Anna and the King of Siam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

jjnxn
April 4, 2007
good non musical version of the King and I. Darker in tone
April 28, 2015
A strong willed British woman takes a job in Siam teaching the children of the king. Good-natured, if not a bit naive, story is anchored by strong acting, and beautiful and elaborate sets.
½ December 21, 2013
Theres a certain lightheartedness to this film even though its not a comedy and is sometime dealing with serious issues. Its interesting how when a woman stood up to the men she wasn't burned at the stake but respected. If you have seen the musical it is very similar (ect,ect,ect). Its also interesting to see how the king wanted to impress Europe to keep off invasion.
September 25, 2007
I saw this post war film on TV last year and it's still very watchable and the story doesn't appear very dated at all.
May 13, 2007
Great, I only enjoy it more than the more-famous 'The King and I' b/c the storyline is much more in-depth.
May 13, 2005
THE FIRST, AND CERTAINLY THE BEST VERSION OF THIS STORY. IRENE DUNNE IS PERFECT AS ANNA. REX HARRISON IS ONE OF THE FILMS FEW FLAWS THOUGH, HE IS MISCAST, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS, AS THE SIAMESE KING. BUT, HE DOES GET AN "A" FOR EFFORT. GOOD PRODUCTION, VERY VERY ENJOYABLE.
½ June 9, 2015
i enjoyed watching this historical,drama,and comedy film great acting to
April 28, 2015
½ December 21, 2013
August 3, 2013
Anna Owens lied about just about everything, even her own name. On top of that this movie uses some of the most offensive stereotypes since "Birth Of A Nation". Harrison starred in some great movies but I hope he was ashamed of this one.
May 28, 2013
An unjustly ignored film given that it's really still the best version of this story. Harrison's performance as the titular king will probably skirt the bounds of racial discomfort for modern audiences ... but he successfully stays on the side of good taste. It's a testament to what a magnificent actor he truly was. This version is darker than any subsequent versions, and really is a wonderfully effective melodrama.
February 6, 2013
still the best version of this tale
½ April 5, 2012
Rex got criticized for doing this role, but I thought it was great.
½ May 27, 2011
The remake with Jodi Foster definitely better.
March 16, 2011
Better in some ways than the modern version--less romance. But not too good.
September 4, 2010
First take on this story, and definitely not the best. Primarily because of course, the King of Siam is played, yes, by Rex Harrison. and that's a big stumbling point. Even he can't pull such a task off without looking ridiculous. Aside from that, the story itself, while just a tad bit longwinded, is fine. It actually adds some elements that I wasn't aware of, not mentioned in any of the other movies, and therefore begs of more research. Irene Dunne plays a fine Anna actually, but the Non-Asians playing Asians (there's plenty more) definitely takes this down a notch.
June 11, 2010
I wasn't sure I would be able to handle Rex Harrison as the King of Siam, but he manages to pull it off nicely. Very entertaining version of the classic story and a nice peformance from Irene Dunne as Anna. The sets and costumes are excellent and the score is nice as well. I also really liked Gale Sondergaard as the mother of the King's eldest son. A lot of nice and funny moments between Dunne and Harrison, I especially liked the scene where they write to Lincoln, as well as the dinner with the Europeans. I felt it lost a lot of its charm after Anna's son left the picture, but it's still a very fun movie.
½ April 8, 2010
It's just hard to get over the white people made-up to be Asian. Otherwise a very interesting film. I enjoyed the extra feature which documented the real Anna more than the movie. Also "The King and I" uses the exact same dialog from this movie.
½ April 6, 2010
Anna and the King of Siam is a good film. Irene Dunn and Rex Harrison worked well together. I thought it was a good film with an interesting story. The production values and the direction are done very well. The movie was full of heart and compassion. Anna and the King of Siam is a must see.
½ February 21, 2010
The matching of Irene Dunne and Rex Harrison works very well in this dramatic treatment that re-dates the much better known musical version 'The King and I'. Irene Dunn is at her headstrong best as Anna Owens, but Harrison is the real treat here as the King of Siam - boisterous, comic and tyrannical, a terrific performance. Most unusual casting of Lee J. Cobb in he role of the King's regent - while Harrison manages to suspend your disbelief playing an Asian, Cobb has his work cut out for him!