20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

American Zombie Reviews

July 1, 2013
A really well done mocumentary about the plight of zombies in America. If World War Z moved to fast for you, this is a nice change of pace. Zombies. They're here. They're dead. Get used to it. Love it.
January 24, 2013
While it is rather slow, if American Zombie was taken in any other direction it would have lost everything that made it special. Lee made a spectacular movie that achieves so much in it's 91 minute span that it is hard to categorize as one specific genre of movie. While technically, it is a mockumentary/horror, it makes you feel real-life emotion more than your average, run-of-the-mill, drama. Every scene just builds and builds to the peak so when the movie finally reaches it's climax, you've been completely immersed in this different realm that feels so real it has you reaching for your survival guide.
December 23, 2012
I thought it was impossible for a zombie movie to be incredibly boring, but this movie proved me wrong.
October 6, 2012
This ended up being dumber than I expected. It has some funny quotes though.
Sandman1968
September 30, 2012
The idea had to seem like a "can't miss" project on paper. Zombie movies and mockumentaries are two crowded sub-genres that are definitely ripe for satire, and "American Zombie" attempts to skewer both at once. Unfortunately, mostly due to some sub-par writing and maddening shifts in tones, the end result is a colossal failure on almost every level.

There are some clever ideas here early on, but the film is clunky and unwieldy it's hard to find any of it funny. And for every clever idea, there seem to be a dozen that are left unrealized. That makes for a very frustrating film. and equally baffling are the shifts in tone, especially when it appears that a good chunk of this is supposed to be taken seriously.

The final half hour enters "Blair Witch Project" territory, when this apparently becomes a horror film all of a sudden. It's not successful, but it's also true that it's the first time during the course of this cumbersome picture that my interest was sparked. By that time, however, this was too far gone to be salvaged.

The film crew, including this project's actual director, could not be duller. In fact, there's only one interesting character in the entire film, an Asian actress by the name of Suzy Nakamura. Her character comes across as kind of a living dead Bridget Jones, and at times you either like her or feel sorry for her. The film was obviously meant to be a social satire, with the zombie community representing other minorities such as homosexuals, but this isn't nearly clever enough to pull that off. "District 9" did it, but "American Zombie" clearly is that in that same league. This rates high on potential, but it's not so strong with the follow through.
September 26, 2012
Clever and inventive. A unique and at times shocking take on the zombie genre.
September 2, 2012
A satirical zombie film that for the most part succeeds mainly due to the fact that it feels real. In other words if zombies were real I could see me watching this "documentary" on A&E.
Where it fails is that it takes too long to get to the "punchline" and when you do it's not really surprising and winds up leaving you cold.
Still a worthwhile effort and certainly more enjoyable (and believable) than it's pseudo-documentary counterparts like The Blair Witch Project and Diary of the Dead just without all the headache-inducing camerawork and gimmicky feel.
June 9, 2012
Documentary style zombie movie. It is funny and it's interesting.
May 18, 2012
Participating in the recent trend of zombie texts that imagine zombies coming back not as flesheaters but regular members of society (see Handling the Undead and They Came Back), American Zombie is an intelligent, satirical mockumentary that cleverly plays with the genre in order to create a satire of our media culture. Funny, intelligent, and a bit creepy, American Zombie plays with a now rather tired genre in original and entertaining ways.
December 16, 2011
I find mockumentaries to be very entertaining for what they are, and this is a pretty good one. It's a very creative twist on the typical zombie movie and it doesn't need to be over-the-top bloody and full of special effects to be good. I don't think this is something I could watch again and again, but it's pretty entertaining and definitely worth a watch.
August 8, 2011
Not a bad flick from director Grace Lee. Her experience in the documentary form shows throughout, especially during particular jibes at the modes of documentary. However this is only going to be humorous to a very small amount of the people who will actually see it. Despite being funny in parts it's failure to let the massive amount of build-up actually pay-off will make this film a profound waste of time for the more discerning movie goer.
February 27, 2011
Two documentary filmmakers follow a group of zombies as they go about their daily lives dealing with work, roommates, and their decaying bodies. There's even a advocacy group chanting, "We're here, we're dead, get used to it." It's a very clever spin on the modern zombie film, until all the characters head out for Live Dead, an annual zombies-only festival. The film crew gets special permission to film until the last night when they are told to leave but sneak back and capture some disturbing footage. Looks like those zombies were up to something, after all, something we've seen hundreds of times before. Too bad about John.
January 23, 2011
A bland and predictable mockumentary with a great premise but poor execution.
November 27, 2010
Loved it especially the ending.
redbushido
October 11, 2010
blech...imagine M. Night and Ed Wood had a child and that child grew up to make this movie...
Brody M

August 4, 2010
I was really expecting to like this mockumentary & at 1st I did but after awhile it just went from good to boring.American Zombie was a good idea & had a couple good parts here & there but it didnt have enough to keep my interest
September 20, 2010
I thought this film was super fun! I love zombies! Thank you for making me smile
September 18, 2010
I fucked Austin to this movie.
TheBogMan1031
July 8, 2010
Some interesting ideas, but no real cohesiveness or point.