Amour

Amour

93%

AMOUR

I can't believe Kelly Vance's review of this film. What was he watching? This film is anything but bitter. It's a tough subject but it's treated with honesty, love and compassion.
George Picardi
01-20-2013 12:40 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Luis Enamo

Luis Enamo

Horrible movie, and from my experience in these situations, I will try my best to commit suicide long before I become that burdensome to my family.

I rented it from the name and thought it would help me deal with caring for an elderly relative. It only made things worse.

Sep 6 - 01:05 AM

Savita Brandt

Savita Brandt

Both doors to the bedroom were taped, as you see in the beginning when the police break in. Presumably it was to keep the smell out for as long as possible. What became of him? We don't know, can only guess. But the daughter clearly comes back to the flat after both are gone. By that time the front door would have been repaired.
What an exquisite film. Quite apart from the flawless acting and wonderful script, and the director's fearless attention to each painful detail, I loved the absolutely still camera shots taken from strategic angles (such a great relief from the current trend to move the camera as often as possible!). And that sense of deepening intimacy with the couple, as if one were living with them in their flat ? you can see every book, every stain on the wall. You can almost smell the rooms.
A work of genius!

Mar 12 - 01:01 PM

Sharon Kessinger

Sharon Kessinger

Why do you think he tapes around the doors? Also, when the firemen break in, doesn't one of them say that windows in one of the rooms were left open? Why?

Feb 18 - 09:54 AM

aferrigan

Angela Ferrigan

I had a lot of unanswered questions at the end too. I don't know why he taped around the doors? Why did the daughter have a key at the end...she didn't have one earlier when she came to visit. Also, once she came in, why didn't she yell for her father? Instead she went and sat quietly in the study. There are several things that don't make sense...like why so many people think this movie is so great.

Feb 18 - 12:35 PM

Amanda Gilmore

Amanda Gilmore

What I got from the ending of the film was that he killed himself. When Eva walks in at the end of the film she has the key because she is the daughter, I believe they both died and that is why you see them both at the end leaving the house together, happy. The window was open because he jumped out the window and killed himself. He could not live without her because he loved her so much, but he could not live and see her getting sicker and sicker when he knew she did not want to live through her illness. He juped out the window to kill himself which is why the window was open.
When Eva comes to the apartment at the end, there were two entry ways into the room that her mother was lying dead ont he bed in, that is shown at the end when you see the door that is broken down, then she walks in the room and walks through another door into what looks like a hallway that leads to many other rooms. I believe Georges taped up the one door because that was the one that people usually used, and the one that is shown when you first walk in the main door, then killed himself after giving his wife a funeral, consisting of himself.
I MIGHT BE WRONG. but that is what I thought of it!

Mar 2 - 02:33 PM

James G.

James Gray

Great performances. Tough to watch at times, but very real, a very heroic.

Feb 16 - 08:22 PM

Judy Daugherty

Judy Daugherty

Do Europeans really force feed nursing home residents. If I refuse to eat,let me die. It may be the only thing I can still control.

Feb 16 - 07:24 AM

Madlyn Staffanell

Madlyn Staffanell

I think nursing homes in the U.S.A. force feed patients who refuse to eat -- pretty sure of that. I worked in a Psych. hospital & patients who refused to eat were force fed. Remember, mercy killings are illegal here, so a mercy killing of yourself would not be allowed.

Aug 26 - 07:07 PM

aferrigan

Angela Ferrigan

Yes, it's a tough subject and yet the only reason the movie was difficult to watch is because it was so painfully boring. I was wishing someone would smother me with a pillow 30 minutes into it.

Feb 15 - 12:43 PM

Hreinsdóttir Eva

Hreinsdóttir Eva

It is real, it is a problem in the whole world. Even where abortions are allowed, assisted death is out of the question openly, although there may be cases where doctors help discreetly. Homes for the elderly in Europe at least are partly filled with people who can not help themselves and if their brain works, are embarrassed by the treatment they get, like they are babies or dolls at best. Cruelty to old people or invalids in homes or institutions is a fact almost everywhere. There should be a document for everyone to sign if they are mentally healthy and grown up (over 50 perhaps) where they can insist that they are helped to die with dignity.

Jan 22 - 12:40 PM

Hreinsdóttir Eva

Hreinsdóttir Eva

It is real, it is a problem in the whole world. Even where abortions are allowed, assisted death is out of the question openly, although there may be cases where doctors help discreetly. Homes for the elderly in Europe at least are partly filled with people who can not help themselves and if their brain works, are embarrassed by the treatment they get, like they are babies or dolls at best. Cruelty to old people or invalids in homes or institutions is a fact almost everywhere. There should be a document for everyone to sign if they are mentally healthy and grown up (over 50 perhaps) where they insist that they are helped to die with dignity.

Jan 22 - 12:38 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile