Love Never Dies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Never Dies Reviews

½ July 5, 2015
A twisted sequel to the well known classic. A few of the songs stuck to the original musical style as the first, others were ridiculous. The characters have become distorted from what we had originally known.
March 19, 2014
Absolutely Fabulous!! The Aussie's are the best! They captured and expressed the passion that we have for the Phantom and took it to the next level.
½ July 6, 2013
Simply a great sequel to the original Phantom. The story of the film just makes many sudden turns in how your disposition is of each character. One minute you could believe one thing about the characters, then another the next. The plot is a great way to really change the ballgame and make you really dive deep into it's predecessor and think about how everything occurred. The musical performances are astounding and filled with emotion. Ben Lewis has a voice that really digs into you, an reminds me of a fusion of Gerard Butler and Ramin Karimloo. His vowels are so sound, and long notes are so crisp, but contains a large amount of emotion and strong lyric. Christine was played well also, where the singing is good, I was felt wanting more firmness from each note. While the performances were great, I felt the setting of Coney Island was a bit confusing. Also, some of the tunes Andrew Lloyd Webber (while a musical genius) I felt were a bit too campy for the franchise, as you have to keep seriousness throughout the story, not drift back and forth. I understand it is Coney Island, but it's Phantom. It's not a musically fun story so to speak. Overall, "Love Never Dies" is a more than satisfying sequel to the breathtaking original, which will certainly feed all Phantom fans' hunger for more of the musical love triangle.
June 27, 2013
This film is a gorgeous spectacle that is executed flawlessly. The vocals are magnificent and the acting is supreme. 5 out of 5 stars!!
February 26, 2012
I love this sequel to the Phantom of the Opera! At first I was skeptical of it being a different cast, but I love Anna O'Byrne and Ben Lewis as Christine and The Phantom :) a very beautiful story for those who loved the musical and the various movie and filmed version :) definitely a must see for Phantom-fans :)
December 21, 2012
Very powerful emotionally speaking but lacks the musical grandeur that made the first story such a hit. I still loved it.
August 29, 2012
Very similar to Phantom of the Opera, only not quite as good. The mostly so-so songs sometime really soar, with some really impressive set design and costumes definitely adding to the production. The voices are big and generally up to the task. The melodramatic story is okay, but I thought the very end packed a punch.
August 1, 2012
I love this movie so much. Phantom of the Opera didnt have enough closure for me and in the 2004 movie, it still didnt give me closure so this whole story that unfolds makes alot more sense to me. Not to mention that the music is just beautiful :)
July 18, 2012
Not sure. I fell in love with some of the songs while others were truly awful. Don't know how I feel about the story. Entertaining, at least, but not as much as the original.
½ July 3, 2012
This is an excellent and heartbreaking sequel to The Phantom of the Opera. Andrew Lloyd Webber's music is amazing.
June 27, 2012
I went into this having mixed feelings. I love The Phantom Of The Opera, but I just wasn't sure the magic and emotion of it could be recaptured in a sequel. And for the first half hour or so, I was convinced it hadn't happened. But the more I watched of this, the more captivated I was. And by the end, I was a complete wreck, in such a wonderful way. If you're a fan of musicals, you definitely CANNOT miss this one.
½ February 28, 2012
This is a sequel to Phantom of the Opera. The Phantom has fled France, and found refuge in Coney Island. It sounds ridiculous, but it really make sense once you get into the story. While not nearly as good as the original movie adaptation, it's still a good play in its own right. If you are a fan of Phantom of the Opera, I would recommend seeing this because you get a better sense of who the Phantom is, and an interesting story of what happens to Christine and Raoul later in their lives.
January 3, 2016
The plot is not awesome and I miss the old actors but the singing is amazing and the song "Beauty Underneath" is one of the best Andrew Lloyd Weber songs I have ever heard. Jack Lytall if that is his name, the little boy who they don't even list below has an extraordinary voice talent. It will be interesting to see how long he can hit those high notes!
½ July 5, 2015
July 8, 2012
LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 19, 2014
Put off watching this sequel for a long time as i was not thrilled with where the plot went. Upon watching it I fell in love with everything about this movie from the plot, to the stage setup, the music and the acting. Ben Lewis and Anna O'byrne make a amazing older Phantom and Christine. I will admit the music isn't as good as the first movie but still is great in its own right.
June 8, 2014
love it ,but ending is sad
March 19, 2014
April 1, 2014
Sometimes it's nice to watch something different.

Although it was interesting to watch this for it's spectacle and design, unfortunately the source material is not that strong. Compared to the classic 'Phantom' score, this does fail in comparison. it is a much slower, and duller, style of music, that left everything feeling a little long-winded.

There are nice moments, but as a whole it is all a little silly, and over the top. The singing is top notch, and some numbers are good, but the story is thin, and it's just not that good for the sequel to 'The Phantom of The Opera'.

The show is spectacular, and definitely improves as it goes on, but it takes a while. The ending feels a little forced, and overly dramatic. More of a forced tragedy, than an actual one.

An achievement on the technical side, but it is lacking in others.
December 31, 2013
The thing is, I am never a true musical lover, perhaps.
That said, I found the story is so cheesy & corny, in addition to the unappealing numbers, with the not so outstanding cast performance.
And, why turning Raoul into a villan?!!! Jeeeeez...