• PG, 1 hr. 33 min.

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Annie Hall Reviews

Red L

March 1, 2014
I guess I just don't like films with Woody Allen in them. I try to watch them, but he prattles on and on.
Wildaly M

January 15, 2008
I liked this very much, especially the dialogue.
Kase V

July 26, 2013
Woody Allen's neurotic and original classic 'Annie Hall' still holds up as a poignant comedy to this day. Not only is it hilarious, but Allen's fresh techniques and style compliment the film and place it above and beyond other comedies of the era. An exuberant mix of heart, laughs, and societal issues, 'Annie Hall' is sure to capture any contemporary audience as much as it did back when it was first released.
Daniel P

April 24, 2007
Creative for its time, and it must have been a real shock to Allen's fans - who'd see this coming after Bananas, Love and Death, etc.? - but it's a film I find grossly overrated. Landmark performance for Diane Keaton, and a script with lots of twists and turns (not to mention some great zingers), but for a non-cliched ending like this one it's still rather twee. And though I know it's the point, it's not much fun watching such unlikeable characters. A valuable film that showed a new side of Woody Allen - a dramatic one - but one that's not nearly as fun to watch as reported to be. It's important to see but I don't think it ages well.
c0up
c0up

August 31, 2012
'Annie Hall'. I'm head over heels in love with Diane Keaton's Annie. Woody Allen as Alvy is a neurotic, wickedly funny, meta literate that is punching so absurdly above his weight!

The dialogue hums along, and the whole film is consistently funny and smart. A wonderful romantic comedy.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

June 26, 2011
A nervous romance.

The film that bested Star Wars for the 1977 Best Picture Oscar, Annie Hall is a remarkable achievement in filmmaking that transcends its simple, romantic premise to create a stunning portrait of not only 70's pop culture, but of human nature cumulative. Woody Allen is brilliant as he usually is. Diane Keaton hit super-stardom as well with her role. The supporting cast includes the likes of Carol Kane, Shelley Duvall, Tony Roberts, Christopher Walken and Colleen Dewhurst. Look for an unknown Jeff Goldblum as an extra during the Los Angeles sequence. Very good movie. If your into movies a lot you need to see this.

Annie Hall is a film about a comedian, Alvy Singer (Woody Allen), who falls in love with Annie Hall (Diane Keaton). Both of the characters are completely different but both strikingly entertaining and unusual. Alvy is an extreme pessimist that obsesses over the subject of death and has very sarcastic and cynical views about the world and the people around him. Annie is a ditsy and clumsy talented singer and photographer. When Alvy and Annie meet for the first time they are instantly attracted to each other and as a result their conversations are awkward but never the less adorable. The film takes you through the couple's love lives, before and after their relationship. Alvy often comes out of the scene he is in to talk directly to the audience about his views on whatever situation he is in, this makes the film unusual but more interesting. The film is very sweet and funny but unfortunately quite sad as well.
Lewis C

January 23, 2010
Before Annie Hall, I had only seen the more recent Woody Allen movies. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (very good), Match Point (good), and Scoop (awful). Needless to say Annie Hall was a bit of a shock. It was was very different from those later Allen films.

I love how Woody is unafraid to throw any and everything at the viewer. Any story-telling device or technique that he wants to use, he just goes for it. Talking directly to the audience, flashbacks, asides, they all combine to tell the story of a relationship - piece by piece. This isn't a straightforward narrative, and it's a better movie as a result. Every time I thought things were beginning to bog down a little, some awesome joke or interesting narrative flourish would come out of nowhere and jolt my interest back into what was going on. That's how you make a relationship movie interesting for those who typically avoid these kinds of flicks.

Take all those complimentary things I've just said and wrap them in the kind of bittersweet, memorable ending that I love, and you have Annie Hall in a nutshell. I never really appreciated how smart Woody is, before i watched this. It's funny and intelligent and full of the kind of references and jokes that makes me wish I could write this kind of thing. Great movie.
Sam B

February 16, 2012
As painfully honest (and sometimes warped) as Woody Allen's films are known to be, Annie Hall is charming thanks to the performances and the chemistry, but its structurally off-putting and repetitive. Allen writes the movie's problems right into the script at one point, but acknowledging something doesn't make it go away.
Joshua W

January 10, 2012
I found this film humorist but dont think it's any better then most of Woodie Allens one note films. I like the change of story but all jokes seemed sort of forced.
paul o.
paul o.

December 29, 2011
Its a romance that captures the quirkiness in us all. Its a romance that commentates on the idea of love itself. Woody Allen may have had his share of failed relationships but Annie Hall is the most artful way for him to vent about his emotions about them. Its not a masterpiece but its a classic.
Kyle F.
Kyle F.

November 25, 2011
Although Annie Hall's apparent lack of structure annoyed me at first, I soon realized that there was no need for structure. Woody Allen just lays it all out on the screen, and it's a wonderfully funny and observant tour de force. Woody himself is the perfect centerpiece for a portrait of life that seems almost to be both a cartoon and a documentary. Diane Keaton is likeable and amusing as Annie. Tony Roberts is laugh out loud funny as Allens best friend in a performance that, while seemingly simple, is perfectly measured and texturized. Mordecai Lawner and Joan Neuman are obnoxiously entertaining in their brief roles as Allen's parents. The end product is a movie that's bitter sweet. It stings you but makes you grin at the same time, and it covers more ground, emotion, and philosophy during its ninety minute running time than most two hour thirty minute movies can claim.
Alexander D

August 4, 2011
ANNIE HALL was a decent, honest, and sometimes hilarious look at relationships in romantic comedy format (somehow it's not at all a chick flick), but there's no way it should have ever won the Best Picture Oscar, particularly over STAR WARS.

Before I saw this, I was pretty sure that the biggest Oscar disappointment was either THE COLOR PURPLE not winning Best Picture, or THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION not winning Best Picture. Now I'm almost positive that STAR WARS not winning is numero uno, since it lost to something like this. And 98% of Rotten Tomatoes critics liked it? Talk about ridicule.

That's not to say this was a bad film. It's just far too overrated. Both Woody Allen and Diane Keaton make this a hoot, with odd double entendres and euphemisms that eventually evolve into hilarity after a while. The irking thing is that the plot is, overall, dull, and no matter how many times Allen breaks the fourth wall, we can't really ever buy the talking-to-the-camera joke into our believability.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 28, 2011
A classic movie, Woody Allens masterpiece.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 20, 2008
This is such a cute movie. Woody Allen is this babbling, cute little man who drives Diane Keaton's character insane. Seriously, Woody Allen is such a cute little man I could put him in my pocket. This is the first Woody Allen movie I've ever seen and I really enjoyed this comical movie, and hope to watch more WA films. Love this movie!!!!! An all time classic!!! :) :) :)
Dan S

October 24, 2007
The ultimate romantic-comedy, featuring Woody Allen at the top of his game as a neurotic stand-up comic who ventures into a relationship with an aloof, shy woman (Diane Keaton) who shares his insecurities. What makes this film so special is Allen's ability to break the fourth wall with such skill, which in turn involves his audience more and makes us sympathize with his grating character just a bit more. Throw in a brilliant perspective on relationships and how different men and women perceive them, this thing is downright funny as well. A great cast adds to the depth of this picture overall, and one that absolutely can not be missed by those that love romantic-comedies.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

December 5, 2009
While I had heard a lot about Annie Hall, I wasn't totally sure what to expect. The only thing that seems to be remembered about the film is that it is among Woody Allen's best and also for the character of Annie. The movie really is not as funny as Allen's usual work, at least not by way of jokes and gags, but overall it is a much ingenious film. The style reminded my a lot of (500) Days of Summer: the thoughts/words sequence, the cartoon segment, even the characters are very, very similiar. As far as that goes it sort of dims the 'originality' of 'Summer'. Still, I loved the movie, loved the characters. It's a sweet charming movie, and just better all around that what you would generally expect from Woody Allen.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Yes, this film truly is worth all the praise it gets, and for all the reasons people name. The writing is fresh and fun, the performances are just terrific, it is brilliant shot, directed, and edited, bringing in lots of innovative and effective techniiques to the narrative, and it features some good lessons. As innovative and great as I thought (500) Days of Summer was, I now know that it owes a massive debt to this film. It's isn't a complete rip off as it does come into its own, but yeah, it definitely takes from this one. Something that caught me was how I used to think that the creepy performance from Christopher Walken came after he won his Oscar for The Deer Hunter in 1979 and not before it.

Obviously I recommend this. I'm glad this was my first Allen film (even though I'm already familiar with his work, having read four of his books).
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

May 10, 2010
Annie Hall is a departure from the broad humor of Woody Allen's previous films, "Sleeper" and "Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, But Were Afraid to Ask", drawing inspiration from Ingmar Bergman (as Allen plays with reality and fiction, intermingling characters memories and breaking the 4th wall) and other cinema heroes of the cineaste Allen. The humor is more cerebral, more contextual, and the film-making itself is wonderful. We flashback to his childhood, where he'd depressed about the universe expanding. His mother, exasperated, yells at him "what is that your business!". Right from the start, he says he has a hyper-active imagination, and then proceeds to take us through his lifestory, which especially revolves around a woman named Annie Hall. Through the course of their relationship, Annie seems to undergo a personality change, from sweet midwestern girl to pseudo-sophisticated California girl. It's an odd relationship that doesn't work out, and most of the movie is spent explaining why (although the basic explanation is relationships cool and people grow apart). Still, this film is basically a comedy, and most of Allen's dialogue is one liners (he plays a comedian living in New York City). It's not quite as good as Manhattan, but then again, few films are.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
I really loved some of the stylistic and story elements. They were hilarious. I also just adore Woody Allen's kind of stumbling-for-his-lines delivery, he's so one of a kind. I gotta say I think this may have been one of the earliest of the modern romantic dramadey. Definitely a role-definer.
LOVE the random little one line and single shot of Jeff Goldblum!!!!
Daniel J D

July 24, 2007
I'm not sure how I made it this long without watching this film. It's one of the best I've ever seen. Woody Allen and Diane Keaton are completely mesmerizing and believable. Everyone and everything else in this movie excel as well.