—— Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Anonymous Reviews

August 19, 2012
The way I see it, this was more of a celebratory intent than just a conspiracy theory it was seemingly known for.
DO NOT FORGET MY NAME
November 9, 2013
The hacktivist group is more legitimate than this. I'm actually a big supporter of Anonymous, though...
October 20, 2013
A revisionist period piece set against a backdrop of English intrigue and political manoeuvring as Roland Emmerich tries to convince the audience that Shakespeare was not the author of his plays but a 'jerk' actor who was in the right place at the right time. Some of this ground has been covered in the more serious 'Elizabeth' as well as the more entertaining 'Shakespeare in Love' and although everyone gives it their best shot (CGI perfected in Emmerich's '2012' & 'Independence Day' creates an authentic medieval London) the whole thing falls flat from its ludicrous assertions and tiring dialogue. Despite great costumes, there is no need to worry about Billy Wobblestick's reputation just yet if this is the best evidence on offer in this rather dull film of the bored bard on the big screen. 5/10 Midlands Movies Mike
johnnytangster
September 5, 2011
Ifans is convincingly world-weary as the earl who prefers writing sonnets to the pageantry of court life. Anonymous aims to be epic but is closer to stately soap opera. Anonymous is fun - if you take the anti-Shakespearean tale as events set in an unreal, alternate universe. Anonymous starts admirably quickly, but Emmerich repeatedly forgets to look over his shoulder to see if his audience is keeping track of which stringy-haired Calvin Klein model is which. The film as a whole isn't quite as interesting, though it is noteworthy that action specialist Emmerich has clearly decided to change course here from anything he's previously made. Although this is primarily a writer's film, with John Orloff's screenplay (and dialogue) placed front and center, Anonymous surprises with how classical, staid and traditional Emmerich's mise-en-scene is, never straying from tried-and-true costumer standards. Anonymous is well-paced and never threatens to bore or become too scholarly.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film... (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
October 7, 2013
So Shakespeare was a fraud??
October 6, 2013
Good entertaining fictional historic movie. Just don't try to chew on whether the history is true or not but enjoy the plot.
jenjimenez3gmailcom
September 20, 2013
I expected so much more after watching the trailer.
September 3, 2013
Great story. Perfect way to open and end the movie. Definitely worth watching.
August 20, 2011
The marketing for this film was completely different from the experience of watching the film itself and therefore find myself disappointed in the film I saw, not because it was bad, but due to the unrealistic expectations set by the marketing
August 29, 2013
It is a very entertaining story. It grasped my attention immediately.
July 16, 2013
An interesting concept and a commendable performance by Redgrave as Elizabeth I cannot save a film that suffers from strange jumps in its internal timeframe and in the end does not sufficiently persuade as to its essential premise.
October 24, 2011
I am not sure if it is that difficult or I was just tired, but I had a hard time keeping up with this one. I felt like I needed more background information on all the characters besides Shakespeare. I found this one a little disappointing.
Jed
July 10, 2013
Um, what just happened?
July 12, 2013
love this movie. rhys ifans is so sexy in it. and of course his younger self jamie campbell bower, yummy. this was a great movie.
January 17, 2012
So, I enjoy Shakespeare, and even though I'm skeptical about all the conspiracy theories surrounding his work, I decided to watch this anyway. And I'm kind of in the middle of the road here. On one hand, delving into the origin of all those plays was really interesting, and seeing what inspired them, whether it is actually true or not, was really cool. But there were other parts I was like really? Like the whole modern day play thing used as the bookends? Yeah not needed. Plus all of that was inaccurate. The actor rushing in and walking onstage and starts talking? No clapping at the end of the show? Yeah no. I don't know if it's because I'm a theatre person, but stuff like that bugs me haha. But, back to the movie. Also, the whole random affair withe the queen, and the many twists and turns that followed? That's the stuff that made me skeptical, instead of the Shakespeare stuff. Also, seeing Shakespeare portrayed as an illiterate drunkard versus how we normally see him was a little odd, but it fit with the premise of the movie. On that topic, the acting is quite good from this ensemble case that includes Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave, David Thewlis and more. Overall, this is interesting and kept my attention, but it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.
July 4, 2013
By NO means am I a Shakespeare fan..however this film is interesting and worth the watch.
July 2, 2013
If there's any truth in this story, I would never read Shakespeare's in the same way as before.
July 2, 2013
despite an implausible plot and confusing time jumping, 'anonymous' boasts comprehensive themes. the nature of pretension and acting is a fascinating subject.
September 2, 2011
The critical and popular backlash against this movie is surprising to me. This is a great story with great performances. It's not unlike Oliver Stone's masterpiece "JFK". You have to let go of the complete plausibility and reality of the story, and just enjoy it for playing with the ideas so well.
June 14, 2013
So unbelievably terrible that it has me retroactively disliking Band of Brothers (one of Orloff's previous effort). The chronology of the plays is presented in the wrong order, the scenes between Ben Johnson and Shakespeare border on farce, the Tudor rose for some inexplicable reason is shown growing in a garden (it was a graphic symbol of the Yorks & Lancasters, not a biological reality. How dumb can you get?), The Essex rebellion had nothing to do with Richard III (which predates it), generally bad & hammy acting, and the authorship question is of course, obvious nonsense. The movie begins with Derek Jacobi mimicking the Greek chorus role he previously inhabited in Henry V, except that he begins with a monologue quoting Mark Twain's much discredited essay Is Shakespeare Dead? The grimy atmosphere of Elizabethan England is undercut by some unimpressive CGI. As a historical drama the film plays so fast and loose with dates and people that it barely can be considered to be even in the vein of a historical drama. As a fictional drama it fares no better. So I have no idea who this film is meant to appeal to. Its so blatant in its disregard for history that anyone interested in Elizabethan history will not enjoy it. As fiction its bland and pointless. For Shakespeare buffs it only offers a greatest hits series of blurbs from his plays performed by second rate high school drama class skill level actors, and that's on top of the excessive liberties taken with Shakespeare's biography. There's no real target audience for this film. Kapur's Elizabeth films at least look impressive with their costumes and pageantry, but the court scenes in this version are anemic and underwhelming.