—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Anarchist Cookbook Reviews

kielhunt1
December 12, 2008
Great movie. The dialogue was great and funny. Story was good and great character design! Interesting concepts just too extreme! I actually want to see the Anarchist Cookbook just to see what all the fuss was about!
June 4, 2007
a sub-par meshing of two far superior movies, Fight Club and SLC Punk. though it does have a few good parts.
January 7, 2007
An almost plotless tale of how a nihilist almost undermines the peaceful demonstration of this group of anarchists.
dfwforeignbuff
November 2, 2009
The Anarchist Cookbook (2002) I am not sure when this ended up in my queue. I guess I kept it there to see the views of Dallas and east dallas since I lived there for 20 years. Let's see, we have Anarchists, Nihilists, anti-government right-wingers, wealthy Republicans, Neo-Nazis, but no Democrats at all. Being a moderate Democrat which at times veers towards Centrism, I found this movie lacking a bit. While some scenes were smart, others came off as stupid, un-original, un-realistic and improvised. Puck lives with his friends in a Anarchist commune somewhere in Texas. These are Anarchist that resemble more flower children. One day, a Nihilist called Johnny Black shows up, offer everyone drugs and violence as a weapon and somehow becomes the leader. Later on, the Anrchist forge an alliance wit other anti-establishment groups such as Neo-Nazis. First of all, not all Anarchists are peace loving intellectuals. Many are upper-class spoiled brats that simply want to vandalize anything (Yes I know plenty of these, they do exist). Many do follow Anarchist theory but fail to realize it's utopianism. Johnny Red the early leader,constantly lionizes Sweden as an exemplary society but somehow Social Democrats are missing from the film's universe. Anarchists tend to be socially liberal and would NEVER form an alliance with Neo-Nazis. If Puck didn't agree with the system, he could of found ways to subvert it by integrating himself into alternative cultures and political movements (YES, lobbying does work). Other reviewers are correct in pointing out the similarities between this movie and SLC Punk and Trainspotting. Despite its plot's weakness, Anarchist Cookbook has a weak witty script and at moments wanna be stylish direction however the film is just a bomb. The most boring piece of c r a p I have seen in ages. negative one star.
M. Bison
August 22, 2008
I would think with a political history as rich as anarchism and with modern day adherents like Noam Chomsky arguing for the theory of socail anarchism, this would be an in-depth film with a great deal of info about anarchism. But what we get is stoners, low-lifes, 60s era flower children, FBI most wanted thugs, run a ways from home, and a sexually obsessed girl who's doing things to herself because she wants to get back at daddy (played by Gina Philips). 'Red' Emma Goldman is spinning in her grave with a shameful movie being put out like this in her name. This movie represents a complete misappropriation of the theory of social anarchism.
jennifer's picks & pa
June 26, 2005
Supposedly based on the book of the same name, The Anarchist Cookbook is an absolute mess of a movie. The characters are more like slackers than anarchists, and the movie has no real message. I'm sure the intention was a dark comedy, but this film misses the mark in every area. None of the characters are believable or particularly interesting and the plot is simply horrendous. And it's never funny. Simply an awful movie.
jazza923
November 7, 2004
INTERESTING STORY, NOT BAD. GOOD STYLE, WELL WRITTEN
megladon8
August 7, 2004
The Anarchist Cookbook - really struck a chord with me. Partly due to the main character who is so incredibly desperate. It started off kind of lame and I thought it was a teeny-bopper movie that was trying to be smaart with theories taht had already been talked about a million times in movies, but it really changes in the second act. I don't think it's a coincidence that the actor playing the main character looks like Edward Norton, and the movie is very much like Fight Club.

American Beauty - I just love this movie. I watch it once every couple of montsh and I never get sick of it. Kevin Spacey is wonderful as Lester Burnham, and, well, everyone in the movie is great. Even Scott Bakula is good. I want to put this in my top 100 (and fairly high up) but I don't know what to get rid of.
knottyboy84
January 8, 2004
not a bad film, kinda like fight club but without the fighting. has its moments, but sometimes slows down and can be a bit predictable.