Movies Like American Movie

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

American Movie Reviews

August 14, 2014
Hilarious documentary that showcases real passion and a wonderful message.
Dave J
July 22, 2014
Tuesday, July 22, 2014

(1999) American Movie
DOCUMENTARY

This is my second or third viewing of optimistic horror filmmaker Mark Borchardt with documentary filmmaker, Chris Smith documents some of Mark's tribulations regarding directing low budget horror films who was inspired by the likes of Tobe Hooper of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" fame and George A Romero of "Night Of The Living Dead" and Dawn Of the Dead. Putting a lot of time and money into a movie called "Coven" as well as using family and friends. The most engaging character is Mark's uncle, Bill Borchardt.

3 out of 4 stars
July 20, 2014
a bizarrely inspiring tale that at once becomes a ragtag success story as juxtaposed against the harsh realities of blue-collar life, borchardt is framed as a quasi-tragic figure but with a unique personality, authentically quirky
June 15, 2013
Is that what you wanna do with your life? Suck down peppermint schnapps and try to call Morocco at two in the morning? That's senseless!
June 9, 2014
Very slow moving but very funny and kind of gripping. Although this is a documentary and you know they aren't, you can't help but wonder if the best showcased are characters. Haha.
filmlover1994
April 30, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
April 30, 2011
Funny, entertaining and inspiring to aspiring film makers.
February 19, 2014
Anyone who wants to pursue a career in film should watch this movie. Mark Borchardt's passion and enthusiasm is very inspiring and reminds everyone that big budgets, fancy visuals, and famous actors do not make a film, but it's all about getting out there with a camera and creating something with everything you've got. I can't help but feel bad because Mark wants this so much more than most other people yet he hasn't made it to the big time, but he keeps on going, not giving up that dream and that's what makes this such a beautiful film.
October 17, 2013
A funny, touching, and tragic tale of an alcoholic film maker trying to live out the, "American Dream," a very honest and sincere film, great stuff
October 22, 2013
Mark Borchardt embodies the indie filmmaker all of us -- myself included -- want to be. Chris Smith's filmmaking communicates a lighter aura around the Wisconsin town where Borchardt lives and makes his films.

I want to get "Coven" now -- I heard the VHS sells online for ten dollars.
October 19, 2013
Raw, real, funny, sad, and absolutely compelling documentary about a poor, lower-class, fairly intelligent and highly creative, American dude who is absolutely driven to achieve the American dream through film making. An expertly crafted documentary that seems to weave in a number of social issues just by letting the subject and his friends and family speak for themselves as he tries to get a film completed, only so he can make enough money off it's DVD sales in order to start the more important film he really wants to be making at this point in his life. Fascinating stuff.
August 19, 2013
A truly inspiring movie.
July 24, 2012
filmed in Wisconsin? Makes me want to see it even more!
August 6, 2013
One of the most entertaining documentaries ever.
July 25, 2013
a documentary about independent movie-making, the filmmaking process in general, and yeah, about the pursuit of the american dream, taking place in the heart of america--these loosely populated pockets of suburbs the rest of the country forgot. the movie's hilarious, honest, and even genuinely inspiring in its own roundabout, special way despite a tone of hopeless futility
July 24, 2013
Funniest documentary I have ever seen!
January 27, 2013
A fantastic documentation of the many struggles and setbacks that come with making a film, especially one in the horror genre.
June 15, 2013
A really funny documentary about a horror fanatic trying to make an independent low budget horror flick on a shoe string budget. The scene where they are filming... in the kitchen nearly killed me comedy gold. Mike Schank is priceless as Borchardt's stoner side kick, I still find it hard to believe that this is not a mockumentary.
May 1, 2013
This is the funniest non-fiction film ever. The juxtaposition and honesty of this film is unparalleled and the dedication by the film makers of this documentary really display a wonderful Midwestern work ethic. This is a great movie about making movies. Among the best.
December 17, 2011
A wonderful documentary showcasing the wacky antics of a film-geek turned director