100% John Wick Oct 24

Average Rating: 8.7/10
Reviews Counted: 194
Fresh: 181
Rotten: 13

Critics Consensus: With towering performances and an unflinching script from Michael Haneke, Amour represents an honest, heartwrenching depiction of deep love and responsibility.

Average Rating: 9.4/10
Reviews Counted: 53
Fresh: 51
Rotten: 2

AUDIENCE SCORE

Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 19,489

Movie Info

Georges and Anne are in their eighties. They are cultivated, retired music teachers. Their daughter, who is also a musician, lives abroad with her family. One day, Anne has an attack. The couple's bond of love is severely tested. -- (C) Official Site

Rating:
PG-13 (for mature thematic material including a disturbing act, and for brief language)
Genre:
$6.7M
Runtime:
Sony Pictures Classics - Official Site

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for Amour

All Critics (194) | Top Critics (53) | Fresh (181) | Rotten (13) | DVD (2)

This is realism that enlarges our conception of the term.

Full Review… | June 17, 2013
The New Republic
Top Critic

Now at the end of the year comes a masterpiece, not just the best of the year, but one of the best ever: Michael Haneke's Amour.

Full Review… | June 13, 2013
The New Republic
Top Critic

Trintignant perfectly captures the resolve that eventually borders on obsession, as the woman he loves gradually, maddeningly, disappears before his eyes, and he does whatever he can to prevent it, though he knows it's impossible.

Arizona Republic
Top Critic

Many viewers will find echoes of their grandparents, parents, or even themselves in these characters.

ReelViews
Top Critic

A movie that is utterly worthy of its all-encompassing title.

Washington Post
Top Critic

The resulting interplay of ruthless restraint and unavoidable passion, plus the film's refusal to shrink from depicting the inevitable horrors of physical deterioration, is devastating.

Los Angeles Times
Top Critic

Amour is a brutally difficult viewing experience, but it's in no way a film you'll desire -- or be able -- to forget.

Full Review… | August 17, 2014
Under the Radar

The performances of Riva and Trintignant are revelatory.

Full Review… | June 27, 2014
Windy City Times

We wake from the best movies as witnesses; we feel the truth of what we have seen and heard, and though we know it's only a movie - just as we know in lucid dreams that we're actually asleep - we cannot help but feel changed by what we have seen.

Full Review… | May 26, 2014
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

a profoundly humane and deeply challenging depiction of the emotional and physical ravages of old age

Full Review… | August 22, 2013
Q Network Film Desk

Amour is a lesser work from Michael Haneke that features brilliant performances from Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva, but is held back by a simplistic narrative.

Full Review… | August 22, 2013
We Got This Covered

Compelling and incredibly heartbreaking...

Full Review… | August 20, 2013
Cinema Crazed

a stunning work from a man more capable of provocation than actual insight.

Full Review… | August 17, 2013
Film Racket

Michael Haneke gives us an unflinching look at love in the twilight years, placing a lot on the shoulders of two stars who come through like the veterans they are.

Full Review… | August 4, 2013
Movie Metropolis

Unnerving in its own way - heartfelt and tender, but with an undercurrent of foreboding.

Full Review… | July 13, 2013
EricDSnider.com

It leaves you spent, depressed and intensely afraid of the future. In some ways that's admirable, but like our fallible bodies, it gets old - fast.

Full Review… | May 13, 2013
The Patriot Ledger

Haneke has created a gift for both audiences and the two legendary actors cast in the lead roles.

Full Review… | April 21, 2013

In a film that's so explicitly cathartic for the filmmaker, there's a whole lotta catharsis withheld for the audience.

Full Review… | March 18, 2013
Movies With Butter

While [director Michael] Haneke's love of long takes invite you to stare into the corrugated faces of Georges and Anne as their worlds change, there is a leaden quality to many stretches of the film that assume a profundity that simply isn't there.

Full Review… | March 17, 2013

Powerful piece of cinema that forces us to confront death and something even worse; the prospect of outliving the love of one's life

The Popcorn Junkie

This beautifully-handled, deeply devastating work is all about the most human issue of all: we're all headed for the scrap-heap.

Full Review… | February 28, 2013

Movingly acted and extremely harrowing.

Flicks.co.nz

Rarely has this subject matter been depicted so realistically, so honestly. You always know where the story is heading but it's still tough to watch.

Full Review… | February 25, 2013
ABC Radio Brisbane

The scenario is upsetting, but the execution is genuine and pure, making Amour a film of heartbreaking beauty and Haneke's masterpiece.

Full Review… | February 24, 2013
Cinema Autopsy

Audience Reviews for Amour

½

Good lord....the pace of this movie was excruciating!! I get that it was emotional, moving, and the entire idea very heartfelt. HOWEVER, it was sooooo long, and soooooo slow. I couldn't take it. After the first 40 min, I ended up watching the rest on slow fast forward. Oh you French movie lovers! How do you sit through these?? sigh...

itsjustme2004
Cynthia S.

½

I've long thought it would be nice to see an older couple in a modern love story, surely a couple that have lived and loved together is even more romantic than a couple who meet for the first time. Thankfully one of the best directors in the world thought so too. The idea is sound but is difficult to like, it is heartbreaking but the turn of events are very real. Without wanting to spoil the ending, everything that is done in this film is out of love. Meeting a girl for the first time, buying her flowers etc is not love, bathing your frail wife of 40 years because she has just wet herself is love. Both my grandparents moved in with me when they were in their final years and I had to do things most grandsons don't, I did it out of love. That said, I had reason to love my grandparents, they were lovable. I know many people who put parents in homes, often because they can't look after them but also because they don't love them. My point, and criticism of this film is that the couple in question never came across as people I could care for, ill or old. The acting from the great Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva is second to none but I think the overall film and the conclusion would have been far more effective had they have been nice characters. That said, I'm well aware of how people can change when they loose all Independence. Maybe I liked the film but just wanted Mike Leigh to direct, I don't know, but I do think Michael Haneke has relied on his previous success a little and hasn't polished this production as well as he could have.

SirPant
Anthony Lawrie

½

An intimate, delicate portrayal of an older couple and how the wife (Emmanuelle Riva) begins to fail in health, and how her husband (Jean-Louis Trinitgnant) struggles to keep up with her many needs and she slips further into depression and poor health. Director Michael Haneke has acquired the reputation of a director who is not afraid to pull out tricks out of his sleeve, and he does so here at one big moment, but ultimately this is a mostly straightforward, realistic look at getting older and the slippery slope keeping in good health becomes over time. It is a sad, somber, pretty slow-moving story, but one that needs to be in order to get the message across correctly. The twist that occurs is definitely unsettling, but also one that is not predictable at all given the nature of the story. It is a hard-hitting look at love and seeing someone die in front of you in a quick, alarming way, but it is all handled phenomenally well by a master behind the camera in Haneke.

Dan Schultz
Dan Schultz

½

It's difficult not to love "Amour".

Full review at themoviefreakblog.com

spielberg00
Alexander Diminiano

Amour Quotes

Anne:
It's beautiful. Life. Long.
– Submitted by Frances H (10 months ago)
Anne:
You don't have to hold my hand all the time. I can take care of myself, you know.
– Submitted by Frances H (10 months ago)
Georges:
Things will go on as they have done up until now. They'll go from bad to worse. Things will go on, and then one day it will all be over.
– Submitted by Ahsan H (22 months ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss Amour on our Movie forum!