An American Tail (1986)
Average Rating: 6.3/10
Reviews Counted: 25
Fresh: 17 | Rotten: 8
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.5/10
Critic Reviews: 7
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 256,237
An American Tail is a beautifully rendered animated flim that tells an overly familiar story in terms children can easily understand. Fievel Mousekewitz and his family of Russian-Jewish mice escape from their homeland in the late 1800s, boarding a boat headed toward America to evade the Czarist rule of the Russian cats. Fievel, however, is separated from his family upon his arrival in New York City, and he discovers to his horror that there are cats in America too (his father said there
Nov 21, 1986 Wide
Jan 20, 2004
Watch It Now
Warren T. Rat
Gussie Mausheimer vo...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Cartoons with ambitions even this noble are as rare as Steven Spielberg films that lose money, but every character and every situation presented herein have been seen a thousand times before.
The overall quality of the animation -- baroquely executed if rather conventionally conceived -- makes it worth a look
For all its state-of-the-art animation techniques, Spielberg's production remains resolutely conservative: visually it's virtually indistinguishable from Walt at his wimpiest.
It may be that the truly American tale here is the spectacle of an artist squandering his awesome gifts on the way to becoming a Hollywood institution.
Its sappiness is unmissably sincere, and such aching, embarrassing sincerity is never an evil thing in a movie.
There's nothing particularly special about An American Tail, save for Bluth's slick animation.
Like other Spielberg-produced features, this one pays homage to old movie traditions (live-action Westerns) and icons, but the film has been made mechanically.
Can't resist any film with singing mice. Truly Bluth's best film.
Ethnic mice plus fascist cats in groundbreaking animation.
I liked it as a kid, and have liked it less and less every year since.
No Mickey, but a nice mouse.
A light and charming little animated adventure.
Audience Reviews for An American Tail
Movies Like An American Tail
- Henri: Qu'est-ce que c'est? A little immigrant. Now they are coming by bottle.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Henri, what's that over there?
- Henri: Oh, that is more America.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Can we go see it?
- Henri: You will, my little American. Someday, you will.
- Gussie Mausheimer voise of: We have a plan. E Pralabus Unim.
- Papa Mousekewitz: And for you, Fievel, a new hat. And not just any new hat. A new hat that has been in the family for three generations. It belonged to me, my father, and my father's father, and now it belongs to you. Happy Hannukah.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: It's too big.
- Papa Mousekewitz: You'll grow.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Never say never, Papa!
Discuss An American Tail on our Movie forum!