American Bully (Anytown) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Bully (Anytown) Reviews

½ November 22, 2011
Apparently, shock value and hot button topics are all you need to get into festivals and win awards. This film is a discrace to the art of acting and the art of storytelling. I am almost disgusted enough to write to the directors of the festivals in which it received "awards" and demand an explanation. This could have been a thought provoking examination of intolerance and hatred. Instead it was a one-hour and thirty-minute waste of time.
April 1, 2012
Not a terrible film, but not nearly the thought-provoking examination of society it seems intended to be.
February 13, 2014
While it does at times appear to be nothing more than a catharsis for xenophobes, it presents an interesting premise regarding the corruption of young minds, but ultimately fails to build upon that exploration.
January 22, 2013
Not quite sure why viewers are so taken back by this film. As a mid-westerner I was a bit offended at how I saw these small town kids portrayed but, sadly it was pretty accurate. The film is chilling to its core. The filmmaking is great and the actors seemed fully committed to the material. American Bully is a study of how a teens political and social views can easily by influenced and how these views can motivate a cruel and hateful thought process which can perpetuate a hate crime. This film was brave and well done contrary to other reviews. It's not "Schindler's List" but, it's a well done independent and I'm surprised that Hollywood hasn't supported it. This should have been a festival hit. Oh well, maybe next time.
August 14, 2012
I concur with Michael Karelis. The story was predictable, the characters were flat with no arc. I knew what was coming next and it was extremely disappointing, this is poor, very poor film making. It was torturous to get through but I did and was left with a very bad taste in my mouth. This could have been provocative and challenging to the viewer instead it was a complete waste. How this won awards is beyond me.
November 22, 2011