perfectly well-cast and impossibly adorable Audrey Tautou, whose distinct look and impeccable and immersed portrayal of a uniquely eccentric (Douze) young woman who is shy, yet unpredictably imaginative makes the titular lead role of Amélie Poulain effective as an offbeat audience avatar, and so memorable that she one will find it hard to deny that she is iconic. As a uniquely stylish and distinct fluff piece, I'm telling you, this film does so very much right, it's just that what it does wrong makes it impossible to disregard the inconsequentiality which secure the final product as a little underwhelming, but if you're seeking originality and fun out of a rom-com, you're looking in the right direction if you spot this eccentric (Treize) affair.

When the fantasy ends, the harsh reality that this is a rather inconsequential flick goes stressed by too much improbability, cheese, - much of which is uneven in style - overstylization and uneven, or at least aimless excess to storytelling, though not so much overbearingness that beautiful score work, nifty effects, immersive art direction, stellar cinematography, outstandingly stylish direction, and colorful writing and acting - particularly by an iconic Audrey Tautou - fail to secure "Amélie", or, for you eccentric (Quatorze) folk who like overlong titles, "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain" as a thoroughly fun, if both underdone and overdone modern classic of a French fluff piece. ...Excentrique (Fifteen)!

2.75/5 - Decent
Loki S.
July 6, 2014
An existential delight that is a pure joy to watch.
July 24, 2014
this film inspired me a lot ,!!
July 24, 2014
Visually stunning and fantastically artsy. Great feel good movie that gave me insight on film techniques I never before saw. Also, great soundtrack by Yann Tiersen.
July 13, 2014
A funny and delighting feel-good comedy about the life of Amelie Poulain. Here we meet some quirky characters and several moments of odd hilarity that make you believe in our society. With a mystery as a background plotline as the icing on the cake, this movie succeds through its genuine charm and poetic senses.
July 16, 2014
A French film that is quirky and charming when it finally gets to the love story. About the first hour-ish of this movie is for establishing character and, although necessary, seems to drag on. But from there on it is really enjoyable.
November 13, 2013
Consensus: "Amélie" has an original characterization, also is fast-paced hilarious, empathic, charming and extremely well crafted. 83/100 [B+]

Amélie is a story about a girl named Amélie whose childhood was suppressed by her Father's mistaken concerns of a heart defect. With these concerns Amélie gets hardly any real life contact with other people. This leads Amélie to resort to her own fantastical world and dreams of love and beauty. She later on becomes a young woman and moves to the central part of Paris as a waitress. After finding a lost treasure belonging to the former occupant of her apartment, she decides to return it to him. After seeing his reaction and his new found perspective - she decides to devote her life to the people around her. Such as, her father who is obsessed with his garden-gnome, a failed writer, a hypochondriac, a man who stalks his ex girlfriends, the "ghost", a suppressed young soul, the love of her life and a man whose bones are as brittle as glass. But after consuming herself with these escapades - she finds out that she is disregarding her own life and damaging her quest for love.

Amélie is as good as you think and also it's a fantastic journey, this young woman chooses to help all the people around her, then she finds love. The first 15-20 minutes are epic and fast-paced funny, beautiful, empathetic, and sentimental, seriously if you hate this movie you should kill yourself, haha, just kidding. It is definitely one of the most sweet and charming romantic-comedies i've seen, and i give it a B+ rating because i don't want it to be overrated, it's a beautiful movie with lots of scenes and memorable moments, It's not predictable at all and also it's original. The sub-plots are interesting and all the characters are funny and likeable. All the scenes involving "the gnome" are hilarious, you'll see. This film is full of unexpected twists.

I dislike the cover, though it shows the funny and weird side of Amélie, i think that it's a bit boring, this film deserves a better poster. However, I like Amelie's character because she is introverted, just like me, but one day she decides to help the people around her, be more extroverted and all her life changes!. The development of all the characters is astonishing and also quite clever. It's a magnificent, well crafted love-story, with genuine performances and weird situations. It deserves all the awards and all the nominations. Amélie is a beautiful piece of work without any significant flaws and it's fast-paced hilarious. Also the end is unpredictable and also a bit stressful, because you want to see a scene happen and nothing happens, Aaaaahh!, it makes you feel anxious. Overall it's an unforgettable film with an enjoyable musical score, beautiful camera work and vibrant direction. [B+] Check out my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot Twitter: @MemoBosque
July 12, 2014
Fabulously beautiful, enchantingly musical. One of the best films of the
decade;
July 9, 2014
An absolute delight to watch. Whimsical and heartwarming. Teaches you to appreciate life and to take action. A cute film that sucks you in.
June 19, 2007
Amelie is the embodiment of whimsical charm.
July 3, 2014
Sweet, charming and highly entertaining. Speaks to the loneliness of so many today.
June 26, 2014
This is such a cute and funny French film. Audrey Tautou in this movie reminds me of the little girl from Zazie in the Metro, maybe it's the hair. I really liked how the film focused on three main colours, green, red and yellow. An interesting combination, it gives it a very distinct feel.
Dmitry Dmitriev
June 4, 2012
Has its unique atmosphere and gives warm feeling, but one could say it is a bit lengthy

Will totally recommend anyone to watch it, however not everybody would like it.
June 28, 2014
With sprightly performances and glorious cinematic style, this is a bauble of a movie. Dazzlingly imaginative. I saw this years ago, rewatched it recently. I had forgotten how delightful it is. And the gamine Audrey Tantou is enchanting on screen. For me, Jeunet is the French Wes Anderson.
Lucas A.
June 25, 2014
Amelie is fun, charming and simply pretty. The lovely story in this film bring us the magic of life and love, the mysterious life we are living and the simply things of life. With an amazing elements, Amelie is enchanting! A movie not only to think but also to delight and adventure. The film shows us how life is delightful to live and how love is beautiful. Romantic and eccentric at the same time, there is no one who does not wow with this masterpiece of romantic comedies.
June 25, 2014
I'm torn between my thoughts on this movie, as it seems to be with every film nowadays. I many times walk out of a movie thinking, "wow, that was great! it was so unique and it related to me and I will have to recommend it!" Which is what I thought on this one... but then I remembered the fact that they needlessly had to include (in my opinion) pointless sexual encounters. This movie could have been a lot more special if they avoided the intrusion of all that. Those factors will now prevent me from recommending this otherwise brilliant movie.
June 23, 2014
Sadly "Amelie" annoyed me. I couldn't stand the offbeat colors and pointless two-hour detail for a small and cute outcome.
June 22, 2014
What a delightful and quirky fun little French film.