Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different Reviews

TomBowler
November 16, 2011
Full on Python brilliance without the restraint of scripts or plot. Full review later.
garyX
½ November 4, 2006
And Now For Something Completely different is a compilation from the Monty Python team comprised of some of the funniest moments from their early work and as such doesn't really feel like a "movie". But the sketches are genuine classics as Python pretty much invented the non sequitur and introduced the comedy of the absurdly surreal to the mainstream. The biggest problem of course is the sheer familiarity of it all but the talent involved are amongst the best in the business and it's amazing how a skit that I know, and have known for the better part of two decades, word for word can still make me laugh. Some of the jokes have fared better than others over time, but the highlights are true all-time comedy classics and it's worth it for Terry Gilliam's desecrations of artistic masterpieces alone!
February 10, 2011
Produced in 1971 on a shoestring budget with the aim of breaking the Python team in the States (which eventually happened when the TV series began running on PBS), this film consists of classic moments from the first two series of Monty Python's Flying Circus, lovingly reprised, and in some cases improved upon. The 'Vocational Guidance Counsellor' sketch with Michael Palin's chartered accountant who wants to be a lion tamer is certainly better than the TV version, as is the bank robber in a lingerie shop sketch, which is performed here in such a dry, straight-faced, understated way, it makes me laugh every time. There are lots of other classics to enjoy - the dirty fork, Hell's Grannies, the Upper Class Twit of the Year show, Blackmail, camp square-bashing, the Killer Cars...if you can look past the obviously low budget (the sound mix makes some scenes sound as if they were recorded in a cake tin), you'll find one of the most tirelessly inventive sketch comedies of all time. And remember, it's NOT pining, it's passed on!
flixsterman
½ January 9, 2009
Classic skits, including The Dead Parrot, Joke Warfare and Upper Class Twit of the Year. Python fans will be in virtual heaven (the rest of you will incur hemorrhages and gout).
½ June 5, 2008
Of course this movies good, it's Monty Python. A collection of sketches presented with a linear quality that they can only achieve. A classic film that contains a ton of sketches that most of you nerds out there can recite by heart. There's not much more you can say about this one other than it's a nice little piece of the TV show.
August 28, 2006
Review soon...

Love Monty Python. Contains every classic sketch from the first two series of the show and just brilliant to watch. Difficult to write a review on so I recomend to watch the show when you can..
½ September 18, 2009
Considering it's just a re-hash of all the best sketches from the TV series, Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different is really good and certainly stands alone as a very capable film.
gor41
March 18, 2007
Effectively captures the spirit of the TV series with a selection of classic sketches cleverly linked with Gilliam's innovative animations.
May 14, 2007
OK, but these skits from the TV series don't seem to be as funny this time around. It's like they are too rehearsed, or maybe I just know them too well. Still, any Python is better than no Python.
nuheart
January 6, 2007
I guess if you've never seen the Flying Circus, this is a good primer to get you started -- otherwise, move on to LIFE OF BRIAN or THE HOLY GRAIL.
½ October 25, 2006
Not their best, but still entertaining.
October 12, 2010
It cant help but feel like the rehash of the television series that it is, but 'And Now For Something Completely Different' is funny and will suffice for entertainment.
½ August 30, 2010
Get the complete set. But you can't go wrong with a little Monty.
½ November 25, 2007
From the opening sketch of "Lessons of how not to be seen" till the end, you cannot stop laughing!
½ September 16, 2011
A good compilation of the sketches
shitfaced8
July 20, 2008
Collection of Monty Python skits. Some made me laugh. Other's didn't. A mixed bag really. I've never fully understood what it is people love so much about the Python. The Holy Grail was also the only thing I had seen by them prior to this, which I loved. Worth seeing for the uninitiated, and obviously there fans will get what they want. As of right now I prefer their films to their skits though. (Not really saying much as I usually hate the TV show format anyways.)
½ February 4, 2007
This was the first Monty Python thing I ever saw. I wasn't really sure whether they were any good after watching it, as I liked some of it but I watched Holy Grail 5 minutes after finishing this and fell in love. This movie is just some of their sketches from the show redone and some of them are better than the original sketch. Especially the pet shop sketch. I found the original to be a bit rushed, where in this one it seems more natural and the timing is much better.
February 19, 2008
The original,with Gregory Peck!
½ September 12, 2007
The least funnt Python film. In fact, not really a film at all, just a collection of their 'best' sketches from the TV series. At least 'The Meaning of Life' had a theme to it! Also not as the funny as the show for some reason. Definitely not a place to start with Python.
nickymo89
August 9, 2007
Pretty much a best off from the tv series and definitely has some funny bits. Fantastic for it's randomness. I still like the true "movies" better but a great place to start for the Python novice.