And Now the Screaming Starts Reviews

October 2, 2013
A Slow Moving Atmospheric Amicus Horror, That's More Adult Orientated Than Some Of Their Other Big Films. Its A Tale About, Rape, Revenge, Virgins & Ghosts In A Seemingly Hauted House. This Is A Film That Works With Its Somewhat Basic Story, Clever Atmosphere & It's Good Performances From Its Cast
June 26, 2013
A good cast in a Hammeresque style gothic horror. It's creepy enough but lacks a satisfying ending.
April 26, 2012
One of the rare non-anthology offerings from Amicus, this one is pretty much a bore, despite the admirably out-there premise. Still, watching genre veterans like Lom, Magee, and Cushing chew a little scenery is never a bad thing; too bad they're stuck in such a forgettable film.
April 24, 2012
Produced by Amicus Productions and directed by the ever reliable Roy Ward Baker (A Night to Remember (1958), The Vampire Lovers (1970), Scars of Dracula (1970) and Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971)), this is a complex but effective horror film with a good cast, but it does get a bit complex for it's own good, which tends to work against it. Set in rural England in 1795, it starts when young Charles Fengriffen (Ian Ogilvy) marries Catherine (Stephanie Beacham), and they settle down in the family home, but when Catherine becomes obsessed with a painting that has a mysterious, hypnotic quality about it, she starts seeing things, like a dismembered hand crawling across the floor, and on the wedding night, Catherine is sexually assaulted by some unknown entity. When the hallucinations get worse, Charles turns to Dr. Whittle (Patrick Magee), who is at a loss what to do, but he calls in psychologist Dr. Pope (Peter Cushing), who learns the horrible truth about Charles' grandfather Henry (Herbert Lom), and the curse a woodsman called Silas (Geoffrey Whitehead) put upon the name of Fengriffen. It's got it's good moments of bloody scares and what you'd expect from a 70's horror film, it's got good costumes and sets too, and it manages to do a lot with not a lot of money. A bit of work could have gone into the script mind, as it does seem a bit confused and muddled at the end, which feels a bit silly.
½ April 23, 2012
Rather than the portmanteau films that Amicus were known for in the early 70's here they try to ape Hammer and create their own gothic horror. Unfortunately there is little that is actually horrific here aside from a few shock moments and the whole thing feels a bit laboured. The cast are pretty strong and do their best with the material but you kind of wish the whole thing had been compresses into a short story and thrown into another portmanteau film. I think I'll stick with 'Asylum' and 'Vault of Horror' in the future.
½ April 8, 2012
It was decent but i prefer the Amicus anthology flicks. This could have easily been shortened down and inserted into one of those films.
July 5, 2011
Weird movie. I struggled watching this movie. The only part I liked was when he tells the legend to Dr. Pope. Wouldn't watch it again though unless there was absolutely nothing else.
November 9, 2007
This popped up again from the To-Watch Pile and I can happily say that it holds up really well. Great looking film, great sets, nice atmosphere.

Nicely atmospheric ghost story that I have to admit I dozed through a short portion of. I enjoyed the film and I think the dozing reflected how tired I was and not necessarily the quality of the film.

Well worth a look, give it a rental.
January 4, 2010
It was entertaining, but not the best.
July 14, 2007
This one was fun. The synopsis is wretched though.
June 29, 2007
Not a bad period ghost movie, and the back story was pretty racy for an old Hammer film. Once was enough, though, so no DVD in my future.
June 21, 2007
This looks like a very atmospheric Hammer film but it isn't. Truly horrible! It's especially nasty on the uncut 18 certificated version.
½ June 8, 2007
That hand freaks me out!
April 14, 2007
I RECENTLY SAW THIS ONE ! I LOVED IT!! THE WAY ITS SHOT ITS LIKE YOUR IN THE MOVIE!!!
½ April 7, 2007
A creepy and atmospheric British horror film with wonderful work from Stephanie Beacham, Partrick Magee, Ian Ogilvy, Herbert Lom and, of course, the always brilliant Peter Cushing. This is not one of Amicus's best films, however, because it deviates from the very qualities that made the studio different from it's contemporary, Hammer: it is a period film, too much like your average Hammer film. Amicus worked best when it was spinning it's stories in the modern age. Still, this is a very good "family curse" horror tale with a great, thrilling finish.
February 18, 2007
kool as i want 2 see dis. i want 2 see every movie in da wole wide world of course im a movie lover
September 28, 2006
PCushing & HLom, need I say more. IOgilvy is hot!!
September 14, 2006
This comes excellently recommended as one of the best bad movies you'll ever see. To that effect, I have added it to Flixster, to share the love :)