90% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

October 12, 2011
Nothing but reverse racism. But thats ok in America Right? Half a star
John B

July 15, 2007
Acceptable slight waste of time starring Samuel Jackson and Nicolas Cage in far from their greatest roles.
April 3, 2012
Remember when Nicholas Cage actually looked like he was having fun shooting a movie? Amos & Andrew is Cage at a young age still enjoying his craft (that isn't to say he is a poor actor or that his current movies are bad rather he has lost that joy that permeates through him from his younger days). The movie is a bit thin and never comes close to using its full comedic potential but still makes for a good time waster. Jackson is a bit miscast, or perhaps he just wasn't allowed to play his character the way he could and should have.
January 3, 2012
I finally gave this a peep courtesy of a Big Lots run, and I was fairly amused with it. Mistaken identity and casual racism and profiling leads to a comedy of errors that gets further and further out of hand.

Plus I always like a random appearance of Bob Balaban or Brad Dourif.

Worth a rental.
tmannamt
July 9, 2011
It's fun seeing Cage and Jackson together in a movie together, but with that combo you'll expect this to be a bit more outrageous and entertaining than this film was. It's a light movie and it means well, but with most of the humor being silly and even dull at times: groundbreaking this movie's not. With all honesty, the best part of the movie was it's end credits, Sir Mix A Lot has made a great song specifically for this movie called "Suburbian Nightmare" and if you listen to it, it'll tell you everything that happens in the movie LOL no joke, you should Youtube it ;)
March 11, 2011
By far nicholas cages' best movie, gold tooth and all. It joked about a successful black man moving into a white neighborhood and being mistaken as a burgular. Very funny.
scobod22
July 19, 2007
I havent seen this film in many years, I liked it back then although what i can remember is quite cheesy.
fordmarkII
June 29, 2014
Only a waste of time.
Allen G.
February 19, 2013
There's bound to be tons of films just like this one and they don't stand out because they don't deserve to, some of them seem to go against the very fabric of good film making. This is better than that though and that's because of two things- Nicolas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson, two very vibrant and unique acting talents coming together to make a very typical film a respectable piece of work.
It's a comedy and I laughed plenty of times, judging by the reviews, most people didn't and fair enough, it doesn't take much to make me laugh. All I ask is that you are genuinely trying. I find most modern comedies deeply unfunny and grounded in an artificial comedy that wants to create the illusion of comedy as opposed to any real comedy. Films like this though have a charm to them that make them feel genuine- a genuine Holywood cash-cow of course, but "real" in that sense nonetheless.

It's not exactly PC here, Samuel L. Jackson rarely appears in something that doesn't somehow feel like he isn't doing his race any favours when it comes to the comedy content- Much of this story comes from a community assuming Jackson's character is a burglar because he is black and he is inside a house. It's really that ridiculous but it's a mockery in this case- call it reverse-racism as one reviewer does but I don't see that at all personally, it mocks the attitudes of the white community in the film but I don't see any evidence that suggests that the, quite mad, community is supposed to represent the wider white one. It's no different than any other slapstick comedy setting- there's an air of ignorance specifically so it can be mocked. In this case the ignorance is based around racial attitudes and I don't see an issue with this. The black characters portrayed tend to be overly-suspicious and seem fearful of a constant threat- there's ignorance from all angles here and it's all intentional- it's a comedy with stupid humour and a stupid tone.

Call me stupid (and many do) but I like that humour and I liked that tone. I liked this film.
Sandman1968
May 16, 2013
In order for a comedy to be offensive in an attempt at making a social commentary and be successful in that attempt, it has to be pretty clever. "Amos and Andrew" tries and fails miserably as it's just plain offensive.

The opening moments that set up the premise leaves a bad taste in your mouth right from the start, and although there are a few moments when the film almost recovers from that, it never quite happens. In order to pull this idea off, the screenplay would have to be a lot smarter than this. I understood the points it was trying to make, but writer/director E. Max Frye's film is too conventional to achieve such lofty goals.

The problem there is that even as a simple comedy it fails primarily because it's just not funny. Frye throws in a lot of extraneous characters and subplots in a vain attempt to give the picture the feel of a madcap comedy, but it only clutters things up. The nosy white neighbors, crazy reporters, bloodhound hunters and black protesters don't really add anything to the proceedings. If anything, they take away from what could have been a thought provoking central idea in the right hands.

The only thing that does work is a funny supporting performance by Bob Balaban as a hostage negotiator blathering on about his own childhood oblivious to what's going on around him. And speaking of performances here, Samuel L. Jackson sometimes seems to forget what movie he's in. He delivers a fine speech about his dead father that would have been great in a better movie, but fits in nowhere during "Amos and Andrew". It shoots for the stars and comes up embarrassingly short.
April 16, 2013
Though the acting ranges from good to great, the script is all over the place, the pacing is unbearably slow, the editing is terrible and the film features some incredibly offensive racial stereotypes.
March 31, 2013
I thought this was a cute little film. A simple story told with care. I do feel that the smaller scope of the film was not in it's favor. Seeing that the story was just going to happen and that nothing ever built to it. I thought it'd be a serious of bad events. Even so, as it is, the beginning is slow but it begins to build moment when Amos comes onto the scene. As the story progresses though, the characters work well with each other, the main characters especially- which was kinda the point. The humor was good in parts. I did laugh frequently and rather loud at some points. Cage came out of character at one point. When he talks about the sea monkeys, it actually seems like it's Nicolas Cage being genuine about it, like, it happened to him in the past. It's not a film breaker but I noticed it. In other parts he plays Amos rather convincingly and plays him very well.

There is just something I really like about it. I like how the story unfolded and something that annoyed me finally got addressed between the characters and I like how Amos and Andy got a relationship going while also conveying a pretty important message about racism across without hurting either side. It's the second film about racism with Jackson and I still think it's an issue because it is. I'm not racist. We should leave each other alone if we have nothing nice to say.
filmlover1994
November 17, 2012
Nicolas Cage And Samuel L. Jackson Are Two Of My Favorite Film Actors.
filmhipster.com
May 24, 2012
A half decent comedy with plenty of nonsensical filler lumped in...no worse than any other Cage or Jackson film.
The Critic
April 6, 2012
This satire on racism may not be very funny, but is still an entertaining venture with great performances from Nicolas Cage, Samuel L. Jackson and Dabney Coleman.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
January 9, 2012
Amos & Andrew
Starring Nicholas Cage & Samuel L. Jackson

Although it maybe whacky movie but let's get on a bumpy ride that this film offers to us. Samuel L. Jackson was given less dialogues in the film, it was all the work of Cage, who was picking up the film with his one of funny characters since Coen Brothers' Raising Arizona. There were many humor-filled scenes, and in terms of looking at this film as comedy, I guess it won't disappoint you, as much as critics on main-page of the film do.
Luke W.
June 28, 2011
While not a classic in any sense, this film raises some interesting points about race and is an amusing diversion if you're looking for one.
April 17, 2011
This movie is incredible. Nic Cage is SO sexy. I love him.
Aaron B.
January 30, 2011
Nic Cage and Sam Jackson how could you not like it
January 18, 2011
No words can or will ever describe this movie...........