17% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

An Education Reviews

March 18, 2014
Not as good as I thought it was. Kinda creepy that the 16 year old goes off with the married 20 something. And Peter's accent kinda meanders a wee bit. But Dominic Cooper is in it!!!!!
January 2, 2010
Superb! I've just seen the birth of a new star, Carey Mulligan!
February 27, 2014
The performances and costume design match the time period in an art-like film.
Luc L.
February 19, 2014
A good British film.
February 19, 2014
Half way through in that scene, I was wishing she would run for her life...no actually from her very first counter with him. Young girls could learn a lot from this film. Carey Mulligan played this role with excellence.
January 3, 2010
Fantastic coming of age story, examining the question of sex, higher learning, and finding your way in the world. Absolutely superb storytelling. Doesn't miss a beat!
January 18, 2014
BUENA HISTORIA Y BUENAS ACTUACIONES
January 16, 2014
Carey Mulligan at her best. The English wit and accent don't hurt. I don't care for the neat little ending, but that is its only flaw.
January 8, 2014
Thought it would have been rebellious-daring, rather disappointing for the conservativeness deep down after all.
December 24, 2013
Most sensual coming-of-age story ever.
December 22, 2013
This is a great little tribute to French Nouveau films. The ending is rather rushed, but the excellent cinematography, intelligent script and super-doesn't-suck acting make up for that. 3.75/5
January 10, 2010
Itīs not my style, but itīs not bad after all, you can see it, maybe a little boring but not so much to stop watching it. The plot is not too much original (it doesnīt mean itīs not original at all, it means, not too much), and the characters are somehow plain and non-thinking, at least in some aspects. Too much things in common with Mona Lisa Smile, and that is not something good. Everything is too influenced by the dominant mentality of the time and the idea of a girl that can go out from it, so, itīs a little predictable. In summary, not bad, but not understand the enormous impression in critics and Academy Awards last year
December 21, 2013
Great movie about the importance of education!
December 18, 2013
An Education may appeal to viewers in the mood for a touch of class or adults wanting to understand the complex relationship between a teenage girl and a con man, but as romantic cinema is not a favoured genre of mine I found An Education to be nothing much more than just another romantic drama which featured creative elements as well as cliche elements which made it entertaining in certain areas while dull in others.
The romance in An Education plays more of a key role to the story than the subject of protagonist Jenny Mellor's education and development as a person as she learns from both experiences. Unfortunately, really An Education dissolves into being a rather dull romantic drama which fails to take advantage of its characters in such a complex relationship and instead uses it as a symbol for the titular education that Jenny experiences. It didn't teach me anything though, except that the main character is clearly a lot more naive than she expected. And yet the stupid thing is that in the end, we get no insight into the idea that she may have learned anything from the experience. It cuts after she experiences a lot of complex dynamics before overcoming adversity, and it seems like she's only going to look back on all the experiences she experiences in the film and say "Damn, that was lame. Oh well." which makes her entire journey just tedious and pointless. The story cuts at a certain point and refuses to develop from there, and really it could have done a lot more, especially with its theme of how Jenny is against what society deems as the proper way of life in there. A film about that would have been interesting, not one about dating an older man until realising "Surprise, Surprise, he lied to you to get in your pants". An Education seems like its story was just pointless to tell, and I don't know why Lone Scherfig bothered.
But I will say that Carey Mulligan did give a very strong performance with a lot of passion in her and a meaningful line delivery which she never downgrades but keeps consistently strong for the sake of the film's benefit. She shines in An Education and proves that she is an actress worth remembering, and her general British charm just made her blossom as a woman and an actress.
Peter Sarsgaard and Alfred Molina also gave strong supporting performances.

But regardless of what the title of the film is, An Education gave me no education on anything about love. It instead just said to me "Society sucks and men are bad". Any film with that as a key premise is not worth watching, particularly when it's as dull and boring as An Education was.
December 7, 2013
Predictable but watchable
December 4, 2013
good performances and gives a good insight on how it was like for young woman back in the 60's
March 27, 2013
Yawn. Drier than the Brits' humor.
November 27, 2013
Favorite British film of all time.
November 26, 2013
This was pretty good!! I can see why it was nominated for so many awards. Decent story with a plot that keeps you guessing.
November 5, 2013
I think she will get a A+, but first go have sex with a 35 year old man... yeah it sounds really creepy at the first but what can you do.