An Inspector Calls Reviews

½ February 16, 2015
Modern dramas don't seem as technologically superior like An Inspector Calls' film-noir aesthetic was in 1954.
½ March 14, 2015
For a 1950's film, it had a gripping story line and was very realistic.
½ May 16, 2014
Even though this film is quite dated (as of now, this film is sixty years old), there's something I think the viewer can learn from it, and that's something the viewer can only realize after watching the film. The story, though the film is only 80 minutes in length, is very clever, and it plays with various ideas from J.B. Priestley's original play, particularly focusing on a certain, supposedly supernatural element of the eponymous inspector's character. In the film, Alastair Sim seems to resemble a ghost, though that might just be because the film is shot in black and white. The characters are all cleverly written and brilliantly played. For me, the script perfectly illustrates the society that J.B. Priestley was trying to depict in his original play. For me, the fact that the film is in black and white doesn't actually bother me at all. In fact, it's actually better in black and white than it could be in colour, partly because it adds some depth to the film's atmosphere. Overall, it's a great film that can be interpreted in any way by the user, and I'd recommend this film to anyone looking for old-fashioned classics.
½ June 2, 2012
Fairly straight adaptation of stage play; Alastair Sim suitably surreal, casual but intense
May 10, 2012
Nice but astray! The story remains a great example of how everyone's lives link into each others, and I like the way the film advances from the one-room setting of the original stage play. However, I feel that Hamilton tried to make the adaptation too suited for the movie by wedging in unneeded and ineffective supernatural parts, as well as odd direction and added guff to J.B. Priestley's' original script.
½ April 12, 2012
A slow plodding film that relies far too much on that fact its based off a well known play by a well known playwright, adding nothing new to story or plot to really show of its merits.