Analyze That Reviews

cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
This sequel to Analyze This is, for the most part ,a retread of the first film.

Picking up from the last one, mobster Paul Vitti's stay in prison hasn't been an easy one. Afraid of how his mental state will affect him and the other inmates, the prison officials decide that maybe the best thing to do would be to release Vitti into the custody of his psychiatrist Dr. Ben Sobel, who has his own issues to deal with, namely struggling to cope with his father's death, and added pressure to take over his father's own psychiatry business. On top of all this, Vitti tries to 'go straight', but Sobel (and the FBI) suspect that he's really just using that as a cover as he goes back to his old life.

I'm not sure if this was really totally necessary, but I wouldn't say it's completely pointless either. They at least try to build on the story, and the scenes of Paul trying to have a regular job are pretty funny, but, by and large, they don't do enough to push things forward, and this ends up being just a rinse and repeat of the first film, only not as funny, clever, or interesting.

It does have its moments, but overall I was not really engaged here. Sometimes the performers seem like they're trying, but it mostly just comes off as a cash in, devoid of heart and soul. It is nice seeing Cathy Moriarty and De Niro share the screen once more, although I knew to not expect their pairing here to have the same impact that it did in Raging Bull.

See it if you want, but it's honestly okay if you don't.
½ July 28, 2012
Not so good like the first, Analyze That still bring laughs and a odd, but nice chemistry between the protagonists.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 23, 2012
Sequel to the very funny comedy, Analyze This is an awful failure in terms of delivering more laughs that the first one did so well. This film has a very poor script, and story that doesn't do anything to make you laugh. The first film had plenty of laughs to keep you entertained, but this one relies on the same old, same old to deliver its humor. The result is a misfire that is pointless and is a waste of time to watch. The film's plot lacks any originality and though it has a good cast, the film can't be saved and it becomes one of the worst comedic sequels that I've seen. This film simply wasn't funny and it missed the mark on so many occasions. Also, this sequel proves that some comedies don't need sequels, and they're better as a standalone film. Only one sequel comes to mind when I think of something worse, and that's The Hangover Part 2. Analyze That is not worth your time, if you love the first film, skip this film, it's bad. The problem with this film is that I found it similar in part to the first film, and it doesn't do anything original with its plot. This is a poorly constructed film, one that doesn't payoff and is almost free. Not even a great cast like this could save this tiresome, awful film. Harold Ramis has directed some fine comedies in the past, but with Analyze That, he makes one of his worst directorial outings. The first film was so great, funny, witty and original. This sequel is just uninspired trash that doesn't work and it misses the mark on so many occasions. Not worth your time.
blkbomb
August 7, 2011
Paul Vitti: Look at the size of this trunk. You can put three bodies in there.

"Back in Therapy"

Analyze That is a major disappointment for me after how much I liked Analyze This. It feels like a lazy re-do of the first one, with basically the same things happening. With Analyze That, everything just feels too average about it. It's nowhere near as funny as the first and the supporting cast weren't as effectively used.

With all that said, I still can say I liked seeing De Niro and Crystal onscreen together again, even if that was all I liked about it. If this was made by itself, without Analyze This ever being made; I would have liked it a little more. But you have to compare it to the first and when I do that it shows that this is inferior to the first. It has it's moments of being funny and entertaining, but not near as many as it should.

I still don't hate this as much as a lot of people. I don't regret watching it; I'm just disappointed that it wasn't better. It feels like everyone involved just didn't try as hard to make a quality spoof/mob-comedy as they did the first go around.
July 29, 2010
C
½ December 31, 2006
So-so sequel follow up. It has some good jokes and scenes but doesn't quite capture the fun of the first. Ok if you liked the first a lot, just more of the same really.
ScoopOnline
December 7, 2009
Oh no this Movie caused me Headache and lols
½ November 19, 2009
An interesting sequel, but nothing was new at all. It is the exact same formula from the first. Robert De Niro and Billy Crystal are a fun match, but they shouldn't be made to carry an entire movie. The story was bland and the characters as well.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 29, 2007
I bloody love these films both of them and its hard for me to see which one is better but its great movies funy and a pretty good storyline with robert de niro playing a really funny gangster hilariously funny
November 7, 2006
It was okay.
kpn666
½ July 24, 2006
Not as good as first - kinda relies too much on old stuff - not fresh.
xxdebxx
October 7, 2010
Neurotic mobster Robert De Niro is released from prison and into the custody of his psychiatrist Dr. Sobol (Billy Crystal). Dr. Sobol is not all that thrilled at the prospect of having a mob boss as a house guest. Even less thrilled is Sobol's wife, Laura (Lisa Kudrow). But they don't know the half of it, yet. There's a war brewing between two `families,' and Vitti, it seems, is right in the middle of it. And soon, some old faces begin showing up at the Sobol residence, like Jelly (Joe Viterelli). Crystal's hapless routine is familiar but he pulls it off because he is very funny. His constant frustration and De Niro's WTF attitude blend well.
January 16, 2008
The Plot is SO thin...
½ December 2, 2007
Usual story: Film does well in the box office and a inferior sequel is made to cash in further.
mattsigur1
April 3, 2011
Not THAT bad. There are some scenes that are hilarious, esp. Crystal on drugs and DeNiro singing West Side Story songs like a crazy asshole.
July 7, 2009
Pretty much on the same level as the first one...
alanjayh
½ August 13, 2008
more crystal cornball...so so and passable
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Great follow-up to the first! Hilarious!
qtmemoe
½ June 20, 2007
Hated it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 9, 2010
Robert De Niro was a comic delight as Paul Vitti, the mob boss undergoing therapy with Dr. Ben Sobel (Billy Crystal) in 1999's Analyze This, a movie that was a smashing success. So naturally a sequel was bound to follow, one that reunites the two stars. But there's only financial reasons for Analyze That to exist. There are no other reasons.

The sequel is also directed by Harold Ramis, and it's painfully formulaic. You do chuckle a bit watching De Niro feign nuttiness in order to get out of prison, including crooning tunes form West Side Story, including 'I Feel Pretty'. "I'm half a fag already," he says summing all of the script's wit in that one line. That's all you need to know.