American Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Heart Reviews

March 17, 2016
Some dead spots but Jeff Bridges was very good.
½ February 6, 2016
Ugly film with no redeeming values..
December 8, 2015
It seems that in most movies involving single parents, the mother is the single parent. American Heart gives us a different view on single parented America involving a father, a reckless one at that.
April 30, 2013
An ok movie. Edward Furlong was good, as usual...
April 29, 2013
One of them shows that i'd never seen before now and one i enjoyed alot.
March 16, 2013
It's slow moving, and the ending is another long winded death scene - but Jeff Bridges has shown he can thrive in any decade.
December 16, 2012
Sad story about a father and son down on their luck, the father only reluctantly trying to come to terms with being a father. While affecting and a good drama, the pace is very slow and the subject matter of the life amongst the lowest strata in Seattle very depressing. Not an enjoyable movie.
April 7, 2012
does anyone know the singer that was playing on the jukebox, when Jeff Bridges was dancing in the pool hall or bar ? I want to know so I can find some cd's of him.I think he was a black singer ."Some words were "If we were walking on a saterday night , everything would be alright .Can you respond to this here ?
½ March 21, 2012
Awesome underdog film with some killer performances from Jeff Bridges and Edward Furlong. Bridges plays an ex-con Jack who's estranged teenage son shows up the day he gets released, putting a strain on his plans to live a low key life and his attempts to keep clean when his boy starts getting mixed up with some street kids in the slummy neighborhood. Awesome story about family and redemption. Definite tearjerker
hunterjt13
November 13, 2011
An ex-con with dreams of starting a new life reunites with his son.
In 1993 it was impossible to view this as I see it now: Jeff Bridges was practicing for his role in Crazy Heart. Everything that is good about Bridges's Oscar-winning performance is in American Heart, the music, the quiet desperation, the emotional depths to which he sinks, and of course, the hair. Edward Furlong, whose voice seems untutored but natural, matches Bridges in intensity.
However, I thought that the story was predictable and the plot contrived. You know the ending as soon as you meet Rainey, and the film doesn't tell us anything new about troubled youth.
Overall, the highlights are the stars, who give emotional and committed performances.
½ October 2, 2011
A good father son movie starring Jeff Bridges and that kid from Terminator 2.
July 3, 2010
Edward Furlong is one of my favorite actors. Jeff Bridges is one of the top actors in Hollywood, and while not on my top 10 list, he's still a brilliant actor. So, American Heart should have been an awesome film! I knew from reading reviews, that it was gonna be strange, but while most people liked it, I did not! The story follows an ex-con trying to restart his life, and his estranged, runaway son, that he just can't get rid of. The background is great, but the film sucks, seriously all you see is these people going about their everyday business! Nothing really happens, you feel no connection to the characters whatsoever, and there is really no reason to care about what is happening!? Just go follow two random people on the street for a couple days and watch them go about their everyday life and you'll know what this awful film was like.
September 19, 2011
This beautiful film lives up perfectly to its title: it's got a great heart. It shows the street's reality in an excellent way, and above all with a lot of realism. Realism is perhaps the most remarkable aspect of this film. The characters feel real, they live in a world pictured with realism and helped by a fantastic script, the movie is simply fascinating. It's simple... yes, but it's an excellently made drama, with marvelous performances, specially Jeff Bridges who gave an Oscar-worthy performance but sadly the Academy forgot about him that year, besides the very little difusion this film had and still has. The deepness and intensity in the portrayal of the father-son relationship was one of the biggest accomplishments of this movie; and that aspect was probably the best I've seen in a film. I was lucky to catch it up on a cable channel and I was delighted with the quality of this little-but-great film. If I had to point out something not-so-good about it, it'd had to be the ending's resolution, which was a bit easy; but it doesn't take merit from the rest. Edward Furlong's performance is one of a kind too, and he is definitely one of the best if not the best young actor I've ever seen... but sadly we've all seen what his career has become in the past 12 years. Very moving.
September 19, 2011
August 21, 2011
Awesome performance by Jeff Bridges.
½ June 3, 2011
January 16, 2011
Socially realistic story of an ex con and his estranged son coming together again. Alright, not too impressive.
November 6, 2010
A film about ex-con Jack; alongside his bleak and almost unknown son, Nick, trying to get along with each other, and living together. The two gradually develop a bond with each other, though their relationship together may be distant for a lot of the time.
I thought this movie was pretty good. Very gritty, decent, and very interesting. Great setting, and an overall solid film. The Tom Waits soundtrack at times, was awesome as well.