American Gangster Reviews

August 1, 2015
Quite a disappointed since it is really as much as you expect, but nothing new.
Washington and Russell perform really well, so, as a characters movie, it works. It doesn't work at all as a biopic. Too much Hollywood on it.
August 1, 2015
Featuring a fantastic cast giving some of their finest performances, American Gangster is a entertainingly dramatic cop thriller. While it times it may seem to drag on, American Gangster maintains a high entertainment value based on the brilliance of its cast and director.
½ August 17, 2014
A grand, sweeping and well-written gangster film, the juxtaposition of Denzel's Frank Lucas and Crowe's Richie Roberts makes for an enthralling experience.
June 4, 2015
Loving gangster movies right now!
November 14, 2007
One of the best movies of 2007. Definitly, a must see!!! Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington give terrific performances.
½ May 9, 2015
Good one , maybe a bit to long ...Denzel cool , Crow a bit flat ! SOMDVD
April 30, 2015
From director Ridley Scott is a really interesting true story of Frank Lucas, great cast of actors.
May 23, 2010
The good in American Gangster is watered down by how overly long it is and how boring a lot of the movie is, especially for the first hour. Eventually, about half way through, the movie starts to pick itself up and becomes increasingly more exciting and entertaining.
March 21, 2015
I know I'm petty, and I accept that fact but this film seems like some sort of revenge for what happened at the Oscars in 2002. Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington star alongside each other once again after 'Virtuosity' but the roles have been reversed this time and what we get is a very enjoyable, watchable and well made film that plays to its strengths well. The cast of this film is outstanding and everyone gives it their all. Crowe and Washington grab our attention right from the start and really make everything all the more compelling. There was a scene near the end with Crowe holding a shotgun with the camera looking up at him and that just looked badass. There are two 100 score reviews on metacritic, Ebert says that Russell Crowe's contribution is enormous and Lumenick says that Denzel dazzles in his best on screen performances to date (which is something bold to say considering his filmography); so which is it guys? Haha. Josh Brolin did another great job in a year where he was in excellent films and it was nice to see Chiwetel Ejiofor in a different kind of role. Ruby Dee gets a special mention because of her Oscar nomination, which I do think is a bit over the top. I think the fact she hasn't been nominated before and the scene where she slapped Denzel is what got her the nomination as a sort of an apology for the past. Not to say she wasn't good, because she was, it's just that when I looked at the Oscar nominations this got a few years ago, it certainly was a surprise to see her name as opposed to either of the leads or the director, I do wish she was in the film a little more. And there are just so many other cameos by so many other people, it's just great to see who will pop up next, but I will say, seeing Idris Elba in that hat was a bit absurd, it seemed like the role was beneath him and we got Cuba back in a serious film again! Even if it is only for a little bit. How this film didn't win the SAG for Best Cast, I'll never know and Crowe was also in two in one year! The story of the film was good, even if it was predictable; I'm aware it is based off of a true story but that doesn't mean it will just transcend the predictable structure of the genre. Saying that, though, it is still thoroughly watchable and the way everything comes together at the end is hugely satisfying, it is also told from a different perspective and that adds a hell of a lot to it.

I also really like the attention to detail and the way the characters are developed, two stories are being told at once and when it cuts from one to the other, I was always so interested to see what would happen next, and again, the way everything comes together is so satisfying. Perhaps I shouldn't criticise the story though because I think everyone knows the 'bad guy' is going to have his rise, fall and eventual capture, even if it actually didn't have all that much of the 'fall'. The look of the film and everything that went into designing it is absolutely beautiful and it feels so authentic, you really feel like you've gone back in time, the Oscar nomination for Art Direction was deservedly earned and the soundtrack was great as well. A conversation about a microwave was just one of the nice little character moments that this film has plenty of, funnily enough I had a conversation with my father a couple days before watching this about when microwaves were first introduced and it was just a funny little coincidence. While Roberts was given quite a bit of background, which was good as it made his character deeper than he normally would have been in another film, I felt like I didn't know as much about Lucas, which is ironic, seeing as how what he does is the main focus of the film. Not to say he is poorly developed but I felt like it skimmed past quite a lot of his rise and didn't really give us much background on what was going on. It shows his initial beginnings and what happened with his family but then it seemed like it jumped quite a bit into the future. He also kept saying 'my man' and I thought it was going to transition into 'Training Day' at any moment, and it would seem oddly fitting as well. While the film is certainly a nice throwback to films of its type from years past whilst standing up on its own merits but I don't think it's the modern classic some are calling it.
February 20, 2015
Phenomenal gangster film based on a true story with great performances and directed excellently by one of my favorite directors, Ridley Scott. I recommend "American Gangster" to anyone looking for a good mobster film that is focused more on the storyline than pure violence. 7.8/10
January 31, 2015
Excellent movie Denzel is a beast
January 22, 2015
Ridley Scott movies truly require your full attention because if you miss something, then the film can be extremely difficult to watch (Exodus: Gods & Kings and The Counsellor) At first American Gangster is a bit confusing. Many characters to keep track of and it starts pretty slow. What helped me with this film is the amazing cast. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe are two of my favourite actors and they do great jobs in their roles. At about the half-way point, then the film starts to pick up and become very intriguing and intense. Worth a watch if you like films like American Hustle, Training Day or Scarface.
½ January 18, 2015
Al estilo de las mejores historias de gansters de Scorsese , Scott nos cuenta la suya , una narración excepcional de principio a fin que no tiene pierde.
½ October 15, 2013
Cinematography & Editing - 7.5
Soundtrack/Score & Set Design - 8
How much I enjoyed it personally - 8
January 5, 2015
Another Denzel classic... he completely owned this movie from start to finish.
Robbanflix
November 13, 2007
True story drama with 2 amazing actors , Denzel W and Russel Crowe. Story takes place in the 70s with gangsters / drugs and cops.. Well made with nice decent story and some violence which is a must in these type of movies :)
February 17, 2008
One of the more effective and vicious gangster films made in recent years, and certainly one of the most historically dodgy, AG runs on powerhouse acting from leads Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe and a smart script that weaves its story from opposite ends until they finally meet in a satisfying and crowd-pleasing fashion in the film's finale. This is arguably Ridley Scott's most underrated film.
June 23, 2010
American Gangster is a cat and mouse of slick gangsters and rough-edged cops. Portraying black gangsters from a different light, with different styles and sources, Denzel Washington carries the film well, with seemingly little effort. Crowe seems a little out of place or miscast, but does well enough in his portrayal of the incorruptible policeman. Ridley Scott, using these two actors' talents to showcase a well plotted out story, creates an entertaining film, worth its due. With a climax not paying off the great build-up, and the antagonist not coming to full potential, it can get frustrating, but as it's based on a true story, writing creativity is limited. Not as great as its other criminal counterparts, American Gangster is still very much a stand-alone good watch.
March 16, 2011
2007 was a great year for Denzel Washington with this and The Great Debaters. He really carries the film. Ridley Scott is hit or miss with me and I thought he did a good job with this
November 20, 2014
Ridley Scotts American Gangster is a brutal, stylish and thrilling film with outstanding performances by Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe.