American Graffiti Reviews

August 19, 2015
Althrough not as good as Dazed and Confused this is still an awesome and memorable film with a classic soundtrack about seniors and their lives
August 16, 2015
No female characters were included in the "what happened to them next" segment at the end of the film. Lucas, I hope you've evolved since then!
August 12, 2015
4.25. Not higher only because it's not my type of movie. It's been said that it's one of the best teen movies ever. Those critics aren't wrong.
August 12, 2015
A classic that you need to see !
August 9, 2015
Some classic actors when they were really young. How did Richard Dreyfuss age so much in the next few years.
July 17, 2015
A entertaining and heartfelt comedy-drama film, and one of George Lucas's best directed films, along with the first Star Wars movie.
August 20, 2007
That one time that George Lucas tried to work in the world of human beings on a recognizable 20th century Earth-realm, American Graffiti. It was better than I remembered. Consistently funny, tough but at times tender, and by switching between the four characters you get enough of each one every five minutes and can check on what's going on with the other. It's like four guys telling you what happened the next day - or ten years later, or 50 years later - but with a level of coherence that's deceptively simple.

Not every line or gag works wholly, but so many do and the performances are so charming and appealing that it's impossible to think that the same director would go on to the career he did. That soundtrack makes it a musical where the songs inform the action - the one time Lucas came close to being like his contemporary Scorsese - and they're all pretty much killer. Yes, even Surfin' Safari. And the way that it ends with the Beach Boys' after those final title cards on the characters makes it profound and bittersweet. In 12 hours you get a full life, or lives.

And we've been having fun all summer loooonnggg...

PS: Harrison Ford - dare I say as bad-ass as Han Solo with half the screen-time?
March 19, 2006
A great coming age story and great entertainment.
May 19, 2015
in love with the movie!!
½ May 19, 2015
George Lucas' film centred on four friends last night together before some head off to college. The picture has sufficient humour and characters who are very relatable. It's difficult not to compare this to a very similar movie which came out twenty years later, 'Dazed and Confused' with Linklater's film being superior in most aspects.
½ May 13, 2015
87% on my Tomatometer.
July 4, 2012
A fine, entertaining, nostalgic piece with a soon to be all star cast
January 10, 2012
The soundtrack was the best part and the performances were fine, but I just couldn't relate to the nostalgic elements. Still, a breakthrough film for George Lucas, Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, and Harrison Ford.
November 22, 2014
"You just can't stay seventeen forever."

While American Graffiti may be too old for me to relate to, this look back at the 60's is funny, flashy, and all together heartfelt.
½ February 1, 2015
classic movie coming of ages
½ July 24, 2014
Grade:High 7/10

American Graffiti is a 70's film set in the 60's that is actually quite
a funny and also fun adventure. With some greats of cinema so young
acting in this and a script and direction done by a known name, this
turns out to be well not in my opinion as good as people sometimes say
it is, but nevertheless is good. I thought going into it that maybe it
would be dull and just another teen comedy than runs out of jokes on
the first corner but this is different and maybe being set in the 60's
helped it out a bit. I thought it was a solidly good movie, and here
below is why.

The story is one that takes a little time to get into it, at first I
felt it was never going to start properly and just like the cars, was
going to stall fast. It does however get into a nicer flow of things
and the comedy also in the middle and end of the movie really flows as
well, it genuinely is funny stuff and should make people laugh if only
just a little. I liked the ending too, I won't ruin it but you actually
are interested in the characters involved and kind of want to see the
thing they want, to happen.

Richard Dreyfuss is the real star actor in this and his character Curt
is funny, clumsy yet weirdly rational among all the crazy youths
hanging around. Ron Howard is in it, back in the day when he acted and
he does OK too, he doesn't seem to have that much screen time which is
good as it isn't just focusing on one person in the story. The entire
cast are pretty solid and watch out for a pre Star Wars and Indiana
Jones Harrison Ford who even in a pretty minor role, still acts really
well in it.

George Lucas is the mastermind behind it all, directing and co writing
it he does a good job with it all, the script is probably one of if not
the best thing about the film with some great word choices and dialogue
that kind of draws you in. I enjoyed the set production of the movie,
for anyone who lived in these times it could be a massive nostalgic
trip back in time, especially if you enjoyed cruising down main street
and whistling at every girl you saw.

When it comes to criticism, one point for me stands out for me, and
that is the music of the film. Now I am not hating on 60's music but
the songs are played way too loud and they all sound exactly the same
and so for the first half of the movie, I was just annoyed at the music
choices. Sometimes I felt it also dragged off just a little bit so that
is wasn't that great but it doesn't swerve off the cinema road badly at
all.

Who to recommend this to?, well I think if I watched it back then I
would target youths but even now, the teenagers of today and college
students could still watch this and enjoy it all just as the kids of
the 70's did. If you enjoy them type of high school Comedy/Drama's then
this could really also be for your tastes, however it does feel
slightly different to usual ones seeing as it is set in the 60's, and
isn't actually all about taking drugs and meeting girls on the street
or at parties.

Overall I give this movie a high 7/10, it is Solidly a Good movie, some will
disagree and say it is great as I have seen many who do, but don't be
afraid to dislike parts of it or even not like the film as a whole. I
also will say that if you decide to watch this, try to be a bit chilled
out whilst doing so as the movie is fast yet slow at times and being
comfortable whilst watching it well, you may like the movie much more
if you do it that way.
½ January 25, 2015
"American Graffiti" is so deftly produced and written, I find it hard to believe George Lucas had anything to do with it.
½ January 14, 2015
Me gustó, se quedo un poco en el tiempo a mi gusto pero no deja de ser una buena película (aunque nada excepcional)
January 7, 2015
A final night on the town for a group of friends in small town America before heading off to college. Plenty of familiar faces here and I didn't even recognize Richard Dreyfuss until the ending credits. Works due to some pretty good character development.
January 6, 2015
This is a charming little film. Not quite an eternal masterpiece, but it has a special something. I particularly like the feeling of the era being portrayed here. The style of the 50s was quite something, and it feels authentic and perfectly immortalized by this movie. I don't think there was much about the overall story that I found super compelling. Nonetheless, this is a classic and worth watching once for me. I'm glad that I took the time.