Will Smith Developing Annie Remake

Summary

An "Annie" remake starring Will Smith's daughter Willow and featuring music by Jay-Z? It could happen. Back to Article

Comments

dudemeister

dude meister

3 remake stories in one day?! Oh of course of course WIll Smith's daughter will star, of course.

Jan 20 - 04:41 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I absolutely hate how she looks in this picture. Like a mini prima donna who watched a few too many Salt n Peppa videos. And come on, man. A fucking Annie Remake?!

Jan 20 - 05:55 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I wonder if she'll whip her hair back and forth?

In all seriousness Will Smith is a smart guy and I think I can picture where he's going with this. It could work, but the attachment to the original is going to just be name recognition, much like Karate Kid.

Jan 20 - 06:13 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Just so the pendulum swings the other way, now all we need is for a 'White' A-lister to remake a few Blaxploitation films with 'white' actors...

SUPERFLY with Scott Caan anyone?

(Let the flamewar begin...)

Jan 20 - 06:27 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Too true. How about Shaft with Colin Hanks?

Jan 20 - 07:19 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Coffy with Paris Hilton.

Jan 20 - 10:43 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

How about I'm Gonna Git You Sucka! with Kevin Selleck, Julian Ramis, and a CGI reconstruction of Jett Travolta.

Jan 20 - 11:08 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Blacula with Robert Pattinson.

Jan 20 - 11:10 AM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Malcom X with johnny depp

Jan 20 - 11:17 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Since there is no 'reboot-by-sell-date' on anything in cinema these days, why not put out the 'white' version to BLACK DYNAMITE:

WHITE SPARKLERS, starring Conan O'Brien

Jan 20 - 12:47 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

The Color Purple with an entirely white cast, The Color Ivory.

Jan 20 - 01:06 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Anything directed by Tyler Perry...starring Betty 'aptly-named' White as Madea!

Jan 20 - 01:18 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Uh, the pendulum still swings in favor of white people almost all the time. just look at the great majority of movies that come out every month.
For every Will Smith, there are thousands of whites who cast "their own."
Basically, what you want is an all-white world of film.

Jan 20 - 01:26 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Well that's only because most black actors can't act. You've got a handful of talent and a slew of caricatures. For every Will Smith there's a hundred Martin Lawrences and Eddie Murphys. That's not meant to be racist, but maybe it is expressing a stereotype. But that also doesn't make it any less true. It's hard for movie productions to cast when the list of serious, talented black actors is so small.

Jan 20 - 01:43 PM

algreen99

AL Green

**Youve got a handful of talent and a slew of caricatures** you really think that is just amongst black actors? Like really? Hahaha oh my god. I have to go drink some tea after reading that one.

Jan 20 - 03:14 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Black actors can't act?
My, that's racist, isn't it?
Even if black actors couldn't act, since when is true acting talent a requirement. There are plenty of white actors who are terrible actors, yet they continue to receive roles.
And, furthermore, while there are very good actors out there (black ones, too), some of the biggest stars in America aren't so much good actors as good entertainers.

Jan 20 - 07:52 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Stepping Razor...you are a killjoy sir! Spoiled our fun. But you are wrong, the pendulum does not technically swing the other way because I was being ironic: Hollywood isn't rebooting films starring Black actors with White actors...because there aren't very many good ones out there at all (which is, of itself, sad because it shows that Black stories in film are underdeveloped or poorly produced). But imagine if that 'pendulum' did in fact swing the other way regardless of the quality of films? Then you would indeed end up with Johnny Depp as MALCOLM X, Colin Hanks in SHAFT, I'M GONNA TO GIT YOU SUCKA with Kevin Selleck, Julian Ramis, accompanied by a CGI-reconstructed Jett Travolta, THE COLOR IVORY, BLACULA with Robert Pattinson, or COFFY with Paris HIlton. It's called satire...

Jan 20 - 04:30 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

If you're speaking sarcastically, satirically, then sorry, I do tend to hear and read things very literally.
Whitewashing in Hollywood is still going on. Just look how roles for Asian characters are being filled with white actors. Blacks, overall, have made huge strides in Hollywood as of late. Asians are now the new Blacks.
Asian-AMERICANS are almost completely ignored. There are some roles for Asians, but they're almost always stereotypical caricatures, or the underused sidekick, just as Blacks were used decades ago.
For centuries, whites only cast whites, and put them in all sorts of blackface, yellowface, brownface, etc.
The default setting for casting in America is on white. It's a deviation if anyone of color is cast.
Look at the reactions of casting directors who are casting white people to play Asian characters -- they react with shock that someone would even DARE bring that point up.
Since the playing field is still not level, casting, say, a Latino person to play what has traditionally been a White role isn't the same as casting a White person to play a traditionally Latino role. Racism in America isn't a simple issue in which people can simply switch around the races and all is supposed to be the same comparison, the same analogy. That's where a lot of people get it all confused.
The place and social level of Whites in America is different than that of minorities.
This issue is really too complicated to discuss further in my post here -- I easily could write an essay on this.
So, anyway, with satire, it's hard to read it in the printed/typed out word because I can't benefit from hearing the tone of the speaker.

Jan 20 - 08:02 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Well I think there's only so much discourse on racism to be heard in America before it begins to lose relevance altogether. Morgan Freeman, (who you'll remember played 'Red' in SHAWSHANK) said it best here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsEq7mBgcY0

Jan 21 - 03:16 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

In the meantime, feel free to relax a bit and try, (as the rest of us have done) to find some humor in Will 'The Nepotist' Smith's latest attempt at racial-revisionism in cinema. Sure it's annoying, but there's humor in it if you wish to find it.

Jan 21 - 03:19 AM

H. Guy

Josh Price

I am putting this as the front runner for rotten idea of the week.

Jan 20 - 06:44 AM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

Agreed.

Jan 20 - 07:11 AM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

Agreed.

Jan 20 - 07:11 AM

Ryan B.

Ryan Benjamin

this is so disgusting
dnt do that
n the fact that he is putting his daughter star??????
yup he has definitely been taken off of my watch list.
could it work??? possibly.
is it gunna be ostracized? OH YES!

Jan 20 - 07:14 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Too true. How about Shaft with Colin Hanks?

Jan 20 - 07:19 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Why? Because it's cheaper to make a modern remake and having it promoting the original during theatrical release to make sales. Wait, no it doesn't.

Jan 20 - 07:27 AM

Goondockian

Robert Crow

Wow. I don't even wanna watch anything that has Will Smiths' name on it anymore. He is an extremely talented actor who should stay in front of the camera while he still can. Why did he want to remake Karate Kid? Did he really like the movie and want to update it? Or did he just wanted to get his kid the lead part in a movie that he wouldn't have won on his own talent, which imo is sorely lacking. Hmmmmm.

Now his Daughter in Annie? I could really care less about the whole ratial thing that will come about, and you know it will. I care more that if he really wanted to make these "updates" to good films credible, then why are these film ideas revolving more around starring roles for his kids than the movies themselves.

Jan 20 - 09:57 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Yeah, because a story about an orphan needs a little nepotism injected into it.

Jan 20 - 10:04 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

LMAO!!

Jan 20 - 10:44 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I can't really blame him for making movies that his kids can star in. I'd do the same for my kids too if I were him.

I hate Will Smith.

Jan 20 - 10:45 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Mr Burns: "We'll syphon the power from the orphanage. Who are they going to complain to?...Their Parents?"

Jan 20 - 11:42 AM

Jan 20 - 10:59 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Jan 20 - 11:08 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Blacula with Robert Pattinson.

Jan 20 - 11:10 AM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Malcom X with johnny depp

Jan 20 - 11:17 AM

waffleslayer

Eric Fowler

Okay, he probably shouldn't be remaking a film so highly regarded, but keep in mind everybody was saying the exact same thing about The Karate Kid. Look how that turned out: it was a pretty good movie, with an actual acting role for Jackie Chan, and Jaden Smith wasn't so bad either.
So, while I'd prefer he pick something else, Will Smith seems to be a fairly smart guy. I'm going to wait to see how this turns out before screaming my lungs off.

Jan 20 - 11:22 AM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

I just have to vent a bit on the Karate Kid since some have brought it up. I don't get how it received the positive reviews that it did. Especially when you place it alongside the original. Smith's Karate Kid should have been called the Kung Fu Kid which really should have been called The Concerned Kid because that's the only note that Jaden seemed to hit the entire film. "Dre we're moving to China" *script note* (Jaden looks concerned). "Dre those kids will destroy you!" *script note* (Jaden looks concerned). "Dre we're out of milk." *script note* (Jaden looks concerned). "Dre we've won $50 million in the lottery!" *script note* (Jaden looks concerned). That's how that film felt to me, for two hours. I'd rather have Johnny and Cobra Kai any day.

Jan 20 - 12:42 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 20 - 11:42 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

The sun will come out ...TOMORROW MUTHAFUCKAS!!!

it could work.

Jan 20 - 12:32 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel