Amour

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Amour Reviews

July 25, 2014
Elegant pain. It bites so hard with venom so potent, adjusting every potential glimmer of hope to a cold, calloused state of gloom.
March 3, 2013
"Amour" has the most divine and lovingly detailed portrayal of love at a very elderly age not like anything else you can get nowadays.
July 16, 2014
Will be a personal film for most, but Michael Haneke has a way of making something movie seem so distant and cold.
July 1, 2014
That's a difficult subject. I doubt I agree with Haneke on everything here. But it's still my favorite of his movies I have seen so far. But too grim and depressing to recommend.
June 17, 2013
Winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film and nominee for many more, Amour sounded like a great film and also featured the efforts of Isabelle Huppert which is enough to warrant viewing.

I wouldn't say that Amour was a perfect film, but it was definitely a good one. A lot of its subject matter is touching, but it is more likely to have appeal to people who have experienced age and the kind of relationship shared between Georges Laurent and his wife Anne. As I'm only 18, I do not yet know what kind of love comes with being married for decades or just the kind of relationship it establishes. So the concepts are mostly ones that I am not familiar with, although the relationship between the main two characters is reminiscent of the marriage between Iris Mudoch and John Bayley when they were portrayed by Jim Broadbent and Judi Dench in the 2001 film Iris as it was largely about her coping with Alzheimer's disease, and the impact it had on her husband and their marriage as a whole as John fought to save himself from his anger and from the crumbling relationship without leaving the woman he loved. This concept is there again in Amour although explored differently, mainly through the characters because the story itself is a rather thin one. It is more important on the basis of its subject matter, its characters and its acting than it is for how its story develops. From that perspective it still manages to do the job well enough, although it doesn't precisely introduce much new that I haven't seen before in other films. The only difference is that this time age is a major element of the story and there is a lot less optimism in the story which makes the emotional impact of it all a lot more powerful than it possibly could have been. Admittedly, at times I got thrown off by the slow pace of things and the fact that the story itself had only so far it could go, but it kept itself interesting by having a firm script written by Michael Haneke and the directional handling he gave to it.
Part of me feels like Amour won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film because it dealt with age, and it has been proven that most of the Academy Voters are over 60. But the fact is that it is still a good film, and thanks to Michel Haneke's handling of the film he treats it beautifully. He gives it really gentle direction and takes a rather restrained approach to the film that it needs so that the project is sentimental without being melodramatic. It finds the appropriate tone to develop its concepts and uses a lot of well written dialogue to do so. Everything seems rather organic when it echoes from the mouths of its characters, and it intelligently looks into the insight of age and what love is. Rarely are romantic films as deep as Amour is, and so it is great to look at it and learn from the experience.
But like I said, as the characters are the most important aspects of the film, it is all important on the basis of the performances of the cast.
Emmanuelle Riva's Academy Award nominated leading performance in Amour is just beautiful. You can see at the start of the film that the woman is strong, but after her stroke she goes on a gradual decline. Emmanuelle Riva doesn't change the character all at once or dictate that there is no hope for her. She establishes the physical difficulties of being paralysed in the right side of her body excellently being unable to move her entire right side or even her mouth. She manages to do it excellently with dedication to all the little physical elements of her character. And to combine with her physical movements is a powerful line delivery. She says her lines with a real sense of physical strain to them which is so powerful that it is hard to dictate if it is genuine or simply acting which is excellent. Emmanuelle Riva is excellent in her performance because she does a great job of portraying the weakness in her character while trying to keep certain other elements of her very strong. She delivers her lines excellently and sinks into the part really well which makes her an easily sympathetic figure. The audience truly cares about her and as her chemistry with Jean-Louis Trintgnant develops the more the story progresses, we really get to see all sides of her. Emmanuelle Riva's leading performance in Amour is a beautiful thing, and it is one of the most memorable elements of the film.
Jean-Louis Trinitgnant's leading performance is also a powerful one. There are certain things I can really understand in the film on the basis of him being a male character and from relationships of my own, and I can see the kind of strain he has to face which made it easy for me to sympathise for him, yet at the same time I found his genuine care for Emmanuelle Riva to be a beautiful thing because the relationship they shared was very moving. His general stoic nature reflects the way he has had to come to terms with acceptance of so many things in age, and he projects it well by keeping the emotional nature of his character subtle while also revealing a powerful chemistry with Emmanuelle Riva. Jean-Louis Trinitgnant is just wonderful in Amour.
And although she really didn't get as much screen time as I had hoped, Isabelle Huppert's compelling supporting effort made a good impact on the story in a matter of a few scenes.

So although Amour is better for the older crowds and is a slow and potentially familiar film, it is beautifully acted and moving enough to transcend the many other generic films of the genre and gives viewers a lot of insight into true love and age.
June 29, 2014
Even though it's overly long and some scenes seem the exact same as the last, Amour is a very well-done movie with powerful performances and typically good direction from Michael Haneke. It also brings up important moral questions that it leaves the audience to answer.
Lucas A.
June 26, 2014
'Amour' is sweet, deep and touching! A wonderful philosophical film. The director/writer Michael Haneke and his great masterpiece. Georges and Anne are in their eighties. They have a normal life, a simply life, a sweet life, but, one day, Anne have an attack. To this day, the couple's life changes completely. Love Anne and Georges is tested amid Anne, who increasingly worsening disease. Family conflicts and dramatic movie passes leading to captivate the purest sense of the human being: love. The beautiful performances, the great directing and script makes the Golden Palm winner "Amour" an masterpiece of love and life!
June 3, 2014
A heartbreaking story of love in a hugely difficult situation. Excellently portrayed characters assisted by a brilliant script.
February 24, 2013
One thing I could have never anticipated about Michael Haneke's most recent technical masterpiece is how much it would stick with me. As a film about illness, it works well enough, but as a meditation on love at a frail, elderly period of life, I think it might be unmatched. "Amour" is uncomfortable as all hell, mostly due to the powerhouse performances by it's two leads (on a side note, how did the Academy seriously give J-Law an Oscar over Riva that year?), and it's stark, meticulous direction which encompasses an unflinching look at this elderly couple's life. It's a film I haven't forgotten about, and will likely stay wit me for a while
January 10, 2013
I just don't get the love many had for Amour. I have seen this story over and over and over again. Sort of a long version of The Notebook bookends. The acting was ok but I have seen everything done much better.
June 9, 2014
Really fucking sad. That is my review of this film.
May 17, 2014
It is safe to say that this is one of the best and most horrifying films I've seen and I've seen many films already. This is one of the best because of the acting and the script. The actors (French cinema giants Jean Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva) unflinchingly devote themselves to roles that could have been easy on paper but difficult to portray. It is easy to act being sad but it is difficult to render the role of a man who watches his wife decline day by day or the role of a wife afflicted with stroke who sees her world getting smaller and her time getting shorter. The script is sharp and minimal. No fussy declarations. No sentimentality. Just plain dialogue.

This is also a terrifying film by virtue of its theme- debility, death, and loss. I felt myself getting goosebumps and feeling scared even if there are no ghosts in the film. The sinking reality that we will all eventually shrink and die is scarier than all the horror films in the world combined.

This film clearly deserves its Best Foreign Film Oscar and Palme d' Or. An intelligent, brave, and excellent film like this deserves to be watched by millions of people. Why? To make us feel aware that love has its limits and that death is around the corner.
April 17, 2014
A quietly intense emotional ride, Amour displays Michael Haneke's ability to tone down from his usually transgressive heights, and the results are remarkable. Amour is no less disturbing, gripping, or stylish than his other works, but instead it shows him somewhat softening his approach to depict the horrors of the everyday. An intelligent pair of musicians find their decades old love put to the test when the wife suffers a stroke one day, a silent attack that forever changes their world and forces both of them to make new choices in life. Amour is a profoundly ethical and existential film not only about the bonds we forge with one another but the values we create for ourselves and the choices we make that others may never be capable of understanding.
Zach Powers
May 16, 2014
AMOUR succeeds by powerfully capturing the dark, quiet stillness that invades - and eventually engulfs - a human being inching closer and closer to the completion of their existence and by capturing the torturous conflict that rips at the souls of spouses who agonize over their partner's suffering but fear the guilt that comes with preparing to let them pass.

Haneke is acutely aware of every element of the film's aesthetic. The dialogue decreases throughout as Anne becomes physically unable to speak and Georges grows more and more fatigued. Understanding the importance of stillness and silence, Haneke uses no background music, save that played on piano or stereo by Georges.

Only a film intentionally cognizant of its every moment could tell the story Amour does in just over two hours. Haneke has again proven himself to be one of international film's elite storytellers and Riva and Trintignant deliver flawless performances.
September 20, 2012
Amour is a slow-paced yet worthy to watch masterpiece about senility and its damaging effects, physically and emotionally.
May 13, 2014
A story of true love......God willing, when I am old and infirm, I will be loved enough that someone will do for me what he does for her
May 13, 2014
A Heartbreaking And Unbelievable Tale Of Love And Devotion In Real Life.
May 12, 2014
A true treatise on love during the harshest of tests after a lifetime together. Beautiful in it's purity and simplicity and really the everyday of it that is so hidden from us but couples face everyday. Beautiful.
Jason T.
May 8, 2014
"In sickness and in health........" These words are often spoken at nuptuals around then when the person you have spent most of your life with suffers rapid deterioration, to the point you have to bath, feed, and clothe them?
Georges is a good man, softspoken, and gentle with his wife. But as his wife become progressively worse he undergoes a more subtle change. Frustrated with his wife for not eating and with the hired nurses who come to care for Anne during the day. Georges himself slowly become more frustrated and despondent. The best scene in the movie is when he has to fire a casually cruel nurse. He later slaps his wife as a reaction to that frustration, although he quickly apologizes to her. Of course there is a boiling over point to this, and it is in my mind, the most controversial moment of the movie. Why is it that a life is only valuable if a certain standard of "quality of life" is met? Who sets this standard? I certainly understand Georges actions, and the movie doesn't seem to pass judgement on him one way or the other, although Georges passes judgement on himself it seems.
This movie has more long shots than any other film I can remember. i was often wondering what the comparison in cuts would be to any other film with a similar runtime. This style draws you in, and I never felt I was watching two actors reading lines. This was a couple who had been together for a lifetime, and the finish line was in sight. This is not the feel good movie of the year. It is painful to watch. But life is painful as well. This could be any of us someday. Grade: A-
Himanshu M.
February 1, 2013
Probably the most honest, raw and the real masterful work by a director from 2012, Amour is that rare movie which hits you slowly and gradually and when its over, you find yourself numb and enriched at the same time.
A brilliant script performed so emotionally by the outstanding actors and so masterfully directed by Michael Haneke, Amour is a real gem which will stay with you in your minds long after the credits have rolled.