The Anarchist Cookbook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Anarchist Cookbook Reviews

½ November 2, 2009
The Anarchist Cookbook (2002) I am not sure when this ended up in my queue. I guess I kept it there to see the views of Dallas and east dallas since I lived there for 20 years. Let's see, we have Anarchists, Nihilists, anti-government right-wingers, wealthy Republicans, Neo-Nazis, but no Democrats at all. Being a moderate Democrat which at times veers towards Centrism, I found this movie lacking a bit. While some scenes were smart, others came off as stupid, un-original, un-realistic and improvised. Puck lives with his friends in a Anarchist commune somewhere in Texas. These are Anarchist that resemble more flower children. One day, a Nihilist called Johnny Black shows up, offer everyone drugs and violence as a weapon and somehow becomes the leader. Later on, the Anrchist forge an alliance wit other anti-establishment groups such as Neo-Nazis. First of all, not all Anarchists are peace loving intellectuals. Many are upper-class spoiled brats that simply want to vandalize anything (Yes I know plenty of these, they do exist). Many do follow Anarchist theory but fail to realize it's utopianism. Johnny Red the early leader,constantly lionizes Sweden as an exemplary society but somehow Social Democrats are missing from the film's universe. Anarchists tend to be socially liberal and would NEVER form an alliance with Neo-Nazis. If Puck didn't agree with the system, he could of found ways to subvert it by integrating himself into alternative cultures and political movements (YES, lobbying does work). Other reviewers are correct in pointing out the similarities between this movie and SLC Punk and Trainspotting. Despite its plot's weakness, Anarchist Cookbook has a weak witty script and at moments wanna be stylish direction however the film is just a bomb. The most boring piece of c r a p I have seen in ages. negative one star.
November 2, 2009
December 12, 2008
Great movie. The dialogue was great and funny. Story was good and great character design! Interesting concepts just too extreme! I actually want to see the Anarchist Cookbook just to see what all the fuss was about!
½ August 25, 2008
I enjoyed this. It's about a group of "anarchists" who are just punks wanting to have fun, until a "true anarchist" who is really just a terrorist wants to shake up the group and break things, now everyone has to decide if they really want to hurt people.
½ August 22, 2008
I would think with a political history as rich as anarchism and with modern day adherents like Noam Chomsky arguing for the theory of socail anarchism, this would be an in-depth film with a great deal of info about anarchism. But what we get is stoners, low-lifes, 60s era flower children, FBI most wanted thugs, run a ways from home, and a sexually obsessed girl who's doing things to herself because she wants to get back at daddy (played by Gina Philips). 'Red' Emma Goldman is spinning in her grave with a shameful movie being put out like this in her name. This movie represents a complete misappropriation of the theory of social anarchism.
½ August 14, 2008
Unbelievably awful.
I don't know where to begin.
First off, this movie maybe, MAYBE, would've been acceptable if it had, say, been made in 1993, then, MAYBE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE maybe. The fact that it was made in 2002 is beyond unacceptable.
One of the most absurdly unoriginal, uninspired, insipid stories written and directed by someone with out a fucking clue as to how to tell a story.
The acting is awful, the editing is awful, the pacing is awful, the story is beyond tedious and awful.
It's like a bunch of suburban jerk offs aping anarchist jerk offs. Rife with blatant hypocrisies, loaded with story threads that go nowhere, oh and a timely overdose of a "beloved" character? You betcha.
Like SLC Punk without the charm, originality, writers, actors and you know, everything that makes that film brilliant.
If anyone ever tries to make you watch it, punch them in the stomach for being so stupid. Then punch yourself in the stomach. Then find Jordan Susman and fucking murder him for this cinematic abortion. A ridiculous piece of fucking shit.
Truly spectacular masturbatory garbage.
Find all the copies of this film and destroy them and I guarantee you, the world will be a better place.
July 28, 2007
This was a really unexpectedly fun and serious movie. I liked it a lot. It progressed well and kept me entertained.
½ June 4, 2007
a sub-par meshing of two far superior movies, Fight Club and SLC Punk. though it does have a few good parts.
January 7, 2007
An almost plotless tale of how a nihilist almost undermines the peaceful demonstration of this group of anarchists.
February 10, 2006
I like this movie, but the whole theory of a total anarchy is just plain stupid, eventually, even if you didnt mean for it to happen, you're going to start some form of government some how...there is no way around it...
½ June 26, 2005
Supposedly based on the book of the same name, The Anarchist Cookbook is an absolute mess of a movie. The characters are more like slackers than anarchists, and the movie has no real message. I'm sure the intention was a dark comedy, but this film misses the mark in every area. None of the characters are believable or particularly interesting and the plot is simply horrendous. And it's never funny. Simply an awful movie.
April 6, 2016
Fair independent movie, which would probably be better if ever remade.
½ February 14, 2010
(First and only viewing - 12/4/2008)
May 19, 2014
Preachy and pro-narc. It shows though you get shit done if the insane parts of the far left and right unite.
October 10, 2012
This movie freaking rox, its not really about punk rock, so dont watch it for that, its the anarchy part that is awsome
½ July 14, 2008
i tried to watch it....i really did. but i really prefer "slc: punk" to this movie
½ February 10, 2011
witty dialogue and overall entertaining.
½ April 22, 2010
I don't remember this movie well, but I know I didn't enjoy it.