• Unrated, 5 hr. 52 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Angels in America (MINI-SERIES) Reviews

July 8, 2011
Such am Amazing Mini Series that is hard to describe.Nothing like you'd expect, often Very Dark with creepy Angels with Black Wings.Touches on many subjects, struggling Mormons about their Religion, Cancer, Corrupt Lawyers, Cancer, Aids, many things good & bad.A Well acted & Written MASTERPIECE that was water cooler fodder for months.I will never forget this Mini Series & intend to own it.
December 13, 2013
PHENOMENAL series - movie in it's entire was on today...wow. Meryl can play anything, and Pacino should have gotten awards for his performance as Roy Cohn. Maybe he DID.
carl the critic
June 22, 2004
This is one of the best mini series/t.v.movie ever put on televison. Mike Nichols Angels in America is magnificent, if depressing look at the AIDS problem that hit us. Al Pacino, and Meryel Streep are at there usual best, and both won Golden Globes for there work. I recommend this to anybody who likes great story telling, and acting. Please don't miss this!
October 12, 2010
I'd like to rate my first Mini Series here: Angels in America - 8.5/10 - First of all, I must say Al Pacino and Meryl Streep were beyond awesome (I think I prefer Al Pacino this time, or maybe he was playing a bigger role and appeared more often than Meryl). There were some certain parts of the story I still didn't understand (mostly about US politics in Reagan part), otherwise the series was another inspiring, humourous (I'm laughing to death every time 'she' appears LMAO), harrowing and stunning, especially the issue about the forgiveness. Although the movie was 'homosexuality' themed, the kernel part of this are much more profound than that. I wish I had a chance to watch it in an opera, or a play.
Ali Fuat Kisakurek
June 26, 2010
Amazingly acted, directed, written, produced..... Best miniseries ever. Astonishing achievement by Mike Nichols and all involved. Look out for amazing performances by Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Emma Thompson, Jeffrey Wright, Justin Kirk, Mary Louise Parker and Patrick Wilson.
TommyBoy249er
January 23, 2010
This 6-hour masterpiece is by far the best mini-series ever released. Part II: Perestroika is written, and flows, much better in this screenplay than in the original script. Thankfully Tony Kushner had more time to look over his script for this 'film.' This shows that even 35 or so years after "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," Mike Nichols can honestly do no wrong in his direction of this script with the fantastic cast that was handed to him... and the themes presented in Kushner's masterpiece will always be relevant, and this will always be one of my favorite 'films.'
Night 1987
January 19, 2010
Now Firstly I must say that I am going to review this as a film rather than a mini series as this is the format I watched Angels In America.
Firstly as complex as it is long Angels In America is In my opinion eventually gives a moving viewing experience but there is a lot of crap in this, that obscures the main themes in the movie.
Moreover I know the play is 7 hours long but there really wasn't a need to make the film nearly 6 hours and I honestly believe that this condensed into a two and a half hour Movie would be 5 stars and maybe a modern classic.
Set at the point AIDS started to rear its ugly head properly in America (1985), Angels in America tells the story of a group of interconnected characters that ultimately are united by loss and loneliness.
In reference to the characters for once the great cast really did not disappoint and there were also great performances by the lesser know actors (particularly Justin Kirk).
Angels is less about the horror of AIDS and more about human behavior and actually the 'End of Days' (the concept of the end of the world).
I think this really is a hard movie to review because there is simply so much of it to consider,yes I was entertained and yes the movie is well constructed as well as acted.
The 'but' I was about to add to that sentence is that the more I think about it the more I believe Tony Kushner had a great movie on his hands, but in making it this long allmost ruined it.
In summary the crass way to describe Angels In America would be Philadelphia on LSD, seriously though Angels is above average with great performances but is confusing in some places and could have been so much better.
Aaron J.
January 19, 2010
I think that is by far the best miniseries that I have ever seen. Al Pacino gave one of the most brilliantly crafted performances in this entire miniseries. But the person that I was most impressed with is Jeffery Wright as Belize. His Performance really grabbed me the most. This miniseries is filled with such beautiful imagery. Mike Nichols really knows what he is doing. Tony Kushner really ought to take a bow for writing such a beautiful piece.
Halimali
November 19, 2009
A drama movie for TV. It is very well done. I think Meryl Streep and Al Pacino were really good in their roles specially Meryl who played several nice characters. Though the chapters are long but the movie is really interesting.
Wissmongler
September 15, 2009
Honestly boring and longated to the point of frustration. Even patience can meet its match...this was it.

Feeling to tell the stories of gay jews and mormons while linking them to religion and physiological death, this film truly becomes complete opera in which white figures of light can redeem its closet presence in which the victims preside.

A truly long boring movie with little or no humor and all the while hear a bunch of guys argue about love and dishonesty. Even Angels cant save the America in Angels in America.

Written By: Xou Xiong
Jacob G.
March 5, 2009
[font=Palatino Linotype]Angels in America is a fabulous movie. Even though it's 6 hours in length, my attention never left it. It is one of my favorite movies, and I can watch it anytime. Being a huge fan of Al Pacino and Meryl Streep, they definately didn't disappoint. It was interesting to see the newcomers as well. Jeffery Wright was TREMENDOUS! What an incredible experience, and I recommend it to anyone who is open to this type of storyline.[/font]
Mr. Sorkini
February 4, 2009
although theological unsound the series does bring an interesting perspective many may be naive to. I obviously disagree with much of its content but its contrariety is tolerable and at points profound in nature. However the pro-homosexual propaganda in the end and secular theology made me think i was in a Dan Brown movie.
enfuego142000
June 2, 2008
[color=white]Strange, very strange. It was a struggle for me to get through all 6 hours, but a week later and I'm done, thank God! I thought the movie was boring and over the top quite a bit. I must admit the only thing I knew about this series before I watched it is that it had Al Pacino and Meryl Streep in it. I'm a big Pacino fan so I figured I'd watch it. I was pretty suprised after getting into the first 10 minutes. I just thought it was boring. Oh well.[/color]
earthbound1081
February 8, 2008
Angels in America was an astounding movie. I consider my movie experience to start when i read a few snips of the playwright out of pure curiosity. The movie deals with two couples and a lawyer, all interconnected relationships, who deal with very real parts of life.
alistarr
March 17, 2007
Angels in America (2003) - The Body is the Garden of the Soul." - The Angel of America

Reeling from a nasty economy and frustrated by Iran, America rejoiced as Ronald Reagan freed the hostages, crushed the engine of inflation (middle-class factory workers), and ushered in a new age of moral governance.

Meanwhile, under the cover of night, AIDS crept in through the back door...

"Angels in America" follows a small group of characters caught up in the epidemic. It is an astonishing work of art. It's a crime to single out any aspect of this work for unique comment (everyone and everything was terrific), but I'll risk it anyway:

Al Pacino is amazing as Roy Kohn. I haven't seen Pacino this good in a long time. And Jeffrey Wright is... well - damn, he was good as Mr. Lies and Belize.

Adapted by Tony Kushner from his Pulitzer Prize winning play and directed by Mike Nichols, this two-part, six-chapter HBO mini-series won 5 Golden Globes, an Emmy for best mini-series, and was the most watched made-for-cable movie in 2003.
SeeTheSun
February 11, 2007
[font=Trebuchet MS]I was sometimes a bit put-off by the theatrically over-the-top dream sequences, but ultimately I do think that [i]Angels in America[/i] needed them to form into a coherent, powerful story; generally well-acted, by Patrick Wilson and Mary-Louise Parker in particular, and it never drags despite being almost six hours long.[/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS]Full review to come.[/font]
Coinsquolino
December 28, 2006
Well.

The 1st time I saw it (uhm... two days ago) it kind of left me "Uh? And what was that!?". I bought the DVD for Christmas because there was Meryl Streep and there had been quite a hype in Italy for this miniseries, and I got curious about it.

I think THAT was my first reaction because I didn't quite know what the film was going to be and what it was all about and such: I didn't know what to expect and what I was going to see. I had been watching the movie trailer for like 3 hours (it really is well-made) and I thought it was going to be absolutely a great movie! I had GREAT expectations.

Then it ended, after 6 hours, and... WHAT?

It took me one day to rethink about it. You really have to think about the context and what the screenwriter (Kushner) was trying so desperately to tell you.

And then I got it.

The very first time I watched it (still, two days ago) I was too focused on the PLOT. What was happening, who was doing what, what's his name, oh so he's... OK. You know, if you watch a movie JUST for the plot, you can't be that satisfied, as long as it isn't a drama series like Desperate Housewives or something like that.

So I took my brand-new Angels in America DVD and I put it once more in my DVD player.

And the magic begun.

Maybe it was because the 1st time I watched in Italian, and even though we have the best dubbers in the world it's NOT the same. Maybe it was because I was focused on the plot. Whatever. I really enjoyed every minute of those six hours.

It's all about the references, about the metaphores, about the historical context: it really is a movie that enlightens the Reagan period and that really tries his best to highlight some of the social matters that, sadly, are still alive nowadays.

I think that someone of my age cannot completely understand the complexity of this masterpiece, because I haven't lived enough, but still I feel its amazing reality and fidelity to the truth. It's not offensive, as I've heard many people claiming that, it's just OPEN MINDED.

Against discrimination, fighting for freedom of any kind.
I should talk in italian to explain how this movie makes me feel, but then any of you (or very few) would understand.

Just watch it: pay attention to the words and to what they're trying to say, to explain, to teach you. And learn.

:fresh: 8 because it's about gays and discrimination and because it shows life without fearing what it's about.