Trailer Bulletin: American Dreamz

From Paul Weitz, the director of "American Pie," "About a Boy," and "In Good Company," comes the slick-looking satire known as "American Dreamz," which seems to star Dennis Quaid as George Bush, Hugh Grant as Simon Cowell, and Mandy Moore as Kelly Clarkson. Anyway, the trailer's pretty great, and I recommend you check it out right here.

"On the morning of his re-election, the President decides to read the newspaper for the first time in four years. This starts him down a slippery slope. He begins reading obsessively, reexamining his black and white view of the world, holing up in his bedroom in his pajamas. Frightened by the President?s apparent nervous breakdown, his Chief of Staff pushes him back into the spotlight, booking him as a guest judge on the television ratings juggernaut (and the President?s personal fave), the weekly talent show American Dreamz. America can?t seem to get enough of American Dreamz, hosted by self-aggrandizing, self-loathing Martin Tweed, ever on the lookout for the next insta-celebrity. His latest crop of hopefuls includes Sally, a conniving steel magnolia with a devoted, dopey veteran boyfriend, and Omer, a recent Southern Californian immigrant (who just happens to be a bumbling, show tune singing, would-be terrorist awaiting activation). When both Sally and Omer make it to the final round of Dreamz?where the President will be judging along with Tweed?the stage is set for a show the nation will never forget."

Universal will unleash the "Dreamz" on April 14th. Starring alongside Quaid, Grant, and Moore will be Willem Dafoe, Judy Greer, Marcia Gay Harden, Chris Klein, and Shohreh Aghdashloo. (And I've got a big red circle around this flick all of a sudden.)

Comments

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

I have been looking forward to this ever since Weitz and this great cast got attached. I hope it's a good story and not just politicaly iratating though.

Dec 16 - 02:09 PM

Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

After "About a Boy" and the stunningly underrated "In Good Company," Mr. Weitz is more than reliable in my book. (I can only assume "Down to Earth" helped pay for a new house.) ;) With hindsight, I choose to credit Weitz with the surprising amount of warmth found in the original "American Pie." The sequels are pretty funny, but the first flick actually has some heart.

How long before Paul Weitz starts being discussed in the same breath as Wes Anderson and/or PTA? The guy makes smart, entertaining flicks full of real character. I dig his style, and I cannot wait to see AD.

Dec 16 - 07:39 PM

Koooomar

Bobby Jubraj

I completly agree with you. I think weitz is probably the most under rated director out there for these genres of films. This movie is a definate must see on my list for next year.

Dec 17 - 06:22 AM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Oh yea, I love Weitz and agree with everything you had to say about his films. Hopefully he does start getting more recignition.

Dec 17 - 12:32 PM

Koooomar

Bobby Jubraj

Dec 17 - 06:22 AM

Functionally Godarded

Joe H

[b]YES![/b]
Paul Weitz, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid, this great storyline. I've been waiting for this for... forever! YES! Great trailer.

Dec 17 - 07:50 AM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Dec 17 - 12:32 PM

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

I like wietz but this looked pretty bad I thought everyone in this trailer was mimicing someone famous: Bush, Cheney, Simon Cowell, Carrie Underwood and Osama Bin Laden and not in a delightful SNL sort of way either. Plus I thought the plot was horrendous come on couldn't the terrorist be like a michael moore journalist the white house is trying to hunt down for being unamerican now that would be a fun plot

Dec 18 - 02:10 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>